Author Topic: Ray's latest TM1809s - red LEDs failing big time  (Read 7376 times)

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
Ray's latest TM1809s - red LEDs failing big time
« on: January 24, 2015, 01:11:07 PM »
I had Ray replace about 30 or so 3m strips (90 lights per strip) after most of the lights failed on me over two weeks. Well, the latest 1809s held up pretty good for me over December. I brought my matrix in on News Years day when the weather was half decent and just went to do some matrix tools testing this afternoon and I have a very large number of failed red lights. The temps were a yo-yo for us in December ranging from the single digits up to maybe 50 a few days....most around the freezing mark though. Well, anyways today on my 32x90 matrix I have what I'd guess is about 100 or so defective red lights. Has anyone else brought their new TM1809s inside after being out in the cold and done any testing? I did a real quick test about 2 weeks ago but didn't notice anything broken until I went to do the testing today. Will post a video so you can see what's happened.
Ryan

Offline drlucas

• Developer
Re: Ray's latest TM1809s - red LEDs failing big time
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 01:13:27 PM »

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 01:15:03 PM »
And another with just red

https://vimeo.com/117683759

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 04:49:04 PM »
Up close pics

Tried to move the ports and strips around to where I had a good strip (not many) and no luck. Also tried the basic test mode of the f16 and same thing. So eliminated any xlights or fpd issues. Issue is these dang strips!!!

I asked ray if he wants me to ship him back at least one to troubleshoot.

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 06:29:43 PM »
it hard to tell from the photo but do R1, R2, R3 of dead section in value R1, R2, R3 the same in the working section ?
Jerry Plak

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 06:16:27 AM »
Not following you. I think each led now has a processor, a cap, a diode and 4 resistors (one for each color and one overall). As the blue and green work I believe that the RR resistor or LED  is flawed. Unless there is a different resistor    Type/value being used for red I am more leaning towards the led itself being the issue because it's hard to believe this problem would happen otherwise. Don't understand electronics enough to say for sure though.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 06:50:23 AM »
Have you "massaged" the components in that area? If the problem is bad solder joints, then they will frequently come on. If they do relight, the fix is to slice open the sheath and reflow the joints.

My tm1809 strips are still outside.

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 07:08:06 AM »
I did have that with a couple of the LEDs back in October when I first got the new strips....and I am noticing some of the lights that are off will come back on. I'm not sure with my multimeter if I can check any levels between resistors and see if it a component failed, or if it is just the solder.

Are your 1809s the newer model that you can splice in more frequently, or the older ones? The new ones also have slightly different spacing than the previous version. Of course, you being in Texas, might mean that the problem doesn't show up as much for you with the change in temperatures.

Offline toozie21

• Kudos: 0
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 08:34:05 AM »
I know we've talked while we were both in the designing phase, but how did you affix your strips?

I used WS2811 strips from DIYLEDEXPRESS and didn't have a single failure. I ran 24x7 from Nov 1 until about Jan 4 or so. I am not tooting my horn, just trying to point out that if you want to stick with strips, do it. Because I don't see why it can't be done.

Short and badly typed since written from my phone...

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 11:14:25 AM »
If you zoom in on the pic I posted in reply 3 above you'll see all those red failed LEDs, well, in that picture it shows how I attached them the best. I used 1/2" PVC screwed into a 4x8 piece of plywood. From there I drilled holes on the top and bottom of the PVC about every 12" or so along the plywood. I then left about 1/8" inch gap and put the next piece of PVC on the plywood. Then the strip goes on the PVC and I used zip ties through the holes I drilled to keep them in place. I pulled the zip tie pretty snug, but not too tight - enough so I could slide the strip down or rotate it a bit so that all the LEDs would line up nicely. I thought about gluing them onto the PVC and also though about using a sheet of plastic instead of the ply and PVC...would of saved a TON of weight, but didn't find a guy who could make the sheet for me until after i bought all my PVC. At 30 cents a LED and the fact it was Ray, I had a higher expectation with the product...as for a US store vs a Chinese store, I figured most of the US stores were just reselling the stuff from China anyways. If that's not the case, then I might consider buying state side.

I know we've talked while we were both in the designing phase, but how did you affix your strips?

I used WS2811 strips from DIYLEDEXPRESS and didn't have a single failure. I ran 24x7 from Nov 1 until about Jan 4 or so. I am not tooting my horn, just trying to point out that if you want to stick with strips, do it. Because I don't see why it can't be done.

Short and badly typed since written from my phone...

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 05:17:53 PM »
So...seems that Ray is not overly convinced he has any quality issues with his strips. Given this matrix worked from November - December with no issues, having so many lights fail doesn't seem like a PSU related issue...especially since I have 4 power supplies (some from DL380s and some from a IBM server) and strips on each of the different supplies all failed. It's not clean power from house to the power supplies through a UPS, so there is a chance of a spike, but before I send some things back to china, is there any testing on my own I can do?

Dear Mr.Ryan,
i have explained this to my engineer, we could not find where is the problem.
i am sure the resistor is no problem,please check if your power supply has a higher voltage(more than 12v) output,

because if your power supply is not stable, it would burn the red led first(as the red chip need only 2.0-2.4V voltage, the green and blue can work more than 3.5V)
that is fine to send me some pieces of the defective strip for research

thanks and best regards

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 06:35:17 PM »
That does bring up something I considered back in December. Since I knew from experimentation that my TM1804 bullet pixels were stable with an 11vdc input (120 pixels per strand), I did dial down the power supply output to 11.5vdc. 

I did not do the same for my TM1809 strips like yours, though I could have. For them, I just made sure the voltage was 12.0vdc with no load and verified that it didn't rise or drop when my strip matrix was full on (also 120 pixels).

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 08:01:27 PM »
I'm using the supplies in this post here...

http://www.tjinguytech.com/my-projects/HP47A

It does say 12.33v, so there is a chance I'm completely responsible for this power issue on my strips. I did measure the voltage at one point at the end of the strip and it was always consistent and never over 12v.

How does one reduce the voltage easily?

I've heard of buck converters before, but never purchased one.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 09:23:00 PM »
Well, there's the big difference. I am using the Ray Wu power supplies that are clones of the Meanwell supplies. They have an adjustment pot on the left side, making it very easy.

Computer power supplies may not have such an adjustment. If you see an adjustable resistor anywhere, that is probably what its for.

My TM1804 square pixels are powered by a PC supply and I could do nothing. Next year, I'm not using any PC supplies, just the Meanwell style.

JonB

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 11:04:02 AM »
Just caught a glimpse of this in tapatalk...  I found the same thing as Jon, I found most of my stuff preferred less than 12v.  In the end, I dialed them in visually and not with meter at is was around 11v.

I cannot help but draw the same conclusion as Ray and his guy with all the failures being red.  I would think there would be a adjustment pot inside the HP PS?  I am with Jon that I am sticking with these PS.  On Amazon there are plenty of the Meanwell clones for like $20 shipped.  The few I bought did not output more than 11V but in the end, they worked better and I had to dial the strong ones down...  weird.  That said, I would think a little more voltage would not do damage like that.   
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653