Author Topic: Solved! Thanks for your help.  (Read 6616 times)

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 80
Re: Help! Most likely a stupid question with a simple answer
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 09:19:47 PM »
Not sure about the error but unless you are using the dla pdongle with pixelnet firmware it will not work. The etherdondle and pdongle will add the needed header that is required by controller. A simple usb dongle will not. I think fpp sends this header too but not the falcon software. I only supported the pdongle.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 12:16:18 PM »
Looking at your picture, I'm wondering about your wiring in PT1.

I was thinking that Red was +, Green was - and usually Blue was Data.  If I'm correct, then you have green and blue swapped.

Double check your strings (because they definitely aren't all the same)

I know that you said that it "works in test mode" but ALL my Ray Wu strings (TM1809 and TM1804) use BLUE for data, not green. I looked at several strings that I've used with my Falcon 16s.

Now, if the wires you are showing in the picture are from a waterproof 3-wire connector, then you'll have to go back down the line, all the way to the string input (first pixel).

There was an earlier post about having them connected with Data and Ground swapped and that it will not harm the pixels, but they also won't work right. (personal experience)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 02:57:04 PM by JonB256 »

Offline IamNick

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 04:17:52 PM »
It does work in test mode. The strip flashes B-R-G-W then out if i disconnect the test mode pin. When I do any other order, I get "ghosting" pixels on the strip, whereas GBR doesn't yield any weird actions. If it makes any difference, they're WS2811's, but that's not my problem. The problem is I'm getting no pixelnet signal from either the Pi or my PC, and as David stated, serial converters are not supported on the pc, so the problem lies either in the pi, converter, or port on the falcon.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 04:28:52 PM »
Are you trying to play a sequence in the Pi or use bridge mode and play something on the PC?
-
Chris

Offline IamNick

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 05:55:37 PM »
I am trying to output any signal I can to the falcon from the Pi via a Usb-RS485 converter. I don't care how it gets done, I just want to control some lights :). I just can't seem to get any signal through to the falcon via the pi, that's my problem.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2015, 08:39:55 PM »
Do you have the FTDI adapter yet?  The ch340 will not work with FPP v1.0, you would have to switch to the 'master' code branch or use the FTDI dongle to get PixelNet output.

Offline IamNick

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2015, 09:18:39 PM »
What do you think I should do? I am willing to do whatever will get me working lights in the fastest time. If that means buying a FTDI chip instead, so be it.
Also, thank you all for your help so much. It's been so useful in solving my problem, thanks!

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2015, 10:25:40 PM »
In the first post, you included a link to a vktech USB dongle. That picture is identical to the FTDI dongle that several of us are using with FPP.  Did you get this dongle yet?  If it is the one in the picture, then it should work fine with FPP.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2015, 04:52:39 AM »
Can someone who is successfully using this dongle take a picture of their wiring? (i.e. - where the orange and orange/white wires go)

There will still remain the problem of configuring the F16 for the channel setup.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 80
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2015, 05:22:32 AM »
Until the controller is programmed the LED light may not blink when receiving Pixelnet. The Falcon Control Panel software will only program the controller with  PDongle, EtherDongle or FPD via FPP. If you are not using one of these three methods I believe you will not get it working.

Those three are your only options at this time.

These could be possible solutions in the future.
1) Program with FPP using an FTDI dongle.
2) Program with Falcon Controller software using FTDI dongle.

Offline IamNick

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 07:35:47 AM »
This is the dongle I purchased:http://www.amazon.com/Baitaihem-USB-485-Adapter-Converter-WindowsXP/dp/B00LNTN0H2

Saw the prime shipping and saw that it was a Rs485 converter and went ahead an bought it. Oops. Next time I'll do some more research.

(Also sorry for any spelling or grammar issues,  I'm on my phone)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 08:13:52 AM by IamNick »

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2015, 08:20:13 AM »
David, FPP shouldn't care whether the device is on PixelNet connected to FPD, pdongle, or FTDI dongle.  All three should be sending out proper PixelNet frames so FPP should be able to bridge from E1.31 to any of the three with the same result unless you are doing something with these programming PixelNet packets inside the FPD that I don't know about.

Are you saying there is no default config in the firmware that would let the controller work or at least indicate it is receiving data until you program it?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2015, 08:28:04 AM »

This is the dongle I purchased:http://www.amazon.com/Baitaihem-USB-485-Adapter-Converter-WindowsXP/dp/B00LNTN0H2

Ok so that is not the dongle you indicated you purchased in the first post.  That explains it a little more.  Yes, that dongle should only work with FPP's master code branch, not with FPP v1.0 or prior.  The dongle you linked to in the first post would work with FPP v1.0 for both PixelNet and DMX.  The ch340 will only work for PixelNet with the latest development code, it will stil not work for DMX and probably never will.

Depending on David's answer to my previous post, we can give instructions on what it takes to get you blinking.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2015, 09:06:03 AM »
David's answer was in regarding to using the config utility on the F16 and not on using the dongle to run a show via FPP.  That is the info he has passed on previously in other forums.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2015, 09:20:02 AM »
I'm sending Nick a spare PDongle. That should help tremendously.