Author Topic: how are people mounting their P10 matrices?  (Read 18977 times)

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 209
Re: how are people mounting their P10 matrices?
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2015, 08:06:44 PM »
Great.  At the Expo, not of the things demonstrated was the ability to put the panels anywhere in the matrix area.  I had one panel offset by 16 pixels so it was in the middle of the two panels above it and the effects still lined up properly.  The LEDscape library we are using is flexible, the hard part will be making a UI that can take advantage of that flexibility.  :)
-
Chris

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
how are people mounting their P10 matrices?
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2015, 08:19:25 PM »
I have the offset and panel position figured out in my head. The L/R/U/N concept is still going to take some time. My 4x6 matrix is working nicely so I think I'm pretty much done now with my p10 setup for the season. Now it's time to go back and finish building the case/mounting Hardware.

And a word to the wise....cable management at the back of the panel is important. I still am kicking myself for pulling that power connector off the one BBB.

Do love the flexibility and ease  with the way we can setup panels.
Ryan

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2015, 04:00:03 PM »

Today I finished up with the wiring on the BBB and matrix. What I bought was a $2 barrel connector and wired the BBB to the psu that powers the panels. It is a 70a / 350w supply so complete overkill for 6 panels but I am content with the setup.

I'll never again have to worry about pulling the power brick or tripping over it ever again :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2015, 07:57:35 AM »
DR. - will this now go in some sort of a case or will it be hanging inside?
Pat

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2015, 04:04:46 PM »
Great question......
DR. - will this now go in some sort of a case or will it be hanging inside?
Pat

Last year I did projection inside one window, but I think I'm going to use this one panel instead and look at whole house projection options. 

My other 24 panel matrix will for sure have a case built for it.

If I do make a case for this on too which is still possible, i'm thinking I may have to use 2x6 and not 2x4s as I wanted to originally because of the depth of the PSU.

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2015, 04:00:16 PM »

Big brother is now cleaned up (aka I've cleaned up the wiring nightmare and powered the BBB from the power supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2015, 09:21:08 PM »
Big brother is now cleaned up (aka I've cleaned up the wiring nightmare and powered the BBB from the power supply.

Got to love that terminal strip that doubles as the left vertical support. :)

Offline Gilrock

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2015, 12:15:14 PM »
Well I'm kinda figuring it out on the fly.  Instead of brackets I decided to dust off the CNC and I cut out a piece of 1/4" plexiglas for mounting the panels.  Luckily all the holes lined up.  I cut some angled aluminum to attach along the sides which I will use to screw into whatever type of waterproof frame I build.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2015, 12:59:48 PM »
Very nice.

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2015, 02:08:37 PM »
Nice indeed! Do you have a drawing that you used for the CNC machine you can share?

Offline Gilrock

« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2015, 08:27:04 PM »
Sure I could provide what I created.  What format do people normally need?  I'm using Aspire from Vectric and it looks like I can export as EPS, DXF, AI, and SVG vector formats.  One thing I wish I had done is cutout the holes for the little plastic tips that were on the boards.  I ended up cutting them off of my boards.  It wouldn't be hard to add them into the drawing.  I didn't have a drawing for the panel to go by so I used calipers.  The weird thing is the bottom screw holes all seems to be in perfect intervals with 90mm spacing and 70mm from each edge.   But the side holes seemed a little closer than 90mm for some reason.  I ended up using 89mm but it a little tight for some of the screws.  I just measured another panel and it seems closer to 88.6mm.  Not sure why they didn't make it 90mm on the sides to match the bottom and top.  It helps if you cut the holes a little larger like 4mm.  I used a 1/8" bit so it was about 3.175mm and I was using 3mm screws.  I used the 4mm bit with a hand drill whenever the side holes were looking a little tight.

Offline Gilrock

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2015, 08:35:40 PM »
I exported the vectors into several formats.   You should be able to pull them from here.  Let me know if you'd like something changed or anything that needs to be fixed.  Would be nice to get some baseline drawings that others can use.

http://www.mediafire.com/?n55fqava1aq33

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2015, 08:54:36 PM »
dxf is perfect....thank you for sharing!!!

I can import that in qcad and work with it. Now i'll go back to the local guy in town and see if he can do anything with it for me. Not that I'm lazy, I just don't have a machine. Add it to my wish list :)

Offline Gilrock

« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2015, 10:22:37 PM »
I bought my plastic a little oversized and let the machine do a profile cut to trim it to the perfect size.  By the way if you look at the drawing there are 4 oddball holes...2 near the left edge and two more 870mm over.   That's because my machine can only cut 4'x4' pieces so I used those as registration holes since I had to do the toolpaths in two tiles.

Offline Gilrock

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2015, 07:18:12 AM »
Wiring completed:

Plus a test video I rendered in xLights using the Picture effect.  Couple things to point out the cellphone I used actually picks up the scan lines so those horizontal lines you see in the videos don't show up to the human eye.  Also I used ffmpeg to resize the video so it left a little black space at the top and bottom so the panel is not fully illuminated in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgdf0s4aiaE