Author Topic: We need a video to show how to set up FPP  (Read 6167 times)

Offline Santa

• Kudos: 0
  • Hey, That's Santa!
    • Check out my professional Santa page.
Re: We need a video to show how to set up FPP
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 04:46:13 PM »
Huuuuppppp.... (that's the sound of me holding my breath... I'll see what I can do about that MacPro)

Offline Santa

• Hey, That's Santa!
    • Check out my professional Santa page.
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 05:58:20 AM »
t.. u... r... n... i... n... g...    b... l... u... e...........

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 07:05:12 AM »
Sorry Santa - you can exhale.  I am trying to be good but ran into another snag.  My 6 year old laptop choked on trying to render the entire video.  I am having to break it out into roughly 10 minute chunks (based on topic)  and start the render (all over again).    I am I'm finally getting good videos but there will now be (guessing) 6 parts instead of a single hour video (at least for now).   I could probably stitch the videos together but thinking it might be better for most folks just to leave it in sections.  Some parts won't need to be seen more than once, while other parts might be helpful for future reference.

Alan

Offline JoelRose

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 07:51:48 PM »
Probably good to break it up if it is that long.
Easier to find the part you need for later reference.

We can wait,
but not too long

Joel

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 09:36:09 PM »
I have started uploading files to vimeo.  There's only one up there now covering the software needed.  It's actually part 2 in the series but it was a very short clip so took very little time to compress.  I think it shows the tone of the entire series so please take a look if you have a little time, just realize it's not the beginning.     It's going to take a while to get all the parts out there.  I ended up stealing my daughters MacBook Pro she got from Santa last year to help me get all the renders done.  (Several are still being run through my video compressor prior to upload)    I am stunned at how much faster her 2012 Mac Book Pro is compared to my 2008 Model...... I know, I know - I shouldn't be shocked but dang my computer is down right awful compared to hers.  Mine was a top of the line model in 08 and hers is a middle of the road 2012 model.   I'm trying to figure out why Santa thought she deserved a new computer and I didn't last Christmas......... She's 11!!!!!    Thank you for your patience.  I hope to have most of the video sections up by the morning.    Also, Please remember this first video series is a beginners guide so any of you with a working FPP may not find much useful info.  It is geared towards someone who hasn't seen or touched one before.  Also be gentle with me,  I am not a trainer by trade just trying to do my part to help the community.  If you are knowledgable on the FPP and you watch the videos please point out any glaring problems, or feel free to stroke my ego if you think the videos are useful.  I am not against shameless praise. 

Here is the link to the first video. Again it's a very short section covering downloading the required software.  If you are really new to this I would ask you to wait until the videos are vetted by some of the senior members.  The last thing I want to do is cause our new users more confusion!
http://vimeo.com/77561237

Please expect several more sections by morning and should have all sections up by tomorrow night.

Thanks Ashlyn for the use of the laptop!!!

Thanks,
Alan

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 10:58:06 PM »
nice job Alan!

does part 1 show how to connect the pi player hardware together? i think showing people the sd card, usb flash, the network cable hardwired to your local hub is the beginners config.

later, people can see what it takes for wireless and for the rasclock.

the others you probably did was how to run the web page software.

if they are as good as this first one, this will be a real help to new users.

thanks for doing it

seam
Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 80
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 11:13:39 PM »
Very impressive. The content is spot on. Thanks again for your help. Your videos will be a wonderful needed addition. We will create a sticky in the FPP forum for all of them to go.

Thanks Alan. I feel blessed and excited.

David
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 11:19:42 PM »
Part 1 - is Purchase links, hardware parts list, and at touch of background (Rendered, Compressed and uploading now)
Part 2 - is Software (As you saw) - Complete.
Part 3 - SD Card and usb Stick formatting and software install on a windows machine.  (Complete - Up on Vimeo now)
Part 4 - SD Card and usb Stick formatting and software install on a mac (This will be done tomorrow)  I haven't render the actual video yet so it will be last probably tomorrow night.
Part 5 - The magic (Wire it up, First Boot and Blinky Lights) - Rendered, Compressing now, with hope to upload in the morning.  (This is by far the longest video at 50GB uncompressed and 30 minutes long)

Thank you for the kind words.  It means a lot coming from you.  I have been searching a long time for ways to help the community.  These training videos may become a regular thing for me if this goes well.

Edit: That last sentence applies to both of you equally Sean and David!

Alan

Offline smeighan

• Developer
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 11:39:37 PM »
"This is by far the longest video at 50GB uncompressed and 30 minutes long"

I am curious why they are so big?

i use screencast-o-matic to record my screen (1920x1080).
http://screencast-o-matic.com/channels/cXhI3EVTh

my oct 17th tutorial was 2 hours and 10 minutes. this produced a 670mbyte mp4 file.

50gbytes for 30 minutes seems strange.
i pay for the 5gbytes/upload/day , like $10 month. This means my uploading to vimeo has always been fast.

just curious

Offline Materdaddy

• Kudos: 10
    • Christmas On Quiet Hills
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 11:47:22 PM »
Part 1 - is Purchase links, hardware parts list, and at touch of background (Rendered, Compressed and uploading now)
Part 3 - SD Card and usb Stick formatting and software install on a windows machine.  (Complete - Up on Vimeo now)
Part 4 - SD Card and usb Stick formatting and software install on a mac (This will be done tomorrow)  I haven't render the actual video yet so it will be last probably tomorrow night.
Part 5 - The magic (Wire it up, First Boot and Blinky Lights) - Rendered, Compressing now, with hope to upload in the morning.  (This is by far the longest video at 50GB uncompressed and 30 minutes long)

Thank you for the kind words.  It means a lot coming from you.  I have been searching a long time for ways to help the community.  These training videos may become a regular thing for me if this goes well.

Alan

Alan, great work.  Part 2 started off a little "strange" with the "uhh... ok... we're going to " and then it started rolling.  Part 3 however, I LOVE how it starts: "As much as it pains me..."!  Geek humor?  Windows hater humor?  Either way, I like it.  :P

I especially like how you are very clear about the things people are likely to have problems with (root level of the SD card for the files).  I'm not your target demographic, but from where I sit, it seems like these videos will be very good to get people up and running from what I've seen so far.

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 11:55:47 PM »
"This is by far the longest video at 50GB uncompressed and 30 minutes long"

I am curious why they are so big?

i use screencast-o-matic to record my screen (1920x1080).
http://screencast-o-matic.com/channels/cXhI3EVTh

my oct 17th tutorial was 2 hours and 10 minutes. this produced a 670mbyte mp4 file.

50gbytes for 30 minutes seems strange.
i pay for the 5gbytes/upload/day , like $10 month. This means my uploading to vimeo has always been fast.

just curious

Sean,

For that last video I am actually combining 1080P External HD camera work with Screen recordings and transitions via Final Cut Pro.  The renders out of FCP are typically huge.  Then I run the rendered files through a "relatively" high quality compressor.     I finish with a compressed 720P file that I upload to Vimeo which are around 250MB per 10 minutes.  I am also paying (as of today) for the 5GB uploads to Vimeo.  I am expecting the 30 minute file to be around 750MB in the morning.  It's cranking away in the compressor on my daughters laptop right now.

I use the built in quicktime screen recorder on the Mac for my screen recordings and they are more normal sizes by themselves because the compression is done on the fly during the recording.

Alan

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 12:00:43 AM »

Alan

Alan, great work.  Part 2 started off a little "strange" with the "uhh... ok... we're going to " and then it started rolling.  Part 3 however, I LOVE how it starts: "As much as it pains me..."!  Geek humor?  Windows hater humor?  Either way, I like it.  :P

I especially like how you are very clear about the things people are likely to have problems with (root level of the SD card for the files).  I'm not your target demographic, but from where I sit, it seems like these videos will be very good to get people up and running from what I've seen so far.

I'm not the best at public speaking..... It "kind of" flowed better when it was one long video where part 1 transitioned to part 2..... and probably made more sense with the "uhh ok stutter"  I probably should have cut that out but had been fighting this old computer chewing on HD video and the last three nights have run a little long for me so that stutter slipped through.  for now I just have to look like an idiot for a while I may trim that one up a little after everything else is done.   

The main thing for me is to provide accurate information that helps the community.  So as long as it ends up accurate I'm ok looking a little silly.

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 12:37:40 AM »
ok - parts 1, 2, and 3 are done and up on Vimeo.  Part 4 is just the Macintosh formatting and will be done last... sometime tomorrow.    Part 5 -(the final build and blink video) is compressing and I hope to upload it first thing in the morning.  Please watch the first three video's and let me know if there are any problems.  I saw a little slowness/stall during the assembly portion at the end of video 1, I'm not sure if I have a little network hiccup or if the video is problematic in that area.  If others reports problems with that one I will re-compress it with a better bit rate and upload it again.  Otherwise the three videos look good to me.

Thanks,
Alan

Offline smeighan

• Developer
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 08:04:05 AM »
listened to all 3, great job!

sean

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 08:14:32 AM »
Part 5 is now up on Vimeo.  This is the heart of the beginners guide and probably deserves the most scrutiny.  I have already found 1 small problem where at one point I talk about shutting down the Pi but don't show how to do it.  I have noted that deficiency in the video notes.  If we find many more I will make some alterations and upload it again.

Part 4 is not yet done but is not needed unless the user is on a Mac (It is just a repeat of part 3 from a Macintosh perspective)  I hope to finish this one tonight.

Part 5 is here:
http://vimeo.com/77589618