Author Topic: Screw down vs plugs ?  (Read 1957 times)

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
Screw down vs plugs ?
« on: March 23, 2015, 04:43:31 AM »
I am placing a small order with mouser and want to pad up the order so I don't feel so bad about the $20 shipping to Canada...

My f16s have the these screw down posts for the 3 wire lights -> http://ca.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=1988969virtualkey65100000virtualkey651-1988969  <- my question is i've heard about plugs that make it easy to connect strings, is there something that can connect into these posts, or is it a desolder, and replace with something else? Is there a link to the "something else"?

Let me know...im going to get some of those tiny fuses to fix my active hubs two of the chips for the octoscroller and some header pins, hopefully I can find some that come in pairs to make keeping the pins aligned nicely while soldering without having to partly insert into the BBB and use that as a tool to align (always get nervous about heat transferring down and melting some plastic).

Ryan
Ryan

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 80
Re: Screw down vs plugs ?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 04:53:14 AM »
Ryan the pluggable connectors are a two part connector. A receptacle and the plug connector. The receptacle solders into the board so you would have to remove the connectors you have now. I would not recommend that.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 05:13:14 AM »
Ryan, it would need to be de-soldered. If you are using copper braid to desolder, then I would definitely advise against it. If, however, you have a powered vacuum solder sucker, it can be pretty painless (though still may not be worth the effort). The problem is how much heat and how much time it takes to clear the holes. Without the proper tools, you just end up delaminating the solder pad and ruining the connection permanently.

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 06:12:04 AM »
Ok - good advice (been there before with the solder pads!!).

I'll continue using the waterproof pigtails for the existing f16s. In the future I'll try the plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 06:43:28 AM »
I put the connectors on the waterproof pigtails.

Most weatherproof boxes in/out holes are not large enough to have the board connectors be pushed through. Having the disconnects on the board makes getting the board in and out of a box much easier because you don't have to unscrew all the pigtails, just unplug them. Don't forget to label board connectors to eliminate extra time pushing and pulling to see which connector is which.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 06:38:04 AM »
Ryan, it would need to be de-soldered. If you are using copper braid to desolder, then I would definitely advise against it. If, however, you have a powered vacuum solder sucker, it can be pretty painless (though still may not be worth the effort). The problem is how much heat and how much time it takes to clear the holes. Without the proper tools, you just end up delaminating the solder pad and ruining the connection permanently.

Because I bought a new desoldering tool, I recently replaced all 16 of the F16v1 standard connectors with pluggable connectors.
Mine has a heated tip and a spring loaded plunger. It worked fairly well. Ended up taking about 20 minutes to desolder 16 jacks (48 pins).
But the good news is that I didn't damage a single solder pad and didn't burn myself. I would have with solder wick.

I can't find my actual purchase link, but here is something similar on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compact-40-Watt-110V-Grounded-AC-Desoldering-Iron-Pump-Heated-Sucker-Pump-Solder-/221736586083?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a087cb63

Give it plenty of time to get up to temp and then it works very well.
I have used a professional type with a foot controlled motor driven vacuum pump and they are definitely better but they cost too much for (my) occasional use. I've got to draw the line somewhere. :)

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 08:39:21 AM »
Ordered that one that Jon had linked too, bought a giant plunger style from China and have not used it yet.  So if you were going to buy a real desoldering station just because you could, which one would you buy Jon

Alan

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 09:04:42 AM »
Allan,

So which one are you going to get?  :)