Author Topic: Cannot program channel (Solved!)  (Read 2872 times)

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Christmas in Boise
Cannot program channel (Solved!)
« on: January 17, 2015, 09:17:03 AM »
OK this is the same F16 that I thought that I had repaired see http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,2043.0.html. Now my probelm is that I cannot get it to accept data. By that I mean the channels will not program and I have no data led flash after boot. It does flash rapidly upon boot up and all other leds light and stay lit. As per Jon's suggestion I have retouched ALL solder joints (all have flowed to the top of the board), removed the 490 chips and jumpered all passive hub terminals, reflashed the pic successfully, replaced the rs485 chips, and replaced the voltage regulators. I am going straight from my FPD Port 1 (set to pixelnet universe 1) using a short known good cat 5 cable with jumpers on F16 pixelnet set to 1-2. Open for suggestions.

Roger
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:42:04 PM by rdebolt »

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
Re: Cannot program channel
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 06:04:44 AM »
I have a very limited understanding but gotta ask if test mode works?  Only other thing I can think of is that I recall others needing to replace the clock after similar incidents.  Hopefully others chime in.  Maybe ship to Dave and he can work his magic? 
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 06:08:21 AM »
Do you have a second f16 or hub that you test to make sure data is flowing out that cat5 cable?
Ryan

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 11:26:42 AM »
Thanks Guys.  Sam yes test works. David has already offered to repair for me, but he is busy enough and this is not a pressing issue for me. As I explained to David my Mega tree is driven by an F16 and a Zeus 16 and thier timing is off just enough so that half of my tree is slightly different than the other. By that if I say make a bars effect go up and down the tree you can see a line  where they are not timed exactly. Make any sense? The only reason that I wanted to fix it now is that my entire display is still up and I have not done any video yet so I wanted it perfect. I am just going to "Back burner" it until a later date.

Drlucas the cable is just a 5' cable on my desk that I use for everything and have programed other controllers since this issue so I am 100% sure that the cables are good.

Thanks again for the input guys!
Roger

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 12:02:14 PM »
Man, that's tough.  Ok, so whatever it is I am sure you would need to order parts for so your best bet is to borrow one to shoot the vids.  Got anyone local-ish?   

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 06:14:31 PM »
Man, that's tough.  Ok, so whatever it is I am sure you would need to order parts for so your best bet is to borrow one to shoot the vids.  Got anyone local-ish?   

Almost have enough parts here to build a whole one!  ;)  No one anywhere near me! It's fine I'll shoot and get what I get......not trying to win an Emmy anyway!  ;D

Roger

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 06:01:01 PM »
I am going straight from my FPD Port 1 (set to pixelnet universe 1) using a short known good cat 5 cable with jumpers on F16 pixelnet set to 1-2. Open for suggestions.

Roger

What is your Board ID setting per the little white sliders?
Try setting them all to OFF so that your board is ID address in the Falcon Controller Software v1.2.2 is "0"
Also, be sure that "Enable Hybrid/Control" is not checked to start with.
Since you have the jumpers set to 1 and 2, did you set the universes for the F16 to be 1, or 2, or 1&2 ?

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 12:41:18 PM »
Well I got back to it last night finally. I'm sure that everyone knows the definition of insanity.....Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results! WELL THIS TIME IT WORKED!  :o  I had replaced the RS485 chips twice before. The first time fixed the short. The second time did nothing. Mind you these were all brand new, not used ones. So the third time I decided to use known good ones (from my back up FPD) and I'll be darned if it worked. Programmed channels and installed on megatree. Took some video last night and so far so good. I guess that I got a bad batch of chips from Mouser, but at least I have it up and running! Thanks for the input guys! I really do appreciate the help.

Roger

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
Re: Cannot program channel (Solved!)
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 01:21:41 PM »
Glad to see you got it fixed.  Looking forward to some vids!

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Re: Cannot program channel (Solved!)
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 02:09:21 PM »
Thanks Sam. Don't have high expectations for the vids!!! My show is NOTHING like most. Almost embarrassed to post, but I will get some up.

Roger