Author Topic: Slow movement  (Read 4668 times)

Offline PittFan

• Kudos: 0
Re: Slow movement
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 07:25:20 PM »
I'm so glad this post was right at the top.  I too am having the same issue.
Last year I used XL3 and now XL4.  Communicating through an EtD using V1Falcon16.  I am using 2 controllers for my megatree.   My setup is essentially the same however I changed my starting channel and added an additional 480 nodes to my megatree.  This did cause one of my V1Falcon16 controllers have nodes exist across a universe boundary (2 and 3). The other controller is only controlling nodes in Universe 1.  (I supplied this info due to what David wrote.)

Today for the first time, I did a test trial and my tree is behaving just as described above for the arch. I spent the day making sure I hadn't set up the channels wrong in Xlights and programmed my controller incorrectly.  Was getting frustrated.  Then I read this!
Now for only a solution.

Interestingly, I had tried a variety of different XL effect and seemed to have problems with them all but not Marquee; one of the newest ones added in the latest version of XL.  I tried lightening effect as well and it didn't look good at all.

I am only using the ETD as a test bed.  I have a FPD and Pi am going to be using for the show.  I'm sure there is a way to test with the FPD and Pi but I don't know how to set that up as a test environment.  Meaning, I don't know how to mess around with Xlights in real time with the FPD/Pi setup. 

BTW: the manual gives instructions on setting up the V1Falcon16 controller for 2 universes.  I'm not entirely sure how to set up the controller to utilize just one universe. 

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 77
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 08:09:38 PM »
The PI/FPD should not have this problem since the PI will always output every 50ms all Pixelnet data to FPD. Dan is working on a solution that will be in Xlights code  when he gets some free time.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline dandameron

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 08:21:52 PM »
Glad it wasn't just me... I had the same issue w/ the jerkiness... I just backed off on the number of channels I was using (which put me into pixel net 4 ) and let it go at that 😳

Offline PittFan

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 09:39:21 PM »
I have been testing this some more.
Sure enough, I get smooth lights when running everything through my Pi/FPD setup and run a test sequence!
Using the ETD with XL3 (v3.11) does not solve the problem however. 
My nodes are the DLA bullets from Ray.

Now for something different and I'm not sure if I should post here start another thread....

When I get my lights running through the Pi/FPD setup, the first 32 nodes of the strings that start a universe boundary don't light up.  However the sequence seems to run very nicely otherwise.  When I was testing using the ETD, even though the lights were choppy, all of them did light.

Here is my setup: 
A Megatree (24 strings of 120 nodes each)
The first channel is 353 (I have DMX upto channel 352).  This will start my first string in the tree and the first 32 nodes don't light.

The 11th string is set to start at channel 4097.  The first 32 nodes don't light. This string is the start of universe 2.
The 22nd string is set to start at channel 8193.  The first 32 nodes don't light.  This string is the start of universe 3.

My first Falcon 16 controller controls the first 10 strings. (Setup for Universe 1 and 4)
The second Falcon 16 controller controls the remaining 14 strings. (Setup for Universe 2 and 3)
The controllers are version 1 and are loaded with v1.0.2 firmware.
My Pi is running FPP version - 0.4.0-64-ge821bc5 (last year's version prior to the xmas holidays).

Thanks in advance.

At first I thought there was a conflict but when I used the same controllers in the ETD/XL4(or XL3) configuration, all the lights do light up.

Any ideas as to why the 32 nodes don't light on the three strings?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 10:24:58 PM »
Can you post screenshots of your xLights network config and your FPP channel output screens?
-
Chris

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 77
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 10:31:50 PM »
Might not be related but Jason is running Xl4 using Unicast and he cannot get 32 lights on his f16v2 to light on any universe past 17. I probed the e131 data and Xlights is not sending the data it is all zeros.  In xl4 test it sends data just not from sequencer or preview. Maybe they are related. Is xlights generating your fseq.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Offline PittFan

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 11:00:54 PM »
I am using XL4 to generate the FSEQ file.

The XL4 screenshots cut off but the universes run to 42.
the Pi screen shot cuts off but the universes run to 44.

Hope that helps

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2015, 11:10:00 PM »
I am using XL4 to generate the FSEQ file.

The XL4 screenshots cut off but the universes run to 42.
the Pi screen shot cuts off but the universes run to 44.

If you can PM me a dropbox location for your .fseq file, I can take a look to see if it is missing Data as David mentioned or at least confirm that there is data in the channels that you are expecting data on.

Offline PittFan

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2015, 05:51:22 PM »
PM was sent.  Just checking to see if you received.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2015, 04:05:45 PM »
PM was sent.  Just checking to see if you received.

Sorry, got it mixed up with another file that came in the same day.

I looked and your .fseq does have data in the channels 4097+, so it sounds like a config issue somewhere.  You posted a screenshot of the FPP E1.31 config earlier, but you are using the FPD to output Pixelnet.  Can you post a screenshot of your FPD config page?

Offline PittFan

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2015, 12:45:14 PM »
Here it is; I just used the default.  My pixelnet starts at 353 and I have DMX at 1-252.

Offline PittFan

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2015, 02:18:05 PM »
Just to continue the issue above about lights being out...
I still have the problem. 
I have now set up my entire display and things are off.

It appears in other elements of my display the pixel count is off by 28 nodes.  Making the 4 smaller matrices I have look strange.
I also have 252 channels of DMX coming out of the last universe port on my FDP and nothing looks correct.
For the Megatree, other than the 32 pixels not lighting at universe boundaries (note above) it seems to work well.
I have rechecked channel counts inside Xlights.  My PI and FPD are set up as noted above.

From inside Xlights using ETD I can check test the first light of various strings and controllers and can control the lights correctly.
If I run a pattern from Xlights it runs correctly on the matrix and my mega tree.

This makes me think something is wrong with my FPD/Pi setup but I am to naive to recognize the problem.  I have spent hours looking at his yesterday.
Is there something from the screen shots that needs to be changed?

I know this probably should be in a different forum but it was started here so I thought I would continue it.  :)

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2015, 04:28:52 PM »
Have you used the Channel Tester page in FPP to confirm that the right pixels light up when you turn on specific channels?  Do those match the pixels that turn on in xLights turns on those same channels?  Pick the first pixel in a string which you know the start channel for and test both xLights and FPP to make sure that the pixel turns on.  If that works, then it will help diagnose why you have blank spots in your pixels lighting.