Author Topic: What's the latest?  (Read 6687 times)

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
Re: What's the latest?
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2015, 05:39:28 PM »
I need to retest.  One of the things I demoed at the Expo was scrolling text across a P10 panel matrix and we went really high on the pixels per second and I don't recall it stuttering.  That may be because the BBB has faster memory than the Pi.  I will test on some panels I have.

We were running a 20 panel matrix in Xlights demo and I did not see any stuttering. That was P10 though. In my testing with strips I saw no stuttering either.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 208
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2015, 05:47:50 PM »
I need to retest.  One of the things I demoed at the Expo was scrolling text across a P10 panel matrix and we went really high on the pixels per second and I don't recall it stuttering.  That may be because the BBB has faster memory than the Pi.  I will test on some panels I have.

We were running a 20 panel matrix in Xlights demo and I did not see any stuttering. That was P10 though. In my testing with strips I saw no stuttering either.

I think he is talking about the Matrix Tools perl code since we did have some timing issues with that last year when stressing the CPU on the Pi too much.  So, the Pi 2 should help a little, but I want to revisit that code and see about trying to sync it with playback so we don't read data in the middle of a write.
-
Chris

Offline toozie21

• Kudos: 0
    • My website
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2015, 05:52:05 PM »

I think he is talking about the Matrix Tools perl code since we did have some timing issues with that last year when stressing the CPU on the Pi too much.  So, the Pi 2 should help a little, but I want to revisit that code and see about trying to sync it with playback so we don't read data in the middle of a write.
Yep, I think yoy are remembering it much better than me, that sounds right.

I wondered if I should pick up a pi 2 if they ever go on sale since you guys will be supporting it out of the box shortly.

Short and badly typed since written from my phone...

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2015, 07:02:08 PM »

... The issue we were seeing last year (as a reminder) was that when text was scrolling across a larger matrix, it would look like it was stuttering due to refreshes happening once a second.  If it will make a difference, I could always go towards a Pi 2 if they would see an improvement.

Toozie, what size strip matrix are you talking about?

I have one Pixel matrix (40x30), 2 strip Matrices (22x30 each) and now a P10 matrix (9 panels, 3x3).

None of them seem to have the stutter you describe. Last year I drove the first 3 from Pixelnet on F16V1 controllers. I was using a Pi and FPD board.

On my P10 matrix, whether in Bridge mode or standalone, I don't get a stutter. I do see some jerkiness that I attribute to a difference between physical resolution, font size, speed and refresh rate. I did do some testing of the P10 using 20msec timing instead of 40msec and I could see an improvement when close, but my wife didn't see a difference.

How are/were you driving your Matrix?

Offline toozie21

• My website
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2015, 07:10:07 PM »
Yoy know what, an important piece of info I didn't think about was that the issue was with scrolling text for doing mu Christmas countdown. So animations look ok, but about once a second (when the math is done for the countdown), it shows the stutter.

Mine is 73x20.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 208
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2015, 07:22:19 PM »
This has to so with the text annotation.  Now I remember better.  Scrolling text is OK.  Scrolling changing text will stutter once a second as it annotates the new text.  I will see if there is anything I can do about threading that off which will help on the Pi v2 and should help some on the older model if we can continue scrolling while annotation happens in another thread.

Offline toozie21

• My website
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2015, 07:25:13 PM »
This has to so with the text annotation.  Now I remember better.  Scrolling text is OK.  Scrolling changing text will stutter once a second as it annotates the new text.  I will see if there is anything I can do about threading that off which will help on the Pi v2 and should help some on the older model if we can continue scrolling while annotation happens in another thread.
Yep, this is all coming back to me today. If I had had some time on an actual PC, I probably could have saved us some back and forth by reading some of our old thread discussions.....