Author Topic: FPP & PixLite16?  (Read 6056 times)

Offline celtman123

• Kudos: 0
FPP & PixLite16?
« on: March 17, 2015, 01:27:32 AM »
I just ordered the new Pi2 combo from Amazon, and after reading a few posts I have become a bit confused...

I plan to setup a small network using a PixLite16 controller, and a cheap Windows laptop to sequence using xLights 4 (when it is released).  I also want to be able to run the show using the Pi2 & FPP.
The laptop is connected to the net via wifi.

Will this work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
Re: FPP & PixLite16?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 04:47:10 AM »
This is what I do, except I use a desktop instead of a laptop.  I create and test my sequences using the pc, but I upload and run all finished sequences from the Pi.
A quick note about Pi 2.  I don't believe it will be officially supported by Rev 2.0 of FPP.  Maybe later in the year though.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 07:27:47 AM »
The Pi 2 will be officially supported in the next FPP SD image we release.
-
Chris

Offline deanathpc

• Kudos: 1
    • Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 08:08:17 AM »
That is awesome to hear CaptainMurdoch!  I was just on amazon the other day searching for b+ and only pi 2 would come up.
------------------
Dean

Stafford, NY
FPP, F16v2R's, LE's, xLights

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 01:12:53 PM »
Why are you using a router in this configuration?  How are you supplying the clock signal to the PI? 

Offline celtman123

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 08:19:50 AM »
"Why are you using a router in this configuration?  How are you supplying the clock signal to the PI? "

I assumed that it would be needed rather than connecting the Pi directly to the PC/Laptop (I'm probably wrong  :-\ )  the clock signal would be coming from the PC/Laptop's internet connection... as I understand it, once the Pi gets the correct time from the net, it should keep that as long as it isn't powered down (again.. I'm probably wrong there too)

my idea is to sequence using the laptop, load to the Pi and run the show from there...  the Pi is something new for me... no experience with it at all

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 08:52:59 AM »
If it truly is a router then I recommend plugging the WAN port on the show router into one of the LAN ports on your home network.  This will give your Pi access to the internet to get updates and keep time in sync and it will allow you to get to the show network from your home network if you setup a port forward or DMZ IP pointed at the Pi's IP.  If you search for "wan port" in quotes, you'll find several discussions about configuring your show network this way to isolate the E1.31 traffic from your home network while still allowing access to the show network from the home network.

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 09:20:29 AM »
Yes, I need to segregate my networks off for this year. 2014 show was very small.. single PI, however; I was running E1.31 on my home network due to switch port availabilty. This year the Netgear switch will be carved up into various networks for proper utilization of bandwidth and not flood my VOIP signals while I work :)
Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 12:35:17 PM »
"
I assumed that it would be needed rather than connecting the Pi directly to the PC/Laptop (I'm probably wrong  :-\ )  the clock signal would be coming from the PC/Laptop's internet connection... as I understand it, once the Pi gets the correct time from the net, it should keep that as long as it isn't powered down (again.. I'm probably wrong there too)

my idea is to sequence using the laptop, load to the Pi and run the show from there...  the Pi is something new for me... no experience with it at all

If you already have a wireless router setup, you can also get a USB wireless adapter for the PI which will allow it to access the internet for the clock signal and allow you to control and communicate with it from your laptop.   Then I would replace that router / switch with a low cost 4 port  10/100 Switch and use that for your show controller connections.  The only things needed to be connected to it would be the PI, the Pixlite, and any other E1.31 controllers your show will be using.  This will prevent any E1.31 packets from getting on your home network.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 12:40:03 PM »
If you already have a wireless router setup, you can also get a USB wireless adapter for the PI which will allow it to access the internet for the clock signal and allow you to control and communicate with it from your laptop.   Then I would replace that router / switch with a low cost 4 port  10/100 Switch and use that for your show controller connections.  The only things needed to be connected to it would be the PI, the Pixlite, and any other E1.31 controllers your show will be using.  This will prevent any E1.31 packets from getting on your home network.

The disadvantage to this solution is that you can't manage your E1.31 controllers from anywhere but the show network.  If you use the double-router approach then you can manage FPP and your E1.31 controllers from your home network.  Routers are cheap as well and also provide the ability to have a separate wireless show network for FPP MultiSync if desired.  The Pi could act as a wireless to wired router, but adding support for that (and supporting it after it is added) is low priority.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 01:24:49 PM »
The problem is that when dealing with multi-cast, it really depends on the configuration of the router whether the packets are isolated or not.  Multi-cast is a routable broadcast protocol and unless the home router being used is configured to block it or at least not to accept them from any other port but the WAN port, the multicast packets will still be flooding your network.  As for managing your E1.31 controllers, I guess that depends on what management they allow you to make and the real need to manage them on a different network anyway.  As for me, right now the only E1.31 controllers I have are EtherDongles and they have no remote management capabilities. 

You could also replace the switch with a low cost wireless router that has a built in 4 port switch.  Then you could assign this wireless router a different SSID and put it on a different channel than the primary house router and connect nothing to the WAN connection of this router.  Then all you need to do is switch networks on your laptop (very easy to do) and have full wireless management capabilities of your E1.31 controllers and still maintain both the isolation of your show network and the security of your home network.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 01:48:25 PM »
As for me, right now the only E1.31 controllers I have are EtherDongles and they have no remote management capabilities. 

Having access to the E1.31 setups is pretty much a necessity for me.  I had 6 units on the show network last year (2 ea E1.31 Bridges and 4 SanDevices units), and this year it will be many more.  (The CLAP is rampant!) 

The router at the head of the show network made it easy to get to all of them, even when I was on the home network or outside with my iPad (connected through the home wifi.
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 01:48:58 PM »

The disadvantage to this solution is that you can't manage your E1.31 controllers from anywhere but the show network.  If you use the double-router approach then you can manage FPP and your E1.31 controllers from your home network.  Routers are cheap as well and also provide the ability to have a separate wireless show network for FPP MultiSync if desired.  The Pi could act as a wireless to wired router, but adding support for that (and supporting it after it is added) is low priority.

This is how I do it.  I then used iptables blocking all traffic in and out of this second router minus a few things like.

• Allowing NTP out
  • Allowing Git out
  • Allowing HTTP in
  • Allowing SSH in

Then all my FPP devices are connected to this second router wirelessly, along with any of the needed E1.31 devices. I can then manage all of the devices on that network from my home network, not doing a thing.  Big reason why I did this setup....if one of the remote pis/BBBs gets stolen, they really can't do anything with it once they hack into it to grab the wireless info.  They can see other fpp remotes but nothing on my home network and they can't get out on the internet (besides NTP/GIT) to do damage there also, of course I would just change the wireless info if I found one stolen but you get the idea in case you don't see it stolen for hours.

Offline uzelessknowledge

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 06:34:14 PM »
So I'm curious now. I have a Pi I'm using for this year.
I set up the LAN on my Pi with the IP and sub net that I have my PixLite set for.
The USB wifi I have set up on the ip and subnet for my home network (using DHCP reservation based on MAC address).
This allows me to access the Pi over wifi and control it.
This should keep the show data off my network. I hope to connect the Pi to a switch (not a router and not a hub) and add another controller. Eventually add another Pi and more controllers.

Travis
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tbone321

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 07:07:34 PM »
If the show hardware is on the same physical network as your home network, then the show data will be on the home network.  A switch cannot block or switch multicast traffic and any multicast traffic coming in on one port will be transmitted on all of the switches ports.  If the PixLite controller is directly connected to the PI's Ethernet port and you are using WIFI to connect the Pi to your home network, then this will keep the show data off of your home network as desired.  You can use a switch to connect all of your Pi's and controllers together and as long as that switch has no physical connection to your home network, you would be good to go.