Author Topic: FPP & PixLite16?  (Read 6060 times)

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
Re: FPP & PixLite16?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 07:13:32 PM »

This is how I do it.  I then used iptables blocking all traffic in and out of this second router minus a few things like.

Sounds interesting.  Where are you entering this table data?

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 07:17:01 PM »
I just ssh into the router to run all the various iptables commands.  I've got dd-wrt on the router which opens it up to essentially a Linux box.

Offline celtman123

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 08:45:37 PM »
tbone321:  is this what you mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tbone321

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 12:11:57 AM »
Yes, that would be the direct connect method.  You could also put a low cost switch between that Pi and the PixLite which would allow you to easily add more controllers to that Pi. 

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 03:59:31 AM »
The other advantage of using a router, especially if you'll run it with the WAN disconnected, is that it acts as a wireless access point, meaning you can accesses your show network with any wireless device such as smartphone, tablet, laptop, which makes management and testing convenient from out in the yard.  Used it this way all the time last year.

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 04:02:43 AM »
The Pi 2 will be officially supported in the next FPP SD image we release.
Oh boy!  Thanks for that correction, and extremely good news!  Gonna order a Pi 2 today!  Thanks.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »
The other advantage of using a router, especially if you'll run it with the WAN disconnected, is that it acts as a wireless access point, meaning you can accesses your show network with any wireless device such as smartphone, tablet, laptop, which makes management and testing convenient from out in the yard.  Used it this way all the time last year.

I also made that suggestion if you want or need to manage the controllers.  Even though my ETD's don't have any remote management ability, I may still setup a wireless router with a different SSID and frequency so that I can run test sequences directly from my laptop on the display without reloading or reconfiguring the Pi.  There will be no physical connection between this show network and my home network.

Offline uzelessknowledge

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 08:16:57 PM »

If the show hardware is on the same physical network as your home network, then the show data will be on the home network.  A switch cannot block or switch multicast traffic and any multicast traffic coming in on one port will be transmitted on all of the switches ports.  If the PixLite controller is directly connected to the PI's Ethernet port and you are using WIFI to connect the Pi to your home network, then this will keep the show data off of your home network as desired.  You can use a switch to connect all of your Pi's and controllers together and as long as that switch has no physical connection to your home network, you would be good to go.

Using multi sync if the wifi of the Pi's are on the home network and the lan's are connected to the PixLite I take it that the packet data of the master to the remote travels the home network?
Is there a lot of overhead cause by these packets?
Anyway to measure how much of the home network is being used?

Travis

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
FPP & PixLite16?
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 09:03:54 PM »
FPP MultiSync only sends one sync packet per remote FPP every 16 sequence frames. If you use 'all remotes' FPP will send a broadcast packet instead of unicast packets so it will send only one sync packet every 16 frames no matter how many remotes you have.  Sync packets are very small but could be 150 to 200 bytes if you have very long sequence names.  Currently, Video sync has its own packets since video is synced by time while sequences are synced by frame number.

The IP used for MultiSync is the network over which the FPP instances can see each other.  FPP uses Avahi/bonjour to discover remotes and list them on the MultiSync config page.
-
Chris

Offline tbone321

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 10:25:49 PM »

Using multi sync if the wifi of the Pi's are on the home network and the lan's are connected to the PixLite I take it that the packet data of the master to the remote travels the home network?
Is there a lot of overhead cause by these packets?
Anyway to measure how much of the home network is being used?

Travis

I was not all that concerned with the sync packets.  In Unicast mode, the switch would direct the packets to where they need to go and even in broadcast mode, there is not enough of them to cause any significant congestion on most modern home networks.  My concern is with the E1.31 packets if you have the Pi(s) controlling E1.31 controllers.  There are a lot of them and the bigger the display, the more of them there are and being multicast packets, switches cannot direct them and they go everywhere. 

Offline celtman123

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 11:58:28 PM »
Packet sizes and network congestion should not be much of a problem, mine is a small show featuring a 16 strand MT, 2 50-pixel stars and 4 pixel arches (50 pixels per arch)... I don't have a "real" network per se, just several computers connected to the cable modem via wifi, but not sharing any data between-them.  I will have to set up a switch(hub?) to link the Pi, PixLite and PC

Offline uzelessknowledge

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2015, 07:01:31 AM »
I want to put FPP1 inside along with the FMT. FPP2 will be outside but out of range of the WIFI access point. Seems like I'll need to add an access point for FPP2 so multi sync can communicate. I'll have another Pi and PixLite next year for my mega tree. 
As mentioned above the FPP e1.31 data is on Ethernet and a different IP and subnet (no router or DNS IP) than the wifi adapter. FPP is connected directly to PixLite. I wanted to keep the e1.31 data off my network.
Does that sound right?

Travis

Offline tbone321

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2015, 10:50:21 AM »
Packet sizes and network congestion should not be much of a problem, mine is a small show featuring a 16 strand MT, 2 50-pixel stars and 4 pixel arches (50 pixels per arch)... I don't have a "real" network per se, just several computers connected to the cable modem via wifi, but not sharing any data between-them.  I will have to set up a switch(hub?) to link the Pi, PixLite and PC

The problem with using WIFI for everything is that now all of your equipment is on a wireless hub.  Even thought they are not sharing data, they are sharing the single connection point so while one device is transmitting, all the rest have to wait, just like with a wired hub.  If you have a single PixLite, you could probably connect it directly to the Pi's Ethernet port with a crossover cable and connect the PC to the Pi with your wireless connection.  This will keep the E1.31 packets off of the WIFI connection.  You could put a switch between them if desired which would make it easy to add devices to this show network.  Just remember that you would need to set static IP addresses for the Ethernet ports of these devices because there will be no DHCP server on this network to do it for you. 

Offline tbone321

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2015, 11:21:06 AM »
I want to put FPP1 inside along with the FMT. FPP2 will be outside but out of range of the WIFI access point. Seems like I'll need to add an access point for FPP2 so multi sync can communicate. I'll have another Pi and PixLite next year for my mega tree. 
As mentioned above the FPP e1.31 data is on Ethernet and a different IP and subnet (no router or DNS IP) than the wifi adapter. FPP is connected directly to PixLite. I wanted to keep the e1.31 data off my network.
Does that sound right?

Travis

That sounds like it will work just fine.  Make sure to keep your second access point protected from the weather and that it is configured as an access point and not another router.  As long as FPP is configured to send the E1.31 data to the Ethernet port, your home network should remain clear of E1.31 traffic.