Author Topic: We need a video to show how to set up FPP  (Read 6071 times)

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
Re: We need a video to show how to set up FPP
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 08:19:32 AM »
listened to all 3, great job!

sean

Thanks for taking the time to watch them Sean.  It helps to have knowledgable people confirm they are ok.

Alan

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2013, 08:30:52 AM »
Watched first 3 as well. Nicely done Alan! Thanks for doing this!

Roger

Offline Kevin

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 0
    • Colorado Christmas
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2013, 09:33:29 AM »
Great job Alan.  That is what we need more of for all the Falcon Products.

I posted a link to the Videos in the FPP Wiki page.

kevin
-------------------------
Kevin
Colorado Christmas

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2013, 02:10:20 PM »
Just watched all of them - very nice job.  Much better than I could have done

Tony

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 77
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 04:29:33 PM »
All I can say is Wow. That video series is very thorough and concise. It is the gold standard. Thanks again.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2013, 06:03:32 PM »
Thanks - FYI all the 5 parts are up there now.  So unless someone finds a problem I think I'm done.  Starting to think about the next thing I can work on.

Alan

Offline RobO

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2013, 09:39:24 PM »
Alan what a great job! I wish I would have had this when I was setting mine up. But the great members on here helped me out. Any chance of a quick how to on the rasclock, would love to get it off line incase I lose internet during a show. I think that would finish out the how to tut. Either way we all thank you for your time putting this together for us. Rob

Offline Scottyj

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2013, 06:42:46 AM »
I second the RasClock tutorial request
Thanks
Scott

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2013, 06:50:11 AM »
Alan what a great job! I wish I would have had this when I was setting mine up. But the great members on here helped me out. Any chance of a quick how to on the rasclock, would love to get it off line incase I lose internet during a show. I think that would finish out the how to tut. Either way we all thank you for your time putting this together for us. Rob

I am happy to do that, however, I need to order a RASclock first, so I am not sure what time commitment I can give to this.  I don't want to say yes I'll do it until I have the hardware in my hand.  It's a small goal of mine to get videos covering the full range of FPP possibilities.  As a side note...I haven't tested this yet, however, I would think that as long as the FPP has internet at boot it should keep time for a "while".  I would imagine the drift would be more severe since there is no hardware clock but I'm certain it wouldn't just drop the current time all together. Anyway, I will order the RASclock today and see what I can get done.

I also want to do a video that does nothing but explore setting up outputs.  Multicast, Unicast, Universe creation.  I think that single video could help a lot of people.

Thanks for checking out the videos, I really think the FPP is a brilliant show computer and look forward to what all can be done with it.

Alan

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2013, 06:51:48 AM »
I second the RasClock tutorial request
Thanks
Scott

ok, haha I hear ya..... I will order the rasclock now!

Alan

Offline RobO

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2013, 07:02:31 AM »

Thanks for checking out the videos, I really think the FPP is a brilliant show computer and look forward to what all can be done with it.

I remember sean writing that we can output hdmi video to go along with our show. Can't wait to see that come happen! Seems  like there are alot of possibilities with the pi.

Offline Materdaddy

• Kudos: 10
    • Christmas On Quiet Hills
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2013, 08:30:54 AM »

If you lose internet during a show is one thing, if you run your Pi without internet access, that's another.

If you lose internet for a little bit without power cycling your Pi, it is fine.  Once you set the time is set it will stay darn close (I'm not sure with what precision, but I'm sure you can find out with a google search) unless you reboot.

If you plan on running without internet access, you could set the time and not reboot the Pi, or you could use a hardware clock like the rasclock.

In the latest code when you set the clock in the UI, we set the system clock, then we also write it to the hardware clock.  The hardware clock's time is restored (if present) upon boot, so there really isn't much to it at this point.

The Howto for rasclock:
  Turn off your Pi
  Install the Rasclock
  Go to the FPP webpage's time settings page
  Set the clock

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2013, 09:14:21 AM »
Thanks Materdaddy - I thought I had read where you guys had integrated support for the RASclock.  I hadn't paid too close attention since I am not planning to use one.  Sounds to me like you have finished that integration.   However, I will see about putting your steps into a video tutorial since I went ahead and ordered one for a tutorial video.