Author Topic: Repairing ws2811 string  (Read 1701 times)

Offline Jeffl

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
  • Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Repairing ws2811 string
« on: October 05, 2015, 04:48:58 PM »
I need some tips.  I had a string of 25 ws2811  plugged in and one node was going nuts and everything after it was flaky.  Everything before is stable.  I replaced that node and now the node I replaced is dead and everything after it is flaky.

Am I missing a special technique with these?   I figured that once I replaced the node I would be good.

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
Re: Repairing ws2811 string
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 06:18:50 PM »
I recently went through a repair, and found that it was the pixel before the flakey one that must have been sending a bad signal out. I just started cutting out pixels in two's. The flakey one, and the one before.

YMMV.

Offline Jeffl

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 08:34:13 PM »
Thanks.  I cut out the node before and hooked it to a string of 50 and it worked fine.  Replaced it with a new node on the prop and works like new.  Not sure what it was but I tossed them both.  The poor prop hasn't even been used yet.

I guess I need to burn these nodes in before they really get used.  I'm not going to be happy if I see this kind of activity on a prop I can't fix during show time.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 08:51:22 PM »
It is always a good idea to burn in these nodes prior to use.  They come as cheep as they do for a reason.

Offline Jeffl

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 09:49:52 PM »
I read that before but got lazy after testing a ton of regular LED strings without a failure.  Some things I guess you just have to experience before you learn.  Time to give the neighbors a daytime light show early.

Offline gadgetsmith

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 05:33:15 AM »
I have an 1800 pixel mega tree with a 225 pixel topper.
Just one LED failed last year (red portion only), but did so in the first week.

Hopefully you've found your "one"! ☺

Offline Jeffl

• Supporting Member
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 06:37:10 AM »
Luckily these are on candy canes so I will probably have a spare as long as I can get the cord out of the snow.  The ones I'm worried about are 20' up on the roof where they are tough to get at.  And even if I could get them down the clips will break under the cold trying to put the PVC frame back up.

Offline gadgetsmith

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 11:12:31 AM »
I had a red pixel go out on a GECE last year.  It was right in the middle of the ridgeline of a dormer in the front of the house.  It just stayed that way all season!  Funny thing is, when I went to repair it a couple weeks ago... it was working just fine. Damn!  I just know it's gonna happen again, but I can't remember which one it was! Might use my extra string to replace the whole darn thing.  Undecided, but it's the next section going up, so i'll make a decision soon!

All my pixel failures last year were just the red led portion.  Green and Blue still worked fine! ??

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 11:49:32 AM »
You could either replace the whole string or just that small section near where the peak should be.  It looks like a cold solder joint on the pixel board either at the red LED or on the chip pin that controls it.  If you put the string in the freezer for a few hours, you might be able to locate the specific node.

Offline gadgetsmith

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 02:37:28 PM »
That's what I'm thinking. Freezer!.. So simple, and such a good idea! Thanks.  I'm also going to look at some video footage to see if I can determine the node number.