Author Topic: New AliExpress find - 12v WS2811 pixel strings  (Read 17850 times)

Offline corey872

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 16
    • Link to the sale...
Re: New AliExpress find - 12v WS2811 pixel strings
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2016, 07:34:17 PM »
TLS3001 is an 8 bit x 3 channel chip
http://www.bestlightingbuy.com/pdf/TLS3001%20Datasheet.pdf

WS2811 is an 8 bit x 3 channel chip
https://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/WS2811.pdf
(though they say it as "Gray level 256 can be adjusted...")

Any chip could respond to a controller sending fewer bits...provided they are the right bits.  Perhaps they were referring to some other controller?
Corey
 2018 uSC, Afterburner, uAmp co-op - pending May-June 2018.  Remaining boards are now FOR SALE

Offline L1011

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2016, 11:50:21 AM »
Could you take some pictures and let us know the spacing between each node?

This was hard to do with one hand holding the camera and the other trying to hold pixels and take measurements...

Center to center bulbs spacing varies 2 3/4" to 2 7/8", which is quite frustrating.  I don't think these are going to fit in mounting strips with 3" spacing.  The space between wires also varies from pixel to pixel.  Some are 75mm others are ~78mm.

Further, I do not yet have my controller (F16v2) or any power supplies to test these pixels so I don't know if they work or not.

On the plus side, it took six days to get from Hong Kong to my door in New Hampshire... not bad at all.

Newbie for 2016 using FPP, F16v2r, F4v2, and WS2811 bullet pixels.

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2016, 02:12:06 PM »
Could you take some pictures and let us know the spacing between each node?

This was hard to do with one hand holding the camera and the other trying to hold pixels and take measurements...

Center to center bulbs spacing varies 2 3/4" to 2 7/8", which is quite frustrating.  I don't think these are going to fit in mounting strips with 3" spacing.  The space between wires also varies from pixel to pixel.  Some are 75mm others are ~78mm.

Further, I do not yet have my controller (F16v2) or any power supplies to test these pixels so I don't know if they work or not.

On the plus side, it took six days to get from Hong Kong to my door in New Hampshire... not bad at all.

Sorry to hear that.

Hopefully others reading this will understand that if you plan to use pixels on 3" spacing (like strips where the spacing is fixed and accurate) you really should order strings a bit longer, I likely would have ordered 4" spacing if using 3" spacing on the strips.

On the other hand, you might be able to use them for something else!  :)   Or, you might just consider selling them and get ones that meet your spacing needs.  I'd have offered to buy them myself, but i'm looking for more green wire, no RGB.  I do have a brother-in-law in NH that was looking for pixels, but pretty sure he's undecided about what to get yet, but leaning towards C7 or C9's I think...

Offline L1011

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2016, 02:40:08 PM »
On the other hand, you might be able to use them for something else!  :)   

Oh I'm going to use them...ChromaCanes and ChromaBulbs from Boscoyo are where they're going!  If this vendor has them on sale again, I'll buy a bunch more for a 2" spaced matrix. I just need to test them to make sure they perform well (quality seems pretty good).

I also ordered pixels from HolidayCoro during their first 2016 Pre-Sale and those will be for my 3" spaced MegaTree.

Offline AussiePhil

• Kudos: 11
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2016, 03:18:36 PM »

L1011

Based on your photo I'd be very wary about ordering more of those, the lack of epoxy or any other filling on the wire end that doesn't extend to the end of the plastic pixel indicates potentially poor weather sealing as it's far easier for the wires to pull apart under any sideways stress.

I've circled what I mean in the attached image

Phil

Offline L1011

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2016, 03:42:56 PM »
Phil, after reading your post I went back and checked the lights. You're right, quite a few of them do not have epoxy filled all the way to the top as you've pointed out in your picture.

<Sigh> These are my first set of pixels so I have nothing to compare them against.  I guess you get what you pay for... Hopefully my pixels from HolidayCoro are of much better quality.

Bryan

Offline AussiePhil

• Kudos: 11
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2016, 04:53:13 PM »
Phil, after reading your post I went back and checked the lights. You're right, quite a few of them do not have epoxy filled all the way to the top as you've pointed out in your picture.

<Sigh> These are my first set of pixels so I have nothing to compare them against.  I guess you get what you pay for... Hopefully my pixels from HolidayCoro are of much better quality.
Bryan

Yeah Bryan, 7 years of buying pixels with all sorts of quality has taught me a few lessons, one being that saving the last few cents is often a poor decision.
Couple others:
Epoxy filled pixels must be fully filled at both ends otherwise they are little better than other types.
simple effective way to stop wires being pulled apart on nodes is to zip tie the wires together as the exit the node
nothing will stop the LED legs corroding if they are not covered with epoxy or silicon fully.
Generally square nodes are better for placing into strip or panel due to the way the wires enter and exit the pixel.

Offline L1011

« Reply #67 on: February 29, 2016, 09:31:09 PM »
Update on this... This store on Aliexpress ("LED-House") appears to have gone out of business.

Offline Bill Ellick

• Kudos: 1
    • Long Lake Lights
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2016, 02:16:32 AM »
There was a FaceBook post a bit back from Paul Zang about the stores on AliExpress being charged a big fee this year and a lot of them were shutting down due to it.  Pretty much just another change in business like any other company.  Times change and so do business models.

If you have an email contact for them, you should check into it and see if they have just dropped from AliExpress and are still selliing or are they completely out of business.

Phil is spot on with is "List of Woes" to consider when buying!  I was working with a couple of different factories last year attempting to get some newer style pixels up and running for sale (not there yet) and had problems with the factories not making things to specs myself and this was just on "test runs".
Seems like it would take two or three small orders to get them to fix a problem (like the epoxy filling being consistent) and then when trying to fix the next problem (consistent spacing of pixels) they would go back to shabby epoxy filling practices!  I think I lost a lot of hair during that time!

You take chances by buying through China direct but you can save some money if you are diligent, make your demands and expectations very clear, and get some "samples" of the actual product that you want to check it before you place that big order!  The extra time spent in contact will save a lot of headache or at least make it much less!

Experience is a great teacher but many can't or don't have the time or luxury of waiting so they "get what they paid for".  There are so many "old timers" on these forums who have gone through the headaches that you can "usually" get first rate information now on the quality, reliability, and pricing for the stuff coming out of China although it is always changing as well so there is always going to be that "take this with a grain of salt" unknown to deal with as well.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:28:21 AM by Bill Ellick »

Offline gadgetsmith

« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2016, 08:13:38 AM »
Update on this... This store on Aliexpress ("LED-House") appears to have gone out of business.

Yea.  Bummed about it too.  I really like these pixels, so i'm gonna have to go and find myself a new supplier.  The key feature to me was the ability to connect three strings (150 nodes), and not have color shift at the end.  That combined with price was a winning combination.

There was a FaceBook post a bit back from Paul Zang about the stores on AliExpress being charged a big fee this year and a lot of them were shutting down due to it.  Pretty much just another change in business like any other company.  Times change and so do business models.

If you have an email contact for them, you should check into it and see if they have just dropped from AliExpress and are still selliing or are they completely out of business.

Interesting.  Also, kinda a bummer.  I like competition, keeps sellers from getting lazy, and that is never a good thing.

Phil is spot on with is "List of Woes" to consider when buying!  I was working with a couple of different factories last year attempting to get some newer style pixels up and running for sale (not there yet) and had problems with the factories not making things to specs myself and this was just on "test runs".
Seems like it would take two or three small orders to get them to fix a problem (like the epoxy filling being consistent) and then when trying to fix the next problem (consistent spacing of pixels) they would go back to shabby epoxy filling practices!  I think I lost a lot of hair during that time!

You take chances by buying through China direct but you can save some money if you are diligent, make your demands and expectations very clear, and get some "samples" of the actual product that you want to check it before you place that big order!  The extra time spent in contact will save a lot of headache or at least make it much less!

Experience is a great teacher but many can't or don't have the time or luxury of waiting so they "get what they paid for".  There are so many "old timers" on these forums who have gone through the headaches that you can "usually" get first rate information now on the quality, reliability, and pricing for the stuff coming out of China although it is always changing as well so there is always going to be that "take this with a grain of salt" unknown to deal with as well.

I'm that guy that's always looking for a great deal, so I just wanted to share this info in case anyone else was in that camp too.  Guess it doesn't matter now that the shop is closed!

Might be too early to tell, but the amount of epoxy wasn't an issue for me this year.  Phil is in a totally different climate than mine for Christmas, and I don't mount the pixels in a manner that would put the wires under sideways stress, and perhaps his failures became more pronounced after several seasons?  Guess only time will tell for me.

cheers!

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2016, 08:52:02 AM »
Hopefully no one got shanked.  I am done with China deals for pixels.  I don't have the patience for the dealings/QC issues/mis-typed specs...  I guess that means I am an old timer at 43...   ;D 
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline gadgetsmith

« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2016, 09:10:01 AM »
Hopefully no one got shanked.

I hope not too!  To imagine I thought that only happens in prison!  lol.  :P

Seriously though, it sounds like maybe he was forced out due to the fee's?  I've bought pixels from Sinon Lee, maybe David was his brother, and trying to break into the business!  lol.

I am done with China deals for pixels.  I don't have the patience for the dealings/QC issues/mis-typed specs...  I guess that means I am an old timer at 43...   ;D 

You won't have a show at all if your done dealing with Chinese pixels and mis-typed specs!  :)    ... I get ya though... let someone else deal with the headache.  At 'almost' 47, the "deal" is still fun!

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2016, 02:10:59 PM »
Yep, a poor word choice but much better for what I would normally say...  I think my profile pic should suffice  :o

Last order from pixelsequencing placed online was 100% accurate, on my doorstep in a few days and that did it for me. 

Offline gadgetsmith

« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2016, 05:51:47 AM »
yea, I got panels from pixelsequencing. I'd buy from him again for sure.

rayhjr

« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2016, 07:24:55 AM »
FYI. I bought some 12v pixels from this seller also. He has sent me a message and a link to new store:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1728783
[/size][/color]
[/size]Looks like he has more stuff than before and has new pricing which is higher but is Free Shipping.[/color]