Author Topic: Slow movement  (Read 4409 times)

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
Slow movement
« on: September 21, 2015, 09:54:11 AM »
Having a hard time figuring out what could be the problem.  I've got an arch that works great connected up to xlights-etherdongle-usc.  Works as I would expect.  Trying to get that same setup minus replacing the usc with a f16 and the light movement is not what I expect, pretty slow and doesn't match anything like xlights preview or the usc setup.  In fact it does it for other lights connected to it also.  Other thing that seems to be throwing me off is if I go into the xlights test tab (rgb cycle)it seems to respond to speed fine there so kind of lost now.

Any thoughts of what I could look at.  Same element,etherdongle, same cables from laptop to etherdongle and etherdongle to controller.  Only thing different is the f16 vs usc

Videos to show what I see
Etherdongle/usc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYob89Zq_VY

Etherdongle/f16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_HmHSn_nXc

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
Re: Slow movement
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 11:17:07 AM »
More testing it looks like its just output directly from xlights in the sequencer/layout tabs thats causing it.  When saved to a fseq and played by a FP it works just fine (both setups).  Don't remember this happening so Ill have to keep playing to figure out what is different.

At least I know in real light life it works fine :)

Offline Gerry

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 02:09:52 PM »
Are you using multicast or unicast ?
If unicast, do u have any other controller defined that is not connected ?
Gerry

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 02:14:57 PM »
Maybe it's my inner 2 year old coming out, but I have to giggle when I read "Slow Movement"

:-)

Pat

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 02:23:43 PM »
Are you using multicast or unicast ?
If unicast, do u have any other controller defined that is not connected ?

The etherdongle only sends Multicast.

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 02:26:20 PM »
Correct only a single controller, multicast and that's what is setup in xlights, only multicast

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 06:55:44 PM »
Very interesting seems to be something with the 1.2.2 vs 1.2.3 of the falcon controller software that may be causing the issue.

When I program the F16 using 1.2.3 I see the problem (new machine I just rebuilt with windows 10).  Just for a test I went back to my main machine that had 1.2.2 and did a program from there using that and the problem is gone.  Everything works as I would expect.

Offline dave62350

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 10:09:11 AM »
Todd,
I have a similar weird issue and I wonder if they're related.  I am also using an etherdongle connected to a F16 V1.  I posted my problem on the Xlights/Nutcracker site.

http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php?topic=1930.0

I searched their forums and here for others having this issue and so far you're the only one that seems related to mine.  You said you found a workaround with an earlier release of the F16 controller software.  Do you think that is something I should try?  It's not available for download, so I would have to get a copy from yourself or request it from Dave Pitts.

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 10:48:03 AM »
Sent you a PM.  Give that a try and let us know if that helps you.  I was the same exact setup, xlights->ETD->F16v1

Offline corey872

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 16
    • Link to the sale...
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 11:52:05 AM »
I'd be interested to get in on the secret, too.

I dropped a 'pinwheel' effect on a group of 4 window frames (108 nodes each)... (to celebrate the Royals World Series Championship Win!! :) )  ... with the xLights...ETD...F16V1...TM1809 strip setup.   I noticed that instead of the smooth rotation shown in preview the windows displayed a very slow / choppy rendition of the effect.

Now that I think of it, I had a 'fire' effect on those windows for Halloween and it was choppy, too.  Though, interestingly, when the fire effect expands to a group including TM1804 nodes on the porch railing (an additional 384 nodes) as well as the 1809s on the window frame, the effect played correctly across all nodes.
Corey
 2018 uSC, Afterburner, uAmp co-op - pending May-June 2018.  Remaining boards are now FOR SALE

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 12:27:10 PM »
Give this a shot, this is a zip of my 1.2.2 install dir, I couldn't find the original download.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/yldgitktkdi5897/FalconControllerSoftware.zip?dl=0

Offline dave62350

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 03:28:04 PM »
I tried 1.2.2 but it didn't fix my problem and David Pitts didn't think it would either.   He offered to help so he spent about an hour on the phone and on my computer using Teamviewer and Wireshark investigating my issue. The problem appears to be how XL4 communicates with the etherdongle.  XL3 apparently sends data to all nodes all the time which apparently the etherdongle expects.  XL4 sends data to nodes only if needed.  In addition, my last E1.31 universe only uses 4 nodes so data was frequently not sent to that universe exacerbating the issue.  This was most apparent with effects that light relatively few nodes, like some of my spirals. 

For a fix, David suggested three options. 

1.  Continue with XL 3.6.x.  I know this works. 
2.  Use a Raspberry Pi to communicate with the etherdongle instead of my laptop.  Dave assured me this works.
3.  Wait for a fix to XL4.  Dave was going to followup about this with his XL contact.   

Since a Pi is only about $40, I'm going to proceed with that option.

I again express thanks to Dave for taking time from his busy schedule to help me.  It was an honor to talk to him.  What an awesome guy.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 04:05:39 PM »
Well there is more to story and how f16v1 works when receiving two universes. I will give more details when i get home. I spoke with Dan Kulp of Xlights and there maybe a quick fix coming in a couple days. The long term will be enhancements to f16v1 code

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 04:32:01 PM »
I'm using xl4 to an etd to f16v1 and it's working ok now.  I suspect I didn't have the full 4 universes sent to the etd but was funny how I could just program with 1.2.2 and it was fine not changing anything in xl4

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 04:33:44 PM »
But I was going to test more once I was home to confirm