Author Topic: Use Vixen3 or XL4 or both- advice please.  (Read 1134 times)

Offline AussiePhil

• Kudos: 11
Use Vixen3 or XL4 or both- advice please.
« on: February 08, 2015, 05:14:54 PM »
To Sean and all the XLights people.

Something is wrong in the world if in Feb I'm considering what software to use... as a lot know, this for me, tends to be a Nov decision these days.

I've watched the XL4 status videos and it would seem to be a good match to what I did last year in Vixen 3 where I used a high percentage of Nutcracker effects.

What I do like in Vixen3 is they way the effects are rendered onscreen for the actual duration of the time, I find this allows for easy visualisation versus what I watched in the XL4 videos.

I guess my question is..... With the likelihood of using a high number nutcracker effects would I be better to move to Xlights4 or stay in the Vixen3 camp?
Is using both one of those options that should be considered as FPP will be the playback engine?

I don't need or want to migrate sequences as I usually clean sheet each year due to display changes, though it would be good to exchange timing marks.

Thoughts?

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
Re: Use Vixen3 or XL4 or both- advice please.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 06:08:37 PM »
Phil we are going to implement selecting a time range and be able to see a particular models effects. Also scrubbing the time line will also show the selected models effects. We just have not done it yet. The good news is we are ahead of schedule so these changes are coming soon.

PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline AussiePhil

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 06:30:44 PM »
Thanks David,

As soon as I can get hold of xl4 (even alpha) I plan to play with it, guess I want to know just what the sequencers can do before expanding the show this year.... currently the 3D printer is busy printing C9 bulbs for use with pixels so I have a few months to play with software.

Cheers

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker123
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 07:26:27 PM »
I suggest you try both Phil. Our ui's are different. Pick the one that fits your programming style.
Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline AussiePhil

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 07:58:10 PM »
I suggest you try both Phil. Our ui's are different. Pick the one that fits your programming style.

:) I somehow thought that might be an answer, it is what I plan to do anyway, I guess the underlying question is will Vixen3 lag on the nutcracker effects built in?

I'm not sure after bouncing between 4 different sequencers the last 5 years that I have a true style though it does tend to be lyric based timings for smoother looks.
Went from Vixen2 to LSP to Vixen2 back to LSP then to LightFactory then to Vixen3. Never used LSP to run a show despite sequencing in it for 2 years, could never bond with it.

Oh well, guess I wait patiently for a XLights4 build :)

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker123
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 08:13:35 PM »
Vixen 3 took our nutcracker code from March 2013, it took a while to rewrite that code. We have been trying to figure a way that our current nutcracker code could be called by other engines,  we have not had anyone who can uSe our code directly without a fair amount of work.

Offline AussiePhil

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 09:18:57 PM »
Thanks Sean, that has answered the underlying question for me.

Cheers

Offline jchuchla

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 11:39:57 PM »
Vixen 3 is going to be doing work on the "pixel effects" area this year. As Sean mentioned, it's not very easy to keep in sync with the nutcracker code base.  This is mostly because different sequencers are either written in different languages, and/or because the targeting of the result doesn't follow a usable model. V3 falls into both categories. So we're reworking the way we're handling this. We're going to break somewhat from the nutcracker naming mostly so the expectation of keeping up goes away. We're going to split up what's currently in the V3 nutcracker effect into the many effects that it actually is.  These will be reclassified as "pixel effects". We're reworking them to better suit the V3 paradigm. This will involve more useful targeting and modeling. (As it relates to the vixen architecture) At the same time we'll be adding improvements and other effects as well.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AussiePhil

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 01:17:47 AM »
Hi Jon,

Thanks, that's the best info i have seen on future Vix3 direction. I think ultimately with FPP being the playback engine, the use of multiple sequencing software front ends becomes both possible and maybe desirable depending on what you want/need to achieve.

What a wonderful bright future the hobby has thanks to all the wonderful people out there