Author Topic: ACL MK2 Strobes  (Read 3751 times)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 118
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: ACL MK2 Strobes
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 10:50:24 AM »
I did some initial testing just taking voltage readings.  Some interesting stuff.

In your first video with no Buck converter, the "unstable" voltage reading is likely due to the PWM waveform put out by the MR-16. Your multimeter is sensing the changing voltages in the square wave output.

Then, when you connect the Buck converter, you get a nice, stable voltage because the Buck is smoothing it out to a better DC waveform.

As far as the 9vdc spike, that may be so momentary that it won't matter. If it was just a simple white LED in the strobe, it would certainly be fine. But, those ACL strobes do have a small chip controlling them and I don't know their specs.

So, I'm still on the fence about the Buck converters. I may ask that on the ACL site.

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 10:55:43 AM »
Yeah now that you mention the falcon atx board.....thats how my mr16 is actually powered (12v).  I totally forgot about the 5V on that board.  So Ill do like that diagram on ACL  having the 5v directly from the atx board instead of going through a buck. 

Only problem I have with them as far a random goes.  They are random/look nice once they are going but from a couple tests it takes 5 - 10 seconds before they are really random, at least on my two sets.  Kind of reminds me of the AC strobes....have to warm them up :)

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 11:53:03 AM »
Doing it that way didn't do it either.  Its like its "reseting" every half second or so.  Probably what you explained with the PWM from the MR16 because the voltage is not constant. I see the same with the voltage going up/down, vs constant.   Back to the drawing board.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2015, 12:36:40 PM »
Confused.  Jon, you're saying they are random as the video right after being first turned on?  And think Todd's problem is due to not properly powering them?  Or they do this every time they turn on OR only just the very first time ran?  Clear as mud?  ;D
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2015, 12:45:24 PM »
Mine both take a little "warm" up time to become random.  This is applying 5v directly no controller

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 01:42:53 PM »
Confused.  Jon, you're saying they are random as the video right after being first turned on?  And think Todd's problem is due to not properly powering them?  Or they do this every time they turn on OR only just the very first time ran?  Clear as mud?  ;D

The truth is in between. I do believe they all "start" at the same time but then randomize.
If you have them bundled as shipped (see twooly's picture - mine came the same way) you can see them slowly randomize

But - if you have them spread out in a line or circle or loop or in a tree, after that initial flash, they are random to the viewer.

I just thought of this but haven't tested -

If you are powering them from a 5vdc DC controller and bring the voltage up slowly, I'd bet that some would start before others, giving an actual random start. Unlike Xenon strobes, that should not bother these strobes.

Using a Buck converter would not allow that method.

I'll modify one of my MR-16s in the next few days to power it from 5vdc instead of 12 and try different things..

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 01:57:44 PM »
Couldn't we just stick a good size resister on the 12v line and drop it to 5v?  Burn off a little heat, but it'snot like these strobes are on all white all the time.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2015, 02:00:40 PM »
Couldn't we just stick a good size resister on the 12v line and drop it to 5v?  Burn off a little heat, but it'snot like these strobes are on all white all the time.

If they drew a consistent amount of amperage (milliamps), then you could calculate the right value to drop the 7volts (12 down to 5).

You could even put 14 silicon diodes in series to drop that 7 volts.

Offline AussiePhil

• Kudos: 11
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2015, 07:12:32 PM »
a quick chime in....

The original PIC code to randomise these required them to at least turn on, this gives the initial all on at which point there is a randomise function that changes the time between flashes.... not sure exactly how the current code is implements but doubt there is much change.

the idea of using a resistor to drop the voltage is a bad idea and won't work due to the random current draw of a string.

Offline t.jo13

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2015, 07:45:20 PM »
Here is plan B if A doesnt work : use a Dsc with a buck converter . The Dsc works for the 12v strobes I have from Ray . I know we are taking about 2 different animals  (  ACL and rays 5v strobes )  Just an Idea  : )

Joe

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2015, 10:19:28 PM »
So the 7 diode idea would work if the buck converter does not, or just use a real 5v relay being run off the 12v boards (e.g. dsc, mr16, LOR dc board etc)

Offline AussiePhil

• Kudos: 11
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2015, 11:25:40 PM »
One simple option and the one i will likely use myself is
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25A-DC-To-DC-SSR-25-DD-Single-Phase-Solid-State-Relay-Module-5V-80V-3-32V-/121547735517?hash=item1c4ccf41dd

The 25A may well be overkill though :)

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2015, 05:18:37 AM »
Here is plan B if A doesnt work : use a Dsc with a buck converter . The Dsc works for the 12v strobes I have from Ray . I know we are taking about 2 different animals  (  ACL and rays 5v strobes )  Just an Idea  : )

Joe

This works beautifully!  Thank you, never thought of that, figured it would have been the same as the MR16 (voltage up/down based on PWM), but it is not.  It holds steady.  Just gave it a test and they work great, minus the "warm up not random"

I'm also going to give AussiePhil's idea a try too just because :)

I wasn't really planning on using this these year but looks like I might after all!

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2015, 11:19:55 AM »
Here is a video of them not in the bundle, not 100% spread out but this gives you a better idea.  To me and this is my opinion they don't seem random until ~15 seconds after power up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaxHkN8cZHA

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2015, 11:53:45 AM »
Thanks, but no thanks.   ;D 

Not sure if you guys saw this. http://diychristmas.org/vb1/showthread.php?1933-K%D6mblinkin-16-channels-of-wireless-strobe-blinding-madness

Komby presale 20% off ends tomorrow!