Author Topic: Seasonal Entertainment JST connectors?  (Read 3979 times)

Offline Jeffl

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
  • Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Seasonal Entertainment JST connectors?
« on: January 30, 2015, 09:43:34 AM »
I like the idea of the colored strings they have but I'm not sure about the connectors.  Has anyone used them and are they a good choice compared to the regular waterproof connectors like what DIYYLEDExpress sells?

http://www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com/store/en/ws2811-pixels/240-50ct-12v-round-ws2811-pixels.html

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
Re: Seasonal Entertainment JST connectors?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
Even Ray has jst connectors on some lights, but jst is an indoor connector and not waterproof.  I just cut them off and put on a 3 pin waterproof connector.  I did make a cable with a jst connector on that I can use to test lights before I start with any cutting.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 09:50:21 AM »
I use jst connectors in places I know water won't get to, much cheaper and really no need for the waterproof connectors since they won't get wet. I also like the green wire, and why I did the green wire with DIYLED this year.  Trying to make things look at little nicer to keep the wife happy :)

Offline Jeffl

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 09:54:20 AM »
DIYLEDExpress and green wire?  I see they have green waterproof connectors.  Do they have green strings that I missed?

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 10:11:33 AM »
Yep it's just in the selection when you add it to your cart, the picture still is the rgb

Offline Jeffl

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 10:17:06 AM »
 I'm taking my new glasses back.  They don't work worth a darn.  8)

This is like hitting the jackpot.  Although understand the need, I don't like the multi colored wires.

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 10:20:39 AM »
😄. Glad I could help.  After seeing the multicolor on some elements I'm with you I want standard green/black to blend better.

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 10:32:07 AM »
I have used the JST connectors in a few applications since the Rigid and Flex strips from Ray have come with those connectors.
The don't seem to be much different than an automotive-style connector.
Generally I think they'll be fine outdoors -- I just wouldn't submerge them.
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 02:37:00 PM »
I have run a few flex strips outside in the rain since November.  I have one string that is dark and I am sure if I was to unplug it and plug it back in it would be good to go.

The plugs are segregated from each other so unless you have a steady stream of water on it or submerge them they are just not going to short out.

However that being said, the wire is extra thin on those and I think you will be happier to changing them out long term, mine will hit the bin after the season.

Offline fdunham

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 09:14:10 PM »
I ran several strands of dumb pixels last season (16 sets) with JST connectors. It rained before I put the waterproof stuff on them and they worked fine anyway. 12V just doesn't seem to be that sensitive to shorting. I do, however, plan on spraying them with CorrosionX before next season just in case. :)

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Diamond Crescent Musical Christmas Lights
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 02:00:15 PM »
I'm taking my new glasses back.  They don't work worth a darn.  8)

This is like hitting the jackpot.  Although understand the need, I don't like the multi colored wires.

Yeah, I agree. When I was told about the presale at diyledexpress.com, and I saw the 4+" spacing and 18-gauge wire (makes me happy to for power requirements) and green wire (to keep the wife happy as it blends into greenery better), I couldn't resist and decided to take the plunge into pixels. Now for the rest of the hardware... I hope those pieces fall into place as well.

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 12:19:56 PM »
Ok so now that we put some opinions in I wanted to share a story.  So I use the waterproof connectors myself, and I use the JST connectors also.

I did a landscape project a year ago and put 2811 nodes inside of my landscape lighting.  All controlled by the Panther.  At the time I didn't have waterproof connectors and wanted to just finish the project so I used JST connectors.  I used them so I can take each light out if I needed to easily.  They have been running for about a year now without issue buried just under landscape bark.  Rain/Snow still works fine. 

So what I always say "try" because I can bet you'll have different results than user A, never hurts to try.

Picture is worth a thousand words, buried under a foot of snow.

Offline Jeffl

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 12:33:13 PM »
That's a cool idea.  I need to learn more about the landscape lights.  I would have tried the connectors but my front yard looks like yours and I hate fixing stuff in the winter during showtime.  If there is a reasonable chance it will fail, I don't want it in my display.  I'm an IT guy and I think I build more reliability and redundancy into my display hardware than many business do with their computing systems.  :)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 06:15:44 AM »
While this thread is getting old, I'll add some recent experience. I used JST connectors on my 10 coro mini-trees.
It has been very rainy the last few days (tornados, too, but they haven't been that close), so I looked inside my connectors.

The area around the +12v was slightly discolored. Not damaged or corroded, but all 10 JST connectors showed the exact same discoloration. (galvanic action, I'm certain)
I had not squirted them with CorrosionX.
Now I have. I'll keep an eye on them.

Keep in mind that if you have Pixels attached to a Hub or F16 or whatever, the +12v is hot 24/7 unless you do something about it.

Offline arw01

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 08:37:52 AM »
I had some reliability problems with a couple of strips using the JST connectors, so they will come off this year on all the strips in PEX pipe.  Only issue with them is submerssion would defeat their "water proofing" as they are just segmented columns and not like a car waterproof pigtail with the silicon sleeves that get compressed.

Probably figure out how to do the LED's in the landscape lights, I do have a Panther with nothing better to do, or might run up a Raspberry Pi so I can get some one wire readings as well and use the FPP code to drive the WS2801 style pixels.

There have been some flood boards too that emulate a ws2811 pixel that might want me to go that way with some additional hardware or perhaps just jump to the beagle bone black to drive floods and landscape lights.