Author Topic: Extension cable  (Read 3924 times)

Offline Jeffl

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
  • Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Extension cable
« on: January 27, 2015, 08:13:11 PM »
What extension cable does everyone use to run between the F16 and strings?

Online David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 80
Re: Extension cable
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 08:16:10 PM »
I use 3 conductor cable I get from Ray.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 08:19:32 PM »
+1  I have some friends that tried other products, like landscape wire and had problems.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline Jeffl

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 08:26:29 PM »
Can you post a link for the handicap just so I find the correct one? :)

Offline Jeffl

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas In Brandon

Online David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 80

Offline bcstuff

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 09:42:46 PM »
Like this?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/100m-roll-3core-white-PVC-covered-cable-18AWG/701799_2027766857.html

If I was doing it again, I would buy this and cut off 1 end for the pigtail for the lights and use the other end as the extension cord from the F16.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/3m-10feet-4-core-waterproof-extension-cable-one-end-with-male-the-other-end-with-female/701799_541169977.html

Instead I bought just pigtails separate and soldered on my own wire which was alarm cable.  The wire turned out to be CCA and it has fewer strands per wire so it is a little stiffer, but I am using it anyway since the distance is only 8 feet.
Here is what I bought and don't recommend:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-4-Control-Security-Burglar-Alarm-Cable-500ft-Stranded-Wire-White-CL2-rated-/251347400080?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8578f590
-Brian
------------- 2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.  2016 - Grad School Stinks :( 2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminaries  Our Display Videos: http://vimeo.com/brianandheather

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 11:00:21 PM »

If I was doing it again, I would buy this and cut off 1 end for the pigtail for the lights and use the other end as the extension cord from the F16.

This is exactly what we did with our second tree.  Purchased the 10' extensions from DIYLEDExpress (http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_39&products_id=199), cut the first 18" off for the pigtail, and used the other 8' 6" out to the light strings.  Worked great!
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 11:11:16 PM »
I have used the "alarm wire", and also the 3wire used in the pixels -- soldering the connectors each time.
Finally, I came to the conclusion that buying the pre-made extensions saved a lot of time... duh!

Some people had complained about quality of the extensions and high rate of failure and I was hesitant.  Still I got 50 and had no problems whatsoever.

I also like the idea of using extensions (5' or 10') that are cut and used as pigtails.  I prefer to attach the short end to the controller (instead of the long end -- so that I don't have an awkward bundle of cables to carry and store with the controller.)  the long end I solder to the string of lights.   I tin the short end, btw.
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline bcstuff

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 11:18:34 PM »
This is exactly what we did with our second tree.  Purchased the 10' extensions from DIYLEDExpress (http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_39&products_id=199), cut the first 18" off for the pigtail, and used the other 8' 6" out to the light strings.  Worked great!

FYI,
I like to bring up that the waterproof plugs at DIYLEDexpress are a different size. 
I didn't know until Steve Gase pointed this out to me.
The waterproof plugs from DIYLEDexpress are 12mm. The ones I have purchased from Ray in white and that are commonly used on DLA are 13.5mm. (there is actually a third size which is 15mm but I haven't come across anyone using those)

Not that there is anything wrong with different sizing but considering everything I have currently is 13.5mm it is nice to know.

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 11:24:07 PM »

FYI,
I like to bring up that the waterproof plugs at DIYLEDexpress are a different size. 
The waterproof plugs from DIYLEDexpress are 12mm. The ones I have purchased from Ray in white and that are commonly used on DLA are 13.5mm. (there is actually a third size which is 15mm but I haven't come across anyone using those)

Not that there is anything wrong with different sizing but considering everything I have currently is 13.5mm it is nice to know.
The green extensions -- used with pixabulbs -- use the 12mm connectors.
The link you provided is for a white extension...  I would not assume that these cables are also 12mm -- you should ask.

Offline bcstuff

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 01:53:23 AM »
The link you provided is for a white extension...  I would not assume that these cables are also 12mm -- you should ask.

From the main page of 3 wire connectors on DIY LED Express:
http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=37_39&zenid=0e517a029ed766112926a5e21843ba5c

Quote from: DIY LED Express
3 Wire Products
Please note, all waterproof connectors have the same dimensions as pictured here.

Offline corey872

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 16
    • Link to the sale...
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 05:39:17 PM »
I've been running bulk Cat5 STP between most everything I have.  Typically bundle 4 wires for power, 3 wires+shield wire for ground and send data one one remaining wire.  Not sure where it stands cost wise, but 12-14 cents/foot it seems pretty good on the dollars per unit of copper side.
Corey
 2018 uSC, Afterburner, uAmp co-op - pending May-June 2018.  Remaining boards are now FOR SALE

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 07:42:29 PM »

FYI,

That one got me last year.  The 10' white extension cords that we made pigtails and then wired the rest to the strips worked without a problem.  We made sure we used the green connectors when connecting to the PixaBulbs. 

Offline danj

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 08:04:48 PM »
One of the things that totally ate my lunch last year was soldering all my wires/connectors for my megatree.   It takes a long time to solder all those small gauge wires!!!  My two cents.  I didn't realize there were premade male/female connector wiring sets like this....  I now plan to purchase these instead of soldering for hours on end....