Author Topic: Anyone got Wifi running?  (Read 1612 times)

Offline egenoup

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
Anyone got Wifi running?
« on: April 24, 2015, 10:08:19 PM »
Two observations:

1.  The BBB does not like to run under 5V.  I have not tested to see where the threshold is, but when 18 panels drew the max current (full white), the power supply sagged by 0.2v down to 4.8 and the BBB stopped.  I had to adjust the power supply up, so when idle it was reading about 5.35V and at full white, 5.02V.

2.  I Plugged in the same WiFi adapter that I have used reliably with the RPi and it is not showing up in the drop-down list in the network section of the configuration page.  It is listed when I do an "ifconfig -a" at the command line.  I know I can modify the "/etc/network/interfaces file", but I believe I read somewhere that the change would not persist through a reboot due to the custom FPP startup script.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
Re: Anyone got Wifi running?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 04:15:08 AM »
Just change it, reboot and see what happens, I was surprised my static IP stayed through a complete wipe of the sd card, stored it on the usb stick apparently, so maybe an edit of the file on the USB stick would get you going.

Is there a step by step for the BBB like the Pi sitting out there on the wiki?  An octoscaller arrived and I'd like to get my BBB up this weekend.

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 08:03:49 AM »
Just change it, reboot and see what happens, I was surprised my static IP stayed through a complete wipe of the sd card, stored it on the usb stick apparently, so maybe an edit of the file on the USB stick would get you going.

Is there a step by step for the BBB like the Pi sitting out there on the wiki?  An octoscaller arrived and I'd like to get my BBB up this weekend.

Here is the step-by-step for BBB.
http://falconchristmas.com/wiki/index.php/Falcon_FPP_BBB

Pat

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 10:23:50 AM »
ah nuts, now I need to buy ANOTHER micro -sd card.  There was some discussion of the EEC or something chips on them, but they seem to be more money to have the space we need, but were much faster?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 205
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 02:42:41 PM »
The BBB has the eMMC already so the ability to use that could reduce the need to buy a SD if you use the USB flash for media.  Or you can use SD for media and skip the flash drive.
-
Chris

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 03:30:59 PM »
I haven't been able to get wireless working either on the BBB.  I do see it in the UI and can configure it but doesn't seem to help/work.  No biggie because I know its still all in the works.

FYI I tried with a EDIMAX EW-7811

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 07:19:30 AM »
So I needed to fill some time a couple nights back (yeah for lots of rain).  Got my BBB running on wireless now.  Only thing I did different this time was setup the network before I did the load of the FPP software on it.

I did notice the UI doesn't seem to be setting the network stuff up if you just configure in the UI vs manually so guessing thats probably why.  For example in my case I setup my wireless with a static ip and left my eth0 to dhcp.  I went into the UI and changed my eth0 to a static yet I never see that reflected in the /etc/network/interfaces file and or with a ifconfig.