Author Topic: Addition to BBB Wiki to help noobs  (Read 1185 times)

Offline dwetzel

• Kudos: 2
Addition to BBB Wiki to help noobs
« on: June 19, 2015, 09:04:33 PM »

It took me a few tries before I realized I needed to hold down the "user boot" button. Maybe this could be added to the shown Wiki the text.

   Take your Beaglebone Black (BBB) out of the box
   Connect a network cable.
   Insert the microSD card you just imaged into your BBB.
   Insert USB Flash drive.
   If you have a microUSB HDMI cable you can connect it to an HDMI monitor so you can view the boot process.
   While holding down the 'user boot' button, apply power to the board. Continue to hold the 'user boot' button until the USER LEDs begin to flash.
   Connect the power to your BBB. You should use a 5V external power source, USB power may not work

Note: Highlighted text was borrowed from the BeagleBoard.org website.

The Wiki is awesome, I liked being able to copy the commands into the ssh window.

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
Re: Addition to BBB Wiki to help noobs
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 04:15:53 AM »
I noted this in another tread when installing, but not everyone needs to do this for some reason.  It forces the BBB to boot from the SD card is what I read.

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
Re: Addition to BBB Wiki to help noobs
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 05:25:00 AM »

It took me a few tries before I realized I needed to hold down the "user boot" button. Maybe this could be added to the shown Wiki the text.

   Take your Beaglebone Black (BBB) out of the box
   Connect a network cable.
   Insert the microSD card you just imaged into your BBB.
   Insert USB Flash drive.
   If you have a microUSB HDMI cable you can connect it to an HDMI monitor so you can view the boot process.
   While holding down the 'user boot' button, apply power to the board. Continue to hold the 'user boot' button until the USER LEDs begin to flash.
   Connect the power to your BBB. You should use a 5V external power source, USB power may not work

Note: Highlighted text was borrowed from the BeagleBoard.org website.

The Wiki is awesome, I liked being able to copy the commands into the ssh window.

I updated the Wiki with your comments.