Author Topic: new falcon 16 pixel controller.v2  (Read 4145 times)

Offline dale

• Kudos: 0
new falcon 16 pixel controller.v2
« on: July 20, 2015, 10:33:44 PM »
I am new to all this and coming from LOR this is what I think I want to do. use my normal LOR setup as I always do. The new pixel mega tree will be controlled by the F16v2... I have 10 Renard SS 24 boards as well can they just plug in to the F16v2 board and use standard Renard protocol or do they have to run DMX.

I will be using 12 mm pixel nodes to make the tree 12 50ct strings only doing half the tree the LOR and most the Renard will be used to run LED's but I want to use 15 stings of 50cnt dumb pixel nodes on my bushes so I will need some kind of controller for each of those strings as well is there a small rgb controller recommended to use with the F16v2 

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 74
Re: new falcon 16 pixel controller.v2
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 07:24:56 AM »
Hi Dale,

The F16V2 will output four circuits of DMX, Renard or Pixelnet. So you are good on the Renard. You will need to make a cable to switch from pins 1 and 2 on F16V2 to pins 5 and 4 on the Renard baords.   I will let others answer the rest. I hope. :)

PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline dale

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 11:05:39 AM »
David thanks for the reply I was hoping the Renard boards would be able to just plug in and didn't have to use DMX I plan to use E1.31 for the F16v2 and to run LOR on its on dongle/network using LOR S3 and Xlights

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 46
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 11:35:41 AM »
Do you already own the dumb strings?  If not, then I would not go that route.  The price difference between smart and dumb strings is so little now, many don't bother with dumb strings anymore and that make it a little more difficult to get the controllers for them.  Many of the smart string controllers have a dumb string mode and while they still require smart strings to work, they will control the entire smart string with 3 channels just like dumb strings work.  The advantage is that then you can at a later time switch them back to smart string mode and have the full power and capability of smart strings. 

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 54
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »
+10

Do you already own the dumb strings?  If not, then I would not go that route.  The price difference between smart and dumb strings is so little now, many don't bother with dumb strings anymore and that make it a little more difficult to get the controllers for them.  Many of the smart string controllers have a dumb string mode and while they still require smart strings to work, they will control the entire smart string with 3 channels just like dumb strings work.  The advantage is that then you can at a later time switch them back to smart string mode and have the full power and capability of smart strings.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA Falcon and Lynx, all 12v Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 106
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 02:59:25 PM »
A "bonus" about Smart Pixels versus the Dumb Pixels is that they don't consume nearly as much current (amperage).

I've been shocked (as in surprised!) by how many amps my Mega Tree star used with Dumb Pixels.
The secret is that Smart Pixels aren't actually "ON" 100% of the time. It makes a difference.

Offline AussiePhil

• Kudos: 11
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 05:51:06 PM »
A "bonus" about Smart Pixels versus the Dumb Pixels is that they don't consume nearly as much current (amperage).

I've been shocked (as in surprised!) by how many amps my Mega Tree star used with Dumb Pixels.
The secret is that Smart Pixels aren't actually "ON" 100% of the time. It makes a difference.

dumb and smart pixels generally use the exact same 8mm high hat LED and if set to draw 20mA/colour will have IDENTICAL current draw.

The reality (and secret) is that most 12v strings and especially the "smart strings" got designed with current limits per colour around 12mA to reduce the total draw.
5v strings also will draw a little under expected current due somewhat to voltage drops.

It's also become practice for all newer strings to be designed with slightly lower per colour current limits.

All cabling and power supplies should be specified to Full White, fully on current draw

Offline dale

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 11:36:02 AM »
So after taking a second look at the lights I had in my shopping cart. I replaced all the dumb pixels with smart ones turned out to be about 4 cent different saving I think it was so no need for the dumb ones and now I don't need all the extra dumb pixel controller at each string so that is a big saving right there. I should be able to run the whole house from the F16v2. and the yard will be a mix of LOR and Renard all on M5 LED's

is there anyway that I can run all my LOR and F16 and Renard all from the Pi 2 ? or would I be beer of jus using a home computer for it I have a spare 4 core dell 990 with 16 gig ram.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 74
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 11:48:17 AM »
That is what the Falcon Player was made for. :) Playing without huge expensive computer.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 12:56:56 PM »
I need to put my address in my signature so that people can send me all of their "old" quad and octo-core i7 systems that they don't need anymore since they can use the Falcon Player on a Pi to run their show. :)
-
Chris