Author Topic: Soldering Iron Recommendations?  (Read 3521 times)

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 12
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
Re: Soldering Iron Recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 09:57:19 AM »
I love when dots finally connect....

Jon, have you tried these (for those roof situations)?  You could use your butane lighter AND have a solid connection.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/100-Red-AWG-22-18-Heat-Shrink-Solder-Sleeve-Seal-Wire-Splice-Marine-Boat-Car-Seal/107624_32326629484.html

A friend of mine uses these in her home electronics business (makes specialized lighting product for marine use and has customers globally).

May be an easier roof solution.
Bentonville Heart Lites (www.facebook.com/bheartlites)
 This is just my opinion/suggestion/viewpoint.  Others with other viewpoints/experiences may have different advice.  I am a hobbyist with a couple years real world experience, not an expert.

Offline Gilrock

• Kudos: 8
Re: Soldering Iron Recommendations?
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 12:46:16 PM »
I remember pulling an extension cord out on the roof and balancing myself as I soldered something in mid-air that was hanging down from an eave.  I couldn't even get what I needed to solder down onto a hard surface because I didn't want to uninstall 30 feet of Plexiglas holding it in place.  I have one of those orange Weller irons but not sure how many watts it is.  It just has the 1-5 dial.  I've been kinda wanting one of the other blue Wellers with the temperature dial...I see one on Amazon for $128.  Soldering cabling it really doesn't matter but I've had a little more difficulty when trying to do circuit card soldering where you need it to heat up enough to wick the solder through the board.