Author Topic: Pi B+ to router to Arduino mega as well as E682 - HELP!  (Read 2887 times)

Offline musicmaneman38

• Kudos: 0
Pi B+ to router to Arduino mega as well as E682 - HELP!
« on: January 16, 2015, 11:45:06 AM »
So i have a Pi B+ and I also have two Arduino Mega 2560's which run my incandescent lights. How can i connect them to the pi to run a show as well as run E682 dmx boards?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:49:32 AM by MyKroFt »

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
Re: Pi B+ to router to Arduino mega as well as E682 - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 07:47:13 PM »
How are you connecting them now?  What protocol does your show PC use to talk to the Arduino?  FPP can handle E1.31 to the E682 fine, FPP can drive 128 universes easily and I have tested it up to 256 universes on the Pi.

We can look at adding another Channel Output driver to FPP if you can point me to something that documents the protocol you are currently using for the Arduino.
-
Chris

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 09:33:24 AM »
Capt'n.

This is something additional that I would like to explorer in using some straight AC device control in my show.

I was thinking about using the DJ Lighting equipment that is DMX enabled. They support dimming and could be treated as straight DMX devices, however; they do not use RGB. It is just a straight intensity value. This would be great for lights but for motorized items or props like that, using Relays where no dimming is useful, you need a way to be able to either program them into your sequence - I was thinking using VIRTUAL LOR channels, and have those channels map to the RELAYS that are connected to the PI, or remap those channels out to a DMX controller box, or a PI in Bridge accepting E1.31 DMX and output to the RELAY control in slave mode.

I want to be able to sequence in these props and trying to figure out the best way to do that.

Virtual channels seems the way to get this achieved and you would be able to make that happen in a Bridge/direct attach/controlled environment . It would allow a sequencer like LOR or xLights to control them ! :)

I have 1 x8 relay from Saindevices and a 1x16 from saindevices that I can test with.

Using the descriptions on the web. they tie directly into the GPIO headers!

Ben
Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 11:52:28 AM »
FPP can control those relays via a 'GPIO' Channel Output but if you are turning them on and off lots you may burn through their cycle rating.  Solid state relays are the better way to go if you can.  They aren't that expensive per output and there are several options available on the various DIY sites.

You also will probably want to play your sequences on the Pi using FPP instead of using bridge mode.  It frees up your main sequencing PC.

Offline musicmaneman38

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 11:42:04 AM »
Right now I am running generic  serial output through vixen 3 via USB to the arduino. I would like to parallel the arduino and a 27 channel  DMX board as well as an e682 off the PI player.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 08:35:03 PM »
It will be trivial to add a "Generic Serial" Channel Output to FPP, so I went ahead and added it to my v2.0 TODO list.  I can't say when it will get done, but it will probably be in the next month or so as I work through converting the Channel Output code to C++ classes.   Once I do that, it will be in our master code branch which can be tested using the developer page in the FPP UI.

Offline ssharpe83713

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 12:20:15 PM »
Just checking in on your January 2015 post regarding the addition of a "Generic Serial" channel output to support driving an Arduino directly from RPi.  Should I assume it is not contained in the latest FPP software release?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 03:16:33 PM »
Just checking in on your January 2015 post regarding the addition of a "Generic Serial" channel output to support driving an Arduino directly from RPi.  Should I assume it is not contained in the latest FPP software release?

It did not make it in for v1.5.  I want to get it done for v1.6 which I am trying to finalize, but I haven't finished it yet.

How do other programs allow you to enter the header and footer data, do you specify strings with hex values like "0x14 0x10" or is it something different? I haven't coded the UI part yet so I'd like to match up with what others have done to make it easier for users to relate to.

Offline ssharpe83713

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 06:41:19 PM »
I've only used Vixen 3 with my Arduino Mega.  The Vixen 3 UI provides a controller configuration input cell for the user to enter the header/footer string directly from the keyboard using the applicable symbols (no hex required)...see attached screenshot.  On the Arduino end, the code looks for a character match to proceed...see additional screenshot.  Thanks for your constant improvement efforts!

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 08:58:23 PM »
Thanks, that will be easy to setup in the FPP UI.  This should be in v1.6.