Author Topic: Newbie to PI  (Read 3555 times)

Offline greg becker

• Kudos: 0
    • Corona Lights
Newbie to PI
« on: June 12, 2015, 03:20:33 PM »
Hello everyone,

I just received my Raspberry PI-2. I bought this kit from Amazon,

http://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Ultimate-Starter-Components/dp/B00G1PNG54/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1434143798&sr=1-3&keywords=raspberry+pi&pebp=1434143803745&perid=F71723C8CC3644478DDC

I purchased it to eventually control my light show, currently using LOR and want to run everything out of Xlights. I am brand new to the PI world and wanted to learn all about it as I hear so many talking about it. Can anyone point me in the right direction concerning the PI, how to use it with my light show, software to use etc,

Thanks in advance for your help,

Greg
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 06:59:39 PM by greg becker »

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
Re: Newbie to PI
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 07:24:15 PM »
Start reading, there is a lot of material here and don't forget to look in the wiki.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 07:35:06 PM »
Start reading, there is a lot of material here and don't forget to look in the wiki.

I was going to say - "start reading" but wasn't sure how it would come across. We are to the point now where most questions have been answered "somewhere"

Its just a matter of finding it. The Wiki is a good place to start to help get the terminology and hardware names in your head.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 05:51:23 AM »
One other thought is that you should put your location in your signature / profile.  There may be folks close to you who are already doing what you are interested in and most everyone that I have ever met in this hobby is more than willing to show you what they have and help you work out any bugs.  I have found over 10 folks in my county alone, just by watching the location of posters and have met face to face with the majority of them.  I find it hard to tell folks detailed info by writing, but others may do a good job.

Offline Gerry

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 06:47:50 AM »
Hello Greg,

Are you familiar with xlights or new to that as well ?
If new to xlights, have u used any other sequencer ?

Re PI, your first step is to install the software including the falcon player , but if new to xl, then u should look at that first.

As others have said, browse the wiki and forum and u will form a picture .
I recently went through exactly the same steps , but need to know where u are right now.
What controllers will u use etc.
Gerry

Offline greg becker

• Corona Lights
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 09:25:12 AM »
Hi Gerry,

I'm fairly new to Xlights, I have been playing around with it since Xlights 4 beta was released, I have been able to run some sequences and get all my lights to work etc. Last year was my first year with LOR and I'm a newbie there as well although I can find my way around ok. As most are I'm starting to go with more RGB, I preferred the ease of use in Xlights for sequencing.

I'm just now starting to convert all my LOR sequences to DMX so that I can import into Xlights. I currently have 10 LOR Controllers, 4 LOR CMB 24 controllers, IDMX1000, 2 Joshua1 P12S controllers, a PixLite 16 and a 682 (which I haven't gotten the hang of yet). Everyone on all the forums have been extremely helpful.

I like exploring new things and was intrigued by the Raspberry PI, I pulled it out of the box and put it in its case etc. but other than that I don't have a clue on what to do next, Yes, I will be reading and searching on this forum but was just looking for a place to start as I don't even know how or where to find the falcon software, what versions there are, How to install it or what it even does.

I'm a pretty quick learner and I would call myself a person with above average Computer skills, I had just noticed on a video I was watching that there were a couple different OS's that came preloaded on the SD card and I didn't want to install the wrong one so I'm waiting to make sure I do it right.

Thanks for any help you can point me to, I guess the first place would be to find and install the software.

P.S. These Verification codes needed to enter any type of reply is annoying, I have bad eyesight and they are very difficult to read, takes me 3-4 attempts sometimes.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 09:55:45 AM »
Those codes are to reduce spamming from spam bots and they will go away after around 15 or so posts.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 12:10:29 PM »
There are 4 sticky threads at the top of the topic "Falcon Pi Player"  That is the place to start.  Unless it has changed I think it is only 5 times that you have to put the codes in when posting before you get a pass.

Offline greg becker

• Corona Lights
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 12:36:12 PM »
Ok Ill start there, thanks, If anyone knows of any good videos on YouTube that would be great as well,

Offline Gerry

• Developer
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 01:39:55 PM »
Ok Ill start there, thanks, If anyone knows of any good videos on YouTube that would be great as well,

Hi Greg,
Please also see this post.
http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,2306.msg26739.html#msg26739

I followed the steps and had the PI with FPP configured and running in no time ( I was most surprised at myself ), just a couple of weeks ago.
But I also read almost every post prior to that just to get an idea.
Also recently transitioned from LSP to xlights.

Offline greg becker

• Corona Lights
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 02:21:29 PM »
Thanks Gerry,

I think I saw where it said the PI-2 is not supported yet on FPP? Do you know if the software is up to date?

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 02:46:37 PM »
Deleted. Sorry, should have read first post better.

Offline Gerry

• Developer
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 03:51:55 PM »
Thanks Gerry,

I think I saw where it said the PI-2 is not supported yet on FPP? Do you know if the software is up to date?
There is the version that is in beta that can be used if u want to play around now.
The link I posted from Aussiephil tells u the manual  steps to get it working now and that is what I used.
I think the oficial release and much simpler install is just a few weeks away.