Author Topic: Ray's latest TM1809s - red LEDs failing big time  (Read 7377 times)

Online twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
Re: Ray's latest TM1809s - red LEDs failing big time
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 12:02:25 PM »
I'm doing away with the computer power supplies because they are a pain in the end trying to "mount" in some fashion.  This just sells that for me because honestly I never checked the voltage on them.  :-[

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 12:38:29 PM »
I will tell you to have a few extra of these Meanwell clones on hand.  The fan in everyone of mine even Ray's is wonky.  Stalls/stutters/loud/what have you and it affects output.  Most times a knock or power cycle and it will be fine until you stop it again.  I leave mine all constantly...  If you like to power things down every night, you might have to get the real deal.   

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Transformer/dp/B00NTXRR3I/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422560215&sr=1-11&keywords=12v+360w
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Online twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 12:57:11 PM »
I've got 3 power supplies from DIYLED and I like/have no issues with them.  I also have 2 from HolidayCoro and the fan on the HolidayCoro ones are constant/loud/annoying.  Not sure the real difference because you really wouldn't know it looking at them but something is sure different :)

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 02:14:18 PM »
DIYLED just probably figured out where to lube them. ;D  I need to just crack one open and give it chance. 

Getting back on topic.  I had a bunch of issues with 2811 strips.  I got them from another member so not sure where from.  Best I could tell was that some components were not solderered well BUT "massaging" made them work.  Of course, they never lit once I got them where I wanted and had to splice  ;D  In the end, I got really good at splicing them.  That said, maybe everyone figured this out already, but I think the best way to fix is not to splice but to remove the entire strip from the sheath and fix/test/etc and then install into new sheathing and connectors.  Just buy a roll of extra sheathing. 

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 06:43:04 PM »
Yes...i ran into the problem, pull the entire strip out, splice, pull back again. just it's tricky to pull through that plastic. I need to figure out if a pull string works as my strip always got stuck 1/2 way. next year matrix will be replaced with p10s. I'll see if Ray will do something for me with the failed lights, maybe toss in a few extra rolls and put a warning sign when people buy these to use his or adjustable PSU. This will save many people a lot of grief in the future. I think I'm somewhat convinced of too much good power pushing the resistors to their max. Now to see how much I can save after splicing. UGH!!!

I'm still disappointed to hear about this now, and a bit concerned that I never had a failure during the season. Maybe its a threshold thing and I was just pushing the limits.
Ryan

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 05:52:44 AM »
I remember reading of your frustration but couldn't think of anything at the time, I just thought you got a bad batch...

I would go back to Jerry's post.  I am getting more familiar (dangerous) with led circuitry and I would compare resistance and continuity of RR1/2/3 of a good section to a bad one unpowered.  Maybe the resistor failed and the led is fine.  But is likely the resistor AND led.  If RR is good I would be tempted to try swapping good for bad 5050s to fix for giggles.  That said, having spent an inordinate amount of time swapping rectangular modules myself, I got a bit aggressive and looked at the problem differently.  What is the fastest way to fix?  You'd be tempted to swap out each bad section for good.  Instead, try to join 2 good sections together cutting out bad sections to get one good strip.  There is some waste but a huge time saver. 

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 06:31:21 PM »
Thanks -  I'll do some testing this weekend for sure....I am sending two strips back to Ray. Anyone know any tricks on Fedex or DHL to get a better price than $120 for 1/2lb package?

Offline bcstuff

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 06:56:15 AM »
$120, WHAT?

I did a quick Google, I know you are in Canda, and saw rates for the US $12-24 via USPS.
http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-least-expensive-way-to-ship-to-China-from-U-S
-Brian
------------- 2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.  2016 - Grad School Stinks :( 2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminaries  Our Display Videos: http://vimeo.com/brianandheather

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2015, 07:34:17 AM »
Attached  is the quote for the  Canadian version of USPS.....Canada Post. UPS/Fedex/DHL/Purolator all the same ballpark.

Here is a slightly modified email from Ray......he is having some delivery issues with USPS....
could you help to send me several pieces of strip, so we can check.
my address is:
Post code:518111
company:shenzhen rita lighting limited
please do not use USPS,i have lost more than 10packages,my local post office is very bad, they never make delivery to me.
please use DHl or fedex

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2015, 06:58:47 AM »
it hard to tell from the photo but do R1, R2, R3 of dead section in value R1, R2, R3 the same in the working section ?

Well, without the strip powered up, I tested the resistance across the three resistors and they all gave readings that were extremely close to what the resistor had printed on it +/- 1 on the dial, so I think those are good. I'll power it on and do a comparison though against good and bad to make sure. I'lll look at the schematic of the LED (http://www.luckylightled.com/UploadFiles/pdf_2013110513836348311.pdf)  to see if I can quickly figure out anything else. I'm still gonna ship to Ray, but my guess is what the pdf says on page 11 happened - slight voltage change, burnout of led, but dunno really.

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2015, 12:12:00 PM »
OK - here is what I have found.....

With no power on the strip, the resistance on all 6 resistors looks to be showing correct readings.

RR1, RG1, RB1 (working red LED)
RR2, RG2, RB2 (not working red LED)

When I fire up simple test mode (on the F16)  , the resistance across all three of the Rx1 resistors change values and voltage changes values, however on the Rx2 group the voltage reading across RR2 is 0 and the resistance stays constant (the same as it was with no test sequence going).

.....so basically, there is no power going to the red led.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2015, 10:17:14 PM »
.....so basically, there is no power going to the red led.

Based on my understanding, I would change the word 'to' to 'through'.  I believe the chip is sinking current through the LED, so the LED should have positive voltage fed to it and then power flows through the LED, through the resistor and through the chip to ground.  Can you measure resistance through the red LED to verify conductivity?  I also think you should be able to measure positive voltage between the red resistor and the ground if the LED is good.  If the red portion is burnt out there would be no voltage at the red resistor.  you can double check one of the blue/green resistors to confirm if you see power there but not on the red resistor.
-
Chris

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2015, 08:02:17 AM »
That's kinda what I was thinking.  That said, thinking more about this, the led might likely be common anode and the resistors on the cathode side.  I would check for continuity across the led.  I would wager red is not.  Then I wonder if swapping the led might fix.  Doesn't look impossible but "fun"  ;D  Try this crudely for giggles and if it works (test burn in a few hours with new PS) research and find a better tool and technique.  I think the leds are ridiculously cheap. 

Offline Jeffl

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
  • Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 07:57:22 PM »
Curiosity got me so I bought a few of these supplies of eBay (HP DPS-600PB) to experiment with.  I'm able to mod them to turn the fan down as well as the voltage.  Mine are running about 12.45 unmodified and no load.  With a resistor, I can bring it down to 11.75 and possibly lower with more experimenting.  The question I have is; is this enough?  I can see where over 12v could be an issue, but having to run them way lower doesn't seam reasonable either.

I also have some DIYLEDExpress supplies on the way as well.  If nothing else I will be well supplied.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2015, 10:24:26 AM »
I would burn a strip in at 11.75vdc and see how it goes.  I would think it would be fine. 

Not sure why the love for those PS.  They're used, funky sized/can't fit into a CG1500, and don't seem like bargain to me.   

You give up Ryan?