Author Topic: Ray's latest TM1809s - red LEDs failing big time  (Read 7374 times)

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
Re: Ray's latest TM1809s - red LEDs failing big time
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2015, 11:08:21 AM »
Not sure why the love for those PS.  They're used, funky sized/can't fit into a CG1500, and don't seem like bargain to me.   

+1

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline Jeffl

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
  • Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2015, 12:00:39 PM »
I picked up 2 for $23 shipped.  At 47 amps each they seamed like a worthy experiment until my others arrive.  I'm not saying to go out and buy any, but it has been an educational experiment for me.  I have a 4'x4' case that I plan to install them in as well as some hubs in.  You are correct that they are too large to fit into a CG1500.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2015, 02:44:55 PM »
For fooling around that's not too bad.  Now if I was an IT tech with a bunch lying around I would put them to use for sure.  I think the jury is still out whether the PS caused Ryan's issue or not but I think lowering the voltage is a good idea. 
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline Jeffl

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2015, 03:50:55 PM »
How long is a safe time to burn in strips or nodes before you feel like they are stable?

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2015, 04:13:25 PM »
Truthfully I've never had anything fail during burn in.  The duds present themselves immediately. That said I run them several hours a few times and that is good enough for me.

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2015, 05:47:46 PM »
I was of the same mindset....immediately.....

I ran mine inside for 2 days, then outside from October - end of December. Brought them inside, and in 2 days had the 100 or so damaged red LEDs.

As for the PSU....i had a bunch of DL380s collecting dust, looked at what the RC guys were doing with those supplies and it made sense to use them vs buying a few other supplies...of course this was also before the ATX power kit was brought to my attention. 

As for fitting them in a cg1500...my cg1500s are for the LEs only....in Canada it's hard to find people to ship them, so I only have 4 here and used marine battery cases for the DL380 supplies.
Ryan

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2015, 07:48:45 AM »
That's tough...  Any leds go during the show?  Same PS you used outside was used inside?

I wouldn't think they would fit in a marine case.  I did notice there are some 1,000 watters for $20 shipped...  Until we find out what's going on I am staying away.  I'll let Jeffl be the guinea pig  ;D  So are you putting a resistor across pins 3 and 9 instead of a pot as per the webpage linked earlier? 

Offline Jeffl

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2015, 08:36:49 AM »
I bought some test leads and breadboard along with a sample package of many different resistors values.  I have been experimenting with them but so far this is what I'm doing with them.

Power On
  • Short 6-8-10

Voltage Set
  • 400ohm (10v) - 2.2k(11.8v) between 5-9

Low Fan Speed
  • Ground 4 to 8

The breadboard works good to test with.  I have been  using resistors instead of a trim pot.  The reason for this is there is a point under 9.5-10v where the power supply leaves the fan on, but shuts off power.  My trim pots I have are 10k 25 turn so I just get confused where I'm at.  Some web links say it's adjustable lower but this has not been what I have seen.  I haven't tested it at lower voltages to see how stable it is.  I have only tested it in the 11.5v-11.9v range.

As for the fan.  This can be set lower as well but from my testing, the fan does not rise when it heats up.  Some web videos show it does but not mine.  It's either high (un jumped) or low (jumped).  I tested blowing the heat gun in the fan and the only thing that happen is the fan stays running for a little while and but the power output is killed.  I think the fan then shuts off as well until the power cord is pulled and cooled..

I'll take some pictures this weekend for those that are interested.  As always,  check what I have against other resources on the web.

Offline Jeffl

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2015, 02:21:34 PM »
Here is a video of my experiment with the HP DPS-600PB B power supply running with 100 WS2811 nodes,  Falcon F16 Hub, uSC and 100' of  cat5 .  It's my first attempt at a video, so don't chew me up too bad.  Or the fact that I'm using speaker wire for power because it's all I currently have. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgyBsI4uq1Y