Author Topic: how are people mounting their P10 matrices?  (Read 19099 times)

Offline Frankr

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 0
    • Rocklin Lights
Re: how are people mounting their P10 matrices?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 05:45:31 PM »
Here are a couple of photos of how my panels look. as you can see only the center hole on the long side is populated with threads.  I am thinking that my best bet might be to connect them at the short sides with strips of plexi glass and then attach that to a wood frame like Phil's post. not as elegant and clean but seems like a workable solution.

Frank

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 06:14:17 PM »
Has anyone asked their supplier if they can get the threaded inserts that are missing?

Myk

Offline mello_roberto

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 09:01:54 PM »

There are several styles of P10 panels and several sizes, so the 3D printed brackets are possible but very custom.

Across both styles that Ray Wu carries the holes spacing and positions are EXACTLY the same and the 3D print bracket designs now fit both styles.
these make a very clean and structured array
this photo has a slightly older version of the 3D design

This one shows the back of a 2x4 array

And the front

Using lightweight outdoor rated pine makes this frame design reasonable light weight and easy to handle.

What printer do you have? I am thinking about getting me one.

Offline AussiePhil

• Kudos: 11
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 11:28:37 PM »
Has anyone asked their supplier if they can get the threaded inserts that are missing?

Myk

Ditto - Ray Wu would have them I would expect.... a quick online search turned up all sorts of inserts available like http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/inserts/0278534/

Cheers
Phil

Offline AussiePhil

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 11:44:58 PM »

a FlashForge Creator Pro

Cheers

Offline mello_roberto

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 11:53:47 PM »

a FlashForge Creator Pro

Cheers

Sweet, this is the one I was looking for, I need to put on my wish list :-)

Thanks

Offline Charles Belcher

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 04:45:15 PM »
I am going to mount (24) P10 panels under one eve.  The BBB/octoscroller will be in center between #12 and #13.  I will be using four outputs on the octoscroller; two in either direction.  So I will have four runs out of the octoscroller, each connecting to 6 panels,   Let's take one "string" of (6) panels as an example.  If I run a 16 pin cable from the octoscroller to panel #13, then jump from #13 to #15, then jump #15 to 17, then #17 to 19, then #19 to #21, then #21 to #23; how long do the jumps need to be?  The next "string" of jumps in that same direction will connect all of the even numbered panels; 14-24.

I don't have the panels yet to measure, but would like to start building the 16in cables.   I will be receiving the Ray Wu indoor panels.  I will not build the initial home run cable as I don't know yet where the BBB/octoscroller will be physically.

Thanks in advance,

Charles Belcher
One of the 2018 "AllStars" on The Great Light Fight

Offline AussiePhil

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 05:09:44 PM »
Hi Charles,

The Panels are exactly 320mm long, the connectors would be roughly 100mm in from the edge so 100+320+100 = 520mm gets you from P13->P15 for example.

I know this interleaving was suggested before however it likely just complicates what could be a simple cabling problem.

Six panels wide is 1920mm plus 200mm of slack gives a 2100mm run from bbb to the 7th panel away with normal inter panel connections after that.
Brad in Brisbane has tested 2000mm (2M/6ft) runs successfully so you may be better to wait till you panels arrive and test a simplified cabling scheme.

cheers

Offline Charles Belcher

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 05:47:25 PM »
Hi Charles,

The Panels are exactly 320mm long, the connectors would be roughly 100mm in from the edge so 100+320+100 = 520mm gets you from P13->P15 for example.

I know this interleaving was suggested before however it likely just complicates what could be a simple cabling problem.

Six panels wide is 1920mm plus 200mm of slack gives a 2100mm run from bbb to the 7th panel away with normal inter panel connections after that.
Brad in Brisbane has tested 2000mm (2M/6ft) runs successfully so you may be better to wait till you panels arrive and test a simplified cabling scheme.

cheers

Simple is better.  I will wait.

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2015, 06:34:43 PM »

My 6 panel work in progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan

Offline Frankr

• Supporting Member
    • Rocklin Lights
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 06:57:29 PM »
Now if only I could figure out where I put my power and data cables during the move  :o

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 07:02:08 PM »

My 6 panel work in progress

Are some of those panels rotated 90 degrees where some are vertical and some horizontal?

If so you will need to hand configure the channeloutputs.json file since the UI currently requires that all panels be oriented the same, either horizontal or vertical.
-
Chris

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 07:07:37 PM »
Correct they are, and thanks for the heads up. I was going to get the BBB mounted last night, but I did another bone (pun not intended) head move. My BBB was mounted on the back of another board and I had the power brick a few feet away with little slack in the cord...needless to say I bent the barrel connector and now the BBB won't boot up (not even over usb)...so after I source another BBB i'll get to testing this again. I'm getting better with cable management and preventing these types of mistakes...just working in a garage in tight space at 100 degrees with humidity makes for some short temper situations...so I've walked away from the build for the rest of the week...

Are some of those panels rotated 90 degrees where some are vertical and some horizontal?

If so you will need to hand configure the channeloutputs.json file since the UI currently requires that all panels be oriented the same, either horizontal or vertical.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
how are people mounting their P10 matrices?
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 07:26:49 PM »
Let me know when you are ready and I can post some instructions.  The config and backend code support any layout, even overlapping panels, but the current UI requires a rectangle layout with all panels oriented the same.  For FPP v2.0, I want to enhance the UI to allow custom layouts as well.

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2015, 06:57:27 PM »
I have one panel to swap out...when drilling a hole for the mounting of the BBB i damaged a p10 panel

You can see what happens when you put a hole through a few pins on the p10 panel chip. Go figure I hit it!!

Anyways I'll swap it tomorrow and will use the my spare BBB until I can find one in Toronto for less than $90!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk