Author Topic: Trouble programming my F16v1 (FPP>FPD)  (Read 5723 times)

Offline txag2008

• Kudos: 0
Trouble programming my F16v1 (FPP>FPD)
« on: October 16, 2015, 10:33:20 PM »
From my FPP browser I can successfully test my lights using the 'Display Testing' page.  From the testing page whenever I turn on 'Green', my lights are blue and whenever I turn on 'Red', my lights are blue.  I am attempting to configure my F16v1 to change color order and pixel count #s on certain ports.   My setup is FPP>FPD>F16v1. 

Through using the Falcon Controller Software, whenever I click 'Program' a blue LED on my FPD and a blue LED on my F16 light up for ~2sec but my lights never blink/flash as I've read they should.  When testing the color order after programming there is no change.  I've attempted both putting the FPP in Standalone Player mode and Bridge mode, but I'm not getting any different results.

Thoughts/Comments/Suggestions?

Details:
  • I'm using Falcon Controller Software v1.2.3
  • I have flashed the FPD with the firmware from the wiki (FPD Alpha 0.0.10 Firmware.hex)
  • My F16 is from the most recent co-op that was already pre-built and pre-programmed.
  • Within the controller software I have the board address set to 0 and I presume I have the correct dipswitch setting of zero on the F16 board.
  • I also have Universe 3 selected within the software and the jumpers set to Universe 3 on the F16. On the FPD I have the jumper on 'Test 1'

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
Re: Trouble programming my F16v1 (FPP>FPD)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 11:31:33 PM »
The jumpers that are on universe 2 and 4 need to be in one of the two positions. You seem to have them only hanging off the bottom pin. Not saying that is the problem but they should be either on universe 2 or universe 4.

Can you post pictures of FPD setup in FPP.

1) When you power f16 does the led on the board blink rapidly?
2) When FPPD is started in FPP does the FPD blue lights blink rapidly immediately after starting FPPD. 

PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 04:39:52 AM »
The test program in the FPP is not for testing whether you have the color order correct or not and least the last time I checked. It is merely to tell you whether you can turn a light on or not. At one time it was being discussed to enhance the testing to do this but I have not seen or heard of any changes in the FPP light test.

The more accurate way to test whether a light is outputting a correct color is through a program like xLights/Nutcracker and it's testing capabilities. In xLights you can turn on a single channel to check if the color order is correct or not.

Putting the 'TESTt' jumper on the F16 will simply turn the lights on all the channels to a rotating RED - GREEN - BLUE - WHITE. If the 'TEST' jumper is in place the F16 will not receive any programming or data information from the FPPD. If you have the 'TEST' jumper in place and no light output then the lights may not be connected correctly to the F16. This function is merely to see if the lights are functioning and connected correctly. You must remove the 'TEST' jumper for the F16 to operate as a controller.

Offline txag2008

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 07:17:02 AM »
The jumpers that are on universe 2 and 4 need to be in one of the two positions. You seem to have them only hanging off the bottom pin. Not saying that is the problem but they should be either on universe 2 or universe 4.
I have now changed the jumper positions to be for 3 & 4.

Can you post pictures of FPD setup in FPP.

1) When you power f16 does the led on the board blink rapidly?
When I power the f16, the led(pwr) doesn't blink rapidly, it's just a solid ON.

2) When FPPD is started in FPP does the FPD blue lights blink rapidly immediately after starting FPPD
When I click 'Enable FPD Output' there is no blue light on either the FPD or F16.  Once I go to Display Testing and click 'Enable Test Mode' both leds(D3 & D4) on the FPD immeditely start blinking blue, as does the blue led on the F16.

Offline txag2008

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 07:21:47 AM »
The test program in the FPP is not for testing whether you have the color order correct or not and least the last time I checked. It is merely to tell you whether you can turn a light on or not. At one time it was being discussed to enhance the testing to do this but I have not seen or heard of any changes in the FPP light test.

The more accurate way to test whether a light is outputting a correct color is through a program like xLights/Nutcracker and it's testing capabilities. In xLights you can turn on a single channel to check if the color order is correct or not.
I'm not necessilay using this as a way to test color order, but when I have different lights and they are turning a different color than the other I know that the color order has to be changed from the controller software.  I also need to edit the pixel count # for each of my F16 ports.

Putting the 'TESTt' jumper on the F16 will simply turn the lights on all the channels to a rotating RED - GREEN - BLUE - WHITE. If the 'TEST' jumper is in place the F16 will not receive any programming or data information from the FPPD. If you have the 'TEST' jumper in place and no light output then the lights may not be connected correctly to the F16. This function is merely to see if the lights are functioning and connected correctly. You must remove the 'TEST' jumper for the F16 to operate as a controller.
I am aware of this and this feature works fine for me.  In this test function my different type of RGB strings cycles through different colors than the others.  This further confirms why I need to change the color order within the controller software.

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 09:32:01 AM »
The blinking blue light indicates that data is being received by the F16 so it sounds like you are ok there.

Offline txag2008

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 10:07:54 AM »

The blinking blue light indicates that data is being received by the F16 so it sounds like you are ok there.
Yes the F16 is clearly receiving data from the FPD since the testing feature from my FPP is working. My problem is in programming my F16.

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 10:38:18 AM »
Just for grins, set the F16 to PN 1.

In the programming software set the Universe select to 1 board address 0. Your FPD looks correctly configured.

Try to program the F16. All the lights attached to the F16 should blink white for a few seconds.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 124
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 10:54:10 AM »
If it has never been programmed to be Universe 3 before, then it is listening for Universe 1.
So, set the jumpers to 1 and 2 for programming. After programming, it should be listening for universe 3

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 11:51:35 AM »
You may be getting blocked by a Firewall or Anti-virus. The programming data is sent differently and may be blocked.

You should be able to do a temporary unblock on them.

Offline txag2008

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 10:27:58 PM »
Based upon your suggestions, I have now set the jumpers on the F16 to 1 & 2. I have attached a screencap of how i have the configuration software setup now.

I have also attached a video of me attempting to program my F16 with this new setup.  Each time I push 'program' on the software, a few nodes on my string light up and just occasionally the blue leds on the FPD and the F16 light up.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5pn2kmvoq37tzc/video%20oct%2017%2C%2011%2012%2002%20pm.mov?dl=0

Jon, I checked and found that my windows firewall is turned off (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Firewall\Customize Settings).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 10:44:05 PM by txag2008 »

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 11:44:50 PM »
I would put jumper back to universe 3. That is the one you are trying to set up. The software/FPD will send the data to universe 3 so those jumpers should be sent to same universe.

If you power up the F16 and that blue Pixelnet lights does not blink rapidly for a few seconds you do not have the latest firmware loaded on the F16. That may explain why I believe the F16 is thinking the command sent is data and not a command. The command packet id was changed to make all controllers (F8, F16, etc) unique. I am confident that the PI, FPD are working fine.  All signs point to wrong firmware version. Have you updated the firmware to be sure it is latest?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 08:41:21 PM »
David, when I enable the FPD output on my RasPi B, and then Restart FPPD as requested, I get 10 rapid flashes of both blue LEDs. Then they go dark and stay dark until I play something (either from xLights or from a loaded FSEQ file).

FPD is running v1.0.10 firmware (on both PICs). I successfully programmed multiple F16-v1's last season. Haven't tried this year (yet), but I will need to.

since I don't have a Pi 2, I can't test that.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 08:42:36 PM »
Thanks his fpd does not blink. I think he needs to reflash it.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Offline txag2008

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 09:32:03 AM »
ISSUE FIXED

Thanks to David's help, he came to the conclusion that it appeared I had the wrong firmware flashed to my FPD.  I found out that I used FPD Alpha 0.0.2 instead of the updated FPD Alpha 0.0.10.  I'm not sure how this happened, but it definitely was the culprit.

I am now able to program my F16 successfully.  Thanks to everyone for your help.