Author Topic: I'm slow, but my P10 matrix is working. Learned a lot  (Read 6007 times)

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 119
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
I'm slow, but my P10 matrix is working. Learned a lot
« on: May 21, 2015, 11:58:57 AM »
Seemed to take forever to finally get everything together.

I made a 3x3 matrix of P10s.  96x48 resolution. Not too shabby.

I used my BBB and the Octoscroller cape. Because it is "more than 8" panels, I had to use more than one Octo output, so I elected to use J1, J2 and J3, so each output carried 3 panels. Seemed symmetrical, but supposedly it will work just as well if I did 8 and 1 or 7 and 2 or 6 and 3.

I have a "movie" sequence borrowed from Tom Willows. It uses the sequence of over 9000 little JPG files created by the ffmpeg. Tom created the JPGs for his planned matrix (20 panels in a 4x5 arrangement) so I had to shrink it for mine. The resolution suffered but "from the curb" it would probably look OK. On Tom's video wall, it should look great.

Here's the short YouTube. The music is dubbed since the BBB doesn't have audio out. The sequence is playing from the FPP/BBB as a standalone player. "https://youtu.be/xMVyVyApLZM"

Construction pictures are at:  "https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3iI74ULigJibU9nNzZJcnBHdDA&authuser=0"

Currently sitting on a hallway floor near my computer room. Eventually, the plywood sheet will go inside a wooden box with grooves routed around the inside. 3 grooves. One for plexiglass, one for the panel assembly and one for a back sheet of plywood. (I'm better with wood than metal)

And this picture would have saved me some concern. I had the Hub75 plugs in from left to right instead of as now labeled.
Even though I had #1 plugged into #4, and it shouldn't have had any data, it was displaying scraps of correct data, enough to make me think I had configuration problems. It appears that there may be output noise on unused Octoscroller jacks because they aren't being told to be "off" or "dark"

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:25:23 PM by JonB256 »

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
Re: I'm slow, but my P10 matrix is working. Learned a lot
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 12:38:00 PM »
VERY COOL Jon
Jerry Plak

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 12:40:13 PM »
Nice Jon. You bringing it to Expo :)
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 12:41:05 PM »
Nice Jon. You bringing it to Expo :)
Yes indeed

Offline danj

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 06:58:19 PM »
Looks like you got a TV there!!!

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 08:16:27 PM »
I put a wireless card in the BBB and moved it outside (Not Raining!) for a street distance viewing.
My across the street neighbor came out to ask me why I had a TV out on the driveway. I finally had to walk with her toward the panels. As we got closer and it became pixelated, she was shocked. By the time we reached it, it really just looks funny.

Back at the street, it really is good, though. And this is just 96x48. Others are going much bigger.

I tried taking video when it got darker but it was just a burned out blob. Oh, well.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 205
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 10:44:49 PM »
It looks great.

If you do not configure an output/panel combination then it defaults to showing the same data as the panel at offset 0,0.  There is not really any way to turn that off unless I make FPP always copy 64 panels worth of data using blank data for unconfigured panel positions.
-
Chris

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 11:47:29 AM »
Quit messing with the F4-B for awhile. Reconnected my P10 3x3 matrix

Here's an older sequence, updated for the P10. Hundreds of random effects. I used Audacity to auto-generate timings for Emerson Lake and Palmer's "Fanfare for the Common Man."  Originally done for my 40x30 PVC pipe matrix, I resaved it on my 96x48 P10 matrix.

Here's about 3 minutes worth. Since the BBB still isn't playing music for me, the sound is from my PC and is "almost" synchronized. All the jaggies and blips in the video are artifacts of my Smartphone camera. Live, it is very stable and flicker free.

https://youtu.be/ttiQfhJzDbE

Warning - if you are epileptic or using any hallucinogenics, this is a warning!

Offline Voltorb

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 08:19:27 PM »
Thanks for the warning!

Have you routed channels in your frame for the panels and perhaps Plexiglas?  Not wanting to reinvent the wheel, I was hoping you would share.
John

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 05:48:00 AM »
Will do that very very soon. On a summer camp vacation right now.

Offline Voltorb

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 10:01:27 AM »
Thanks Jon.  Have fun, and be safe!

Offline dwetzel

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 10:29:27 PM »
I have a bbb and octoscroller with 16 adafruit 16x32 matrices. It is set up in a 4x4 configuration. I can' make it work at all. I probably don't have the Falcon Player set up correctly. On the status tab FPPD is always stopped, it wont restart.
Here are some screen shots of Falcon player. I  hope this will help somebody help me.

Offline Voltorb

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 11:16:06 AM »
Have you configured your E131 tab to match the setup in Nutcracker for your matrix?

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 04:47:20 PM »
I'm thinking you don't have the panel orientation correct in the setup ui of FPP.
You have all the arrows pointed down. I have never screen the back of the Adafruit Panles. Can you post a picture. Also what panel is the one that has the first connection to the BBB?

Pat

Offline neilric99

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 06:05:46 PM »
it looks to me with the way that you have configured the led panel outputs that you have  configured as 16x32 and not the 32x16 as it should be. the code will output on the horizontal 32 columns then down the 16 rows.

in this example I show that the octoscroller is on the right side and the panel orientation is up

so data is fed out the top right panel going left for 256 pixels then the next row etc for 48 rows.

on my panels I have 2 arrows, 1 pointing in the vertical direction with the arrow pointing to the first row of 16 and the other pointing to the left pointing towards the output and 32nd column.