Author Topic: Candy Cane Burst  (Read 4886 times)

Offline dduck

• Kudos: 0
Re: Candy Cane Burst
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 06:34:28 PM »
Algerdes:  The candy canes are slightly larger than the outer dimension of a 1/2" PVC stub.
So I have a small 1/2" stub and a clamp that tightens around the stub.     I only use 17 of the
connectors of the Porcupine ball and thus I cut out one of the connectors near the bottom to
allow for me to wire the wires inside the ball.   Not real easy but I use long needle nose pliers
from the outside to the inside and try to feed the wires inside to the pliers.  After wiring I used
hot glue to put the cutout connector back in place to prevent moisture from entering the ball.
I actually use 6 feeds or 1 feed for every 3 canes.   Probably overkill but if one cane goes out at
most two others will also go out.  See the attached image of the ball near the end of completion.
Best one I could find without retaking another pic but this was using Pex stubs which I replaced later
because PVC had a snugger fit into the ball.   I used a Falcon 8 to control these.

I got my Porcupine Balls from Bass Pro shops(3-pack).  I have seen them also at Cabelas.   

For the arches I used 1" straight Pex.   Since it is a little flimsy I used zip ties to connect to a 1"
regular PVC pipe.   I have 100 pixels drilled every 2".   I was thinking of using 2" HDPE and I liked
the look but the pipe is kind of expensive to ship and the pipe is rather stiff.

jneland:    I used Nutcracker/xlights and Fpp/Fpd to drive the show.   The mega tree is about
21 feet tall to the base of the star.   Each strand has 81 lights at 3" spacing.  I then have 24
strands of the following standard DLA lights:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/128-node-LED-pixel-string-DC12V-input-new-model-IP68-TM1804IC/701799_495658226.html

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 124
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 09:20:39 PM »
These are really cool....I think I found the hubs, but they only come in a 3 pk (http://www.amazon.com/Cedars-Dance-Porcupine-Attractor-Spheres/dp/B001BAAVMK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1V5W8BD95J8QSNAK36QG) ... would there be anyone interested in splitting this with me (i.e. I buy 3pk and then sell the other 2.  probably be $20 each including shipping)?  I only need 1 and $40 is steep for me to buy it for just the one.
I'd buy an extra porcupine ball from your thee pack.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 08:26:35 AM »
So the next question is will you share your nutcracker xml and rgbeffects files?  As a very bad sequencer I appreciate everything that helps me get started on a new song.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline csimmon5

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 08:28:43 AM »
These are really cool....I think I found the hubs, but they only come in a 3 pk (http://www.amazon.com/Cedars-Dance-Porcupine-Attractor-Spheres/dp/B001BAAVMK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1V5W8BD95J8QSNAK36QG) ... would there be anyone interested in splitting this with me (i.e. I buy 3pk and then sell the other 2.  probably be $20 each including shipping)?  I only need 1 and $40 is steep for me to buy it for just the one.
I'd buy an extra porcupine ball from your thee pack.

Sounds good....i think ill go ahead and get some.  Theres a cabela's nearby so I will not have to pay shipping.  Not looking to make money on these, just break even.  So whatever the cost is divided by 3, then add shipping (probably flat rate box).  will keep you posted.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 09:30:05 AM »
As I wait for the deliverance of the porcupine balls, I've been trying to figure out what else I needed.  My calculations were dead on to what you describe as the process.  :)

A really good looking and functional setup. 

Thank you for all the information.  Good stuff to know.

Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline txag2008

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 01:23:10 PM »
Very cool effect!

On a side note, what are the specs of your mega tree that is in front of the house on the left in the video?
Height/width, # of strands, node spacing....

Offline csimmon5

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 02:34:48 PM »
I went ahead and picked up a 3pk from Cabela's.  I only need 1, so I have 2 extra.  First come first serve ($20 each which includes shipping).  PM me.

Offline csimmon5

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 08:55:11 PM »
I went ahead and picked up a 3pk from Cabela's.  I only need 1, so I have 2 extra.  First come first serve ($20 each which includes shipping).  PM me.

Both sold
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 11:09:14 AM by csimmon5 »