Author Topic: Oberservation - Refresh  (Read 5179 times)

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
Oberservation - Refresh
« on: February 16, 2015, 09:20:57 AM »
To start I know nothing is set in stone for the panels, this is more FYI/me playing around.

Something I noticed while doing a burn cycle with some more panels.  Panel is connected up to a pi in bridged mode being controlled from xlights.  As you can see the leds don't seem to be a constant green, you can see them refreshing/flickering.  Wasn't sure if this is due to the pi itself (not enough cpu)/network but wanted to at least show it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCmZFRPQ3Q8

I do have a BBB, just haven't spent the time to research on getting it up and going with FPP/wiring for the panels (I don't have a cape yet).

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
Re: Oberservation - Refresh
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:40:35 AM »
and just as a test to rule out network, created a sequence and ran it as player mode.  Still see it there also.  This is just on a normal B.

Also forgot this info.

Version Info   
FPP Version:   v0.3.0-628-g4325a09
FPP OS Build:   v1.0
OS Version:   Raspbian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy)
Kernel Version:   3.12.29+
Git Branch:   master
Local Git Version:   4325a09 ChangeLog
Remote Git Version:   4325a09

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 10:49:08 AM »
Are they flickering all over the place?  I don't see that on my panels driven from the Pi using the RGBMatrix code branch.  I am able to see what appears to be an artifact of the refresh rate with whole lines, but I haven't seen random LED's flickering light that.

Ben and Pat have been doing some testing with these boards as well.  Have you guys seen anything like this?  I wonder if it is related to the cabling from the Pi to the panel.  I am using a PCB adapter board with a short 12-inch ribbon cable going to the panel.

I do want to look at the RGBMatrix library code to see if there is anything we can do to bump the refresh rate up or anything else that will have any effect on the slight line I am seeing, but it isn't bad enough for me to spend a lot of time on it just yet.  When I run my 4 panels setup as a 2x2 matrix with the BBB controlling the top half and Pi controlling the bottom half using FPP MultiSync, the two halves look pretty close to each other.
-
Chris

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 11:10:12 AM »
Yep they are flickering is all over.  Honestly I don't remember it being like this for the first 4 I tested, but note I did switch between master/RGBMatrix and back to master branches.  So I'm wandering if I've got something left over causing it now.  I may just do a fresh load of FPP and see what happens.

Currently I'm just using jumper wires into the ribbon cable.  As soon as the BBB stuff moves along Ill move to that with an actual cape once I buy one (if someone has a spare Ill buy one from you  :) ).  Planning on a 3x3 so I won't be using a pi, just using it for testing at the moment.

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 11:43:39 AM »
Switched over to the RGBMatrix branch and still see it over there.  Ill do a fresh install and go from there.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 11:57:56 AM »
As soon as the BBB stuff moves along Ill move to that with an actual cape once I buy one (if someone has a spare Ill buy one from you  :) ).  Planning on a 3x3 so I won't be using a pi, just using it for testing at the moment.

The BBB matrix code is in git now and is undergoing some testing.  Pat built up a few Octoscrollers and I think he and Ben both have one running now.  Last week, we were working through a few kinks in the FPP_Install.sh script and BBB changes to the FPP scripts, but I think it is pretty stable now.  I am putting together a very simple UI to configure both the RGBMatrix Channel Output on the Pi and the LEDscapeMatrix Channel Output (ie, Octoscroller board) on the BBB and will try to get that into git soon.  The BBB branch is also undergoing some testing by people using the FPP_Install.sh script on the Pi v2, so I hope to merge both RGBMatrix and BBB branches back to master very soon.  The UI portion should get rewritten before FPP v2.0 as part of the UI rewrite that tjames is currently working on.  David should also be testing his Octoscroller very soon and then we can get the ball rolling on those.

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 12:25:44 PM »
No worries its just me being anxious :)

Reload of FPP and then switch to the RGBMatrix branch didn't seem to help either.  Hmm what can be different from last time.   I left everything sitting, all I did was disconnect the ribbon cable from the back of the panels to put away (left my jumpers alone from the pi to the ribbon cable)

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 01:28:04 PM »
Hmm its not the panel/power supply.  Just connected it back to my Arduino and I don't see it there.   Guess one of my jumpers going to the pi is not happy or something.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 124
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 03:43:38 PM »
Yep they are flickering is all over. 

I'd describe it (based on just the video) as more of a shimmer. The motion of the shimmer looks like a timing problem.

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 04:59:31 PM »
Yeah I'm horrible at describing 😄

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 10:12:15 PM »
I have noticed that glitches appear in the display sometimes if I am handling the jumper wires, could yours be too close to the power supply or something?  Another thought might be a floating ground issue, maybe double check the ground jumper.

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 05:19:32 AM »
Has to be something with the wiring just not sure where and why it all of a sudden started.  Power supply is about a foot away from the wiring, its actually farther away this time.  Tried just moving the wiring around while it was on to see if I could find which one is doing and nothing.  Doubled checked/pulled all the jumpers off back on and no change.

Oh well guess Ill just sit tight since I know I won't be running it from the pi anyway and the BBB instead, just wanted to play.  :)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 124
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 07:43:05 AM »
The good news would be that you will only see that if you keep the same color(s) stationary. Who does that?

I don't think that is the point with a P10 matrix. It's all about the movement. (It's all about the bass, no treble.)

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 08:07:20 AM »
Unfortunately you see it on other effects too, just not as bad, just make it blink all the time right  :)

I chalk it up to how its currently connected with just jumper wires until I do some type of permanent mount with board/headers and I want a larger display than a 2x2 so Ill be on a BBB anyway.   Just thought it was weird and wanted to at least say something in case there was some type of issue pi/code wise (not saying it is).  Just trying to help with what I can to help make a better product.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 11:42:59 AM »
Just thought it was weird and wanted to at least say something in case there was some type of issue pi/code wise (not saying it is).  Just trying to help with what I can to help make a better product.

Thanks, I appreciate the mention.  There is a reason for using the PRU on the BBB or a FPGA on something like the Falcon Neo, the software solution on the Pi may never be as good.  If I can reproduce the issue, at some point I will dive into the code for the library we are using to see if I can see if there is anything we can do about it.  It also may be a panel vendor issue where it works fine for some but not for others, this is another reason that testing is appreciated and why we are trying to get the Pi support and BBB support out sooner rather than later so people have time to burn things in and find any issues.