Author Topic: Pixel Questions  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Diamond Crescent Musical Christmas Lights
Pixel Questions
« on: July 19, 2015, 12:01:26 AM »
I bought some Pixels from DIY LED Express and sent them a questions a few days ago, but haven't heard back from them yet. I think that someone here should be able to answer one of my questions:

I'd like to know what the input side is on the pixels. If I look at them, the side without the chip has its 3 wires labeled as: +12V, DI (Short for Data In, I assume), and GND.

However, according to this page, Ray Wu's pixels have their input side with the big chip on it:
http://www.diylightanimation.com/wiki/index.php?title=Equipment#Nodes.28Lights.29_Info_.26_Order_Chart

Which is right?

Also, I assume that if I want to solder two strings together, the input/output wires are back to back? i.e. +12V In/Out, DataIn/DataOut, GndIn/GndOut.

And I suppose that these pinouts on waterproof connectors is still considered the "standard":
http://www.diylightanimation.com/wiki/index.php?title=3_Conductor

Offline Gerry

• Developer
Re: Pixel Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 01:04:28 AM »
Hello Gary,

The side which has DI (data input) is the input side . And yes the other side (output) will mirror the input. I normally use a magnifying glass to check (cause sometimes people use a different approach to whether the male or female goes onto the input side)

I normally get my pigtails soldered by Ray to the strips when I buy them (and then work from there), so cant answer that question of the connection standard.

Gerry

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 04:39:22 AM »
To add what Gerry said.

All my pixels also have arrows on the chip, clearly showing input and output. All my outputs are on the side with the chip, and clearly marked with two arrows pointing down, and labeled DO (data out).

One end of the string should be connected to the in side of the first pixel on the string, the other end should be connected to the output of the last pixel on the string.  Just match up output of one string to input of the next string. Keep in mind these joining points are also the points typically used for power injection, as required.

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
    • Diamond Crescent Musical Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 09:15:18 AM »
Would it harm the pixel string if data was sent to the data output wire? Or would the worst thing that could happen is that the string won't light up?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 12:55:32 PM »
Done it several times. No damage except to my pride.