Author Topic: Questions For the BBB from a complete NOOB  (Read 2583 times)

Offline rattataz

• Kudos: 0
Questions For the BBB from a complete NOOB
« on: May 18, 2015, 05:46:31 PM »
I have read the wiki but did not find these answers.
I am planning to use the BBB in bridge mode with the octoscroller for a P10 vertical matrix ( 8 x 3 )

1. The micro SD card. Are there recomendations/ minimum requirements ? ie. size, class, manufacturer

2. In another thread David Pitts posted " Support to run sequences from SD card so USB will not be required " Has this been implimented? Do I need the USB stick? If yes then recomendations / minimum requirements.

3. I know the octoscoller can handle 8 panels per output, is there any prefered layout options? What I mean, in my case where I'm having a 8 x 3 configuration, is there any advantages to connecting 8 panels to 3 outputs or 4 panels to 6 outputs or 3 panels per output?

There will be MANY more questions to follow but this should get me started.

Thx in advance

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
Re: Questions For the BBB from a complete NOOB
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 12:40:00 AM »
I use Kingston and San Disk memory cards and haven't had any issues.

The SD card can be made optional by installing to the eMMC and editting a file.  There is no official SD or eMMC image for the BBB yet.  I have been working on it in the past week though, so I hope for it to be out in the next 3-4 weeks as a FPP v1.5 Beta.

There is no preferred layout on the octoscroller.  The octoscroller/LEDscape code is always driving 64 panels worth of data, so it doesn't matter whether you are using 24 panels spread across 3 outputs or 24 panels spread across 8 outputs.  I would use whatever layout minimizes your cabling, which sounds like it would be 8 panels on each of 3 outputs or you could put the octoscroller and BBB in the  middle of your matrix and use 6 outputs of 4 panels each with panels chaining outwards to the two sides of the matrix.
-
Chris

Offline rattataz

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 01:30:30 PM »
I use Kingston and San Disk memory cards and haven't had any issues.
So 16gb should be OK?

The SD card can be made optional by installing to the eMMC and editting a file.  There is no official SD or eMMC image for the BBB yet.  I have been working on it in the past week though, so I hope for it to be out in the next 3-4 weeks as a FPP v1.5 Beta.

This statement is a little confusing to me. David said that the usb stick would be optional not the SD card & isn't eMMC a reference to SD cards? 

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 124
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 02:19:27 PM »
The BBB has its own high speed memory (eMMC) plus SD plus USB.

Offline rattataz

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 06:29:47 PM »
Thanx Jon for that clarification.

Told you I was a noob.  :P

So it sounds like eventually the image could be loaded onto the eMMC & there would be no need for the SD card or usb stick.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 07:12:43 PM »
Thanx Jon for that clarification.

Told you I was a noob.  :P

So it sounds like eventually the image could be loaded onto the eMMC & there would be no need for the SD card or usb stick.

Yes, at least no USB stick. That would let you put a Wireless card there. That will mean I won't need to have a USB Hub in the case with the BBB. I have a planned use for a BBB and the F4-B (Falcon 4 port Controller for BBB)

Offline rattataz

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 10:17:25 AM »
Another question.

According to the beagleboard wiki the beaglebone black is now shipped with debian. So is there a need to put the debian image on the SD card?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 10:46:34 AM »
Another question.

According to the beagleboard wiki the beaglebone black is now shipped with debian. So is there a need to put the debian image on the SD card?

currently, yes. The BBB does come with Debian installed on the eMMC. We are currently ignoring it. The Debian image that we install per the Wiki instructions goes on the SD card and is then modified to run Falcon software and control Falcon BBB capes.

But soon, there will be a way to modify the Debian installed on the board (in eMMC memory) to run Falcon and the SD card will be used for storage.
I'm trying to be patient. :)

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 11:00:14 AM »
You can put the wiki image on the eMMC also....thats what I've been doing and then using the SD card for the storage.