Author Topic: Now for a router question  (Read 5399 times)

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 180
Re: Now for a router question
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 05:27:30 PM »
I'm not sure on the exclamation mark, it may mean it was detected as a static IP instead of a DHCP client.

Some routers use a different port for remote mgmt UI or they have an access list of IPs allowed to remotely manage.  Your show route probably has a troubleshooting page where you could try pinging the house router IP to confirm the show router is talking on the house network properly.  Did you change the internal network subnet of the show router when you changed its wan connection to a static IP?

Or you could just disconnect and manage the show router by plugging your laptop into it.  There isn't a lot of benefit to connecting them unless you are keeping them connected so if you want to leave it as-is and not spend a lot of time troubleshooting you can always just use the laptop to manage the show router by plugging it in or using wireless to manage.
-
Chris

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 46
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 05:48:39 PM »
You are getting the exclamation mark because your router address in invalid.  You need to make sure that your show routers LAN address is 192.168.2.1. So disconnect it from your home network and connect it back to the standalone PC and make the change.  You can leave the WAN address to Automatic IP because with what you are doing, who cares what address your home network assigns to it.  If you want to be able to ping the show router, enable its Respond to Ping request.  When you connect the show router to your home network, it will assign it a local address on its WAN port and you should be good to go.  Make sure to keep NAT enabled on your show router or none of the devices on it will get to the outside world.  If you assigned your show router a static address, make sure that your home router gas not already assigned that address to another device because that is another reason for the !

Offline Charles Belcher

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 06:22:46 PM »
You are getting the exclamation mark because your router address in invalid.  You need to make sure that your show routers LAN address is 192.168.2.1. So disconnect it from your home network and connect it back to the standalone PC and make the change.  You can leave the WAN address to Automatic IP because with what you are doing, who cares what address your home network assigns to it.  If you want to be able to ping the show router, enable its Respond to Ping request.  When you connect the show router to your home network, it will assign it a local address on its WAN port and you should be good to go.  Make sure to keep NAT enabled on your show router or none of the devices on it will get to the outside world.  If you assigned your show router a static address, make sure that your home router gas not already assigned that address to another device because that is another reason for the !

tbone321,

Ok, I will start all over with it.  I did check Respond to Ping request and I did assign it a static address and I did make sure that address had not be assigned so I will recheck the other items.

Charles
Loser in the 2014 Great Light Fight

Offline Charles Belcher

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 11:21:00 PM »
I think I am getting closer to connectivity, but when I moved the show router back and connected it the house router, I still cannot connect to it.  I ran cat5 from house Lan to show router Wan. This is what I did last night:

Assigned show router 192.168.2.1 via show computer assigned to 192.168.2.2.

Did the following on the show router:
1) Enabled remote mgmt
2) Disabled DHCP
3) Verified in Router Status that he show computer was statically assigned 192.168.2.2 and that the default gateway was 192.168.2.1
Here are a few screen shots

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 46
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 05:06:31 AM »
First of all, your internet port (WAN) address is wrong.  That address has to be in the 192.168.1.X range with the DNS address set to address of your home router, probably 192.168.1.1.  This is what I was saying about it being on the wrong address in the previous post.  The WAN and LAN on a router cannot be set in the same address space (network) and all addresses on the home network need to be on the home routers networks address space.  As said before, there is really no reason to set the WAN to a specific address and you can just as easily set that ones DHCP to Automatic and let your home network assign it.  Why exactly did you shut down DHCP on the show router's LAN?  I would leave it enabled and just limit its range.  Also, make sure that NAT is still enabled.  On some routers, NAT and DHCP are tied together and when you shut down DHCP, you shut down NAT as well.  If NAT is not running, your devices on the show router will not be able to access the internet. 

Offline Charles Belcher

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 10:34:40 PM »
Got back to it tonight.

This is where I am at now.  The router I was working with last night is junk and beyond old so I found another router in my storage that had menus that actually did the things some of you suggested.

So far:

I have show computer with wi-fi turned off and no connection to house router.
I have a Tenda router.
I have two LOR Pixcon16 controller cards.
I connected show computer to Lan on router which is default of 192.168.0.1
House router is 192.168.1.1 (even though it is not connected at the moment)
I opened up Netscan and watched as I did all this.
I then connected the first Pixcon to the router Lan at the default of 192.168.0.50 (from factory)
and changed it to a Static 192.168.0.51
I then connected the second Pixcon to the router Lan at the same default and changed it to a Static 192.168.0.52
Then clicked scan with Netscan and saw all four devices come up with the correct addresses.  I selected a scan between 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.255
When I increased the scan range from 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.255, I saw the laptop come up twice, once with the show router ip and again with the house router ip (which is on the other segment)
Then I turned on wifi and re-scanned and saw all devices across both segments, including my TV set-top boxes.

So I guess this is all good? Now, with these results, will I even need to connect the show router to the house router?  If so, why?  don't forget I will not have the laptop during the playback as it will originate from the master Pi2/FPP.  I have not tried any tests by connecting the two routers together.  I can ping both Pixcon controllers and get a return.

I feel better tonight than I did last night.  I hope this is progress.

Charles

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:43:10 PM by Charles Belcher »

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 11:06:04 PM »
If you can do everything you want with the laptop and router configured as you have it then yes, it is success.  :)  if you don't need to connect them then don't.

Offline Charles Belcher

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 11:29:33 PM »
If you can do everything you want with the laptop and router configured as you have it then yes, it is success.  :)  if you don't need to connect them then don't.

Chris,

Thanks. 

I am looking for a compelling reason why I need to connect the two routers together.  Is there a reason for this when the Pi/FPP are inserted into the network?  The laptop will not be connected during the show and if I need to change something, I can walk the laptop to the show router and connect it; in fact, I already have a cat5 cable running from my house router to the place where the show router will be during Christmas, so I will not have to even walk it.

But again, I am looking for one of those..."if you don't connect the two routers, then...this will happen" kind of statements.

Charles

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 12:00:10 AM »
As long as you have a real time clock in the master Pi or the Pi can get to the internet to get to time servers then you don't need to connect the two routers.

Offline ssharpe83713

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2015, 03:40:17 PM »
Sorry to jump in on this running commentary, but I'm at the stage where I would like to create a show network off my home network.  For now, the show network will only use ethernet wired connections between a laptop, RPi, and SanDevices e6804.  Is there a link to a beginner's tutorial/explanation on the show network setup anywhere (so that those of you with the expertise don't have to repeat yourselves)?  Basically...what additional network equipment to purchase and how to connect it to maintain isolation except for initial time (no RasClock) and configuration.