Author Topic: ssc firmware  (Read 5076 times)

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Kudos: 0
  • believe in miracles
ssc firmware
« on: October 22, 2013, 08:03:09 PM »
I have ssc's from dla. Will I need to repick the ssc's to falcon firmware or do I leave it as is? I do have  v1 with  v3 mods.
Its a wonderful life.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
Re: ssc firmware
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 08:07:55 PM »
You reflash the firmware and then you must hook each one up individually (only one physically connected at a time) and use the Falcon config software to configure each one.  Once you have each configured separately you can configure any one even though all the others are connected.  A very nice setup.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• believe in miracles
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 08:19:36 PM »
Is falcon superior to the dla firmware or do I leave it?

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 08:40:47 PM »
i think daves firmware fixed a lag probelm i was having. i have 40 some ssc v'3. last season i had lag on half of my megatree. i had an acv and passive hub. i tried everything. switch hardware, switch hubs. no matter what i did the upper half of my tree would lag on effects like spirals and meteors.

i burned my ssc v'3 to daves firmware, instant fix to the lag. i dont know what is different, just crip effects. all of my ssc's are now running daves firmware. i also like that i dont need to climb on the roof to change channel numbers

Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline Travailen

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 10:05:02 PM »

So far, my experience is that the Falcon SSC firmware is superior to the DLA firmware. I like the tabular way the interface works to help me keep track of my SSC configurations and I like the ability to remotely, if necessary, reprogram a SCC.

Rick

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 12:04:39 AM »
Has anyone compared the behavior of DLA v4 to Falcon v3 ?

I intended to use v4 for some potentially troublesome square modules.
Since I had a limited number of v4, I've been updating old SSCs to v3 and planned to use Falcon firmware.

But, I'm now wondering if shelving v4 might be a better choice.

There still is not Falcon v4 firmware... right?  I suspect that it would be on the bottom of the list since v4 uses a new PIC.
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 80
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 12:24:44 AM »
Has anyone compared the behavior of DLA v4 to Falcon v3 ?

I intended to use v4 for some potentially troublesome square modules.
Since I had a limited number of v4, I've been updating old SSCs to v3 and planned to use Falcon firmware.

But, I'm now wondering if shelving v4 might be a better choice.

There still is not Falcon v4 firmware... right?  I suspect that it would be on the bottom of the list since v4 uses a new PIC.

I would be willing to look at v4 firmware if I had one. Someone want to send me one. Because of the limited memory the added advantage may be just the ability to program without jumper.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 01:41:58 AM »
I have a broken v4 that I'd donate. :)
I checked all the solder points, I built 9 others without issue, so I had some in front of me for part comparison.
Unfortunately the 9 I have are/will be driving the coroflakes, so i'd want to keep them nearby.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 09:20:05 AM »
Might have an extra but need to double check. 

There was a comment made about the programming being limited to one universe.  Is that just the initial programming?

Would anyone care to comment about the fades with Falcon SSC software?  Not sure how Ray or China is doing it but the tiny little 2010thx controller is way smoother than the SSCs. 
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 09:53:41 AM »
In a conversation with rdbolt, it appears that he is sending a v4 to David to address another problem that I wasn't aware of -- incompatibility with v4 and the FPD.

With that v4, hopefully David can address both with his spare time. :)

The v4 (in)compatibility with FPD is troublesome for my plans, I'll either need to build more v3s or re-introduce a EtD into my setup.

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 11:57:17 AM »
I would think the universe limitation would be where it is connected to.  By design any of the SSC versions on receive data on the universe 1 pins as the rest are used with power.  so you have to remember you can by default have 4 physical units have the same channel number in the ssc - but be in different universes depending on how a hub etc is setup.  its a short coming of the pixelnet protocol the way we want to use it - not as it was designed.

Tony

There was a comment made about the programming being limited to one universe.  Is that just the initial programming?

Would anyone care to comment about the fades with Falcon SSC software?  Not sure how Ray or China is doing it but the tiny little 2010thx controller is way smoother than the SSCs.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 80
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 12:00:18 PM »
It was just when programming. The software at this time only sends to universe 1 but i will be changing it to output data on all four. Maybe when I am looking into v4 compatibility. Does FPD work with DLA V3 firmware?

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 03:01:13 PM »
I would think the universe limitation would be where it is connected to.  By design any of the SSC versions on receive data on the universe 1 pins as the rest are used with power.  so you have to remember you can by default have 4 physical units have the same channel number in the ssc - but be in different universes depending on how a hub etc is setup.  its a short coming of the pixelnet protocol the way we want to use it - not as it was designed.

Tony

Coming out of a EtD you have 4 pairs, without power.
Coming out of the FPD you should have 3 connectors, each with 4 pairs -- and again with no power.
The hub is responsible for selecting one of the four pairs, putting it on pins 1+2 and adding the power.  this is given to the SSCs.

Assuming the original v4/FPD test was done with an smart string hub -- and not directly to the FPD, everything SHOULD work.

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 03:36:05 PM »

Does FPD work with DLA V3 firmware?

Will test tonight.

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 04:04:41 PM »

Does FPD work with DLA V3 firmware?

David I would have to say no. DMX works through Active hub, but not an SSC V3.

I have a set of flex strips that are on my bench. All I have to do is go from FPD to ETD and the lights work in test mode with X-Lights.