Author Topic: ssc firmware  (Read 5070 times)

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
Re: ssc firmware
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 06:30:15 PM »
That depends on the SSC programing util - Falcons does the same as DLA at the moment - everything on Universe 1 - David said he is gonna change it so it will go out to all 4 universes.

Thing is right now to program a SSC with a channel number in Unv 2, 3 or 4 - it needs to be plugged into a Unv 1 Hub for it to see the program data as the SSC util is only sending out on Unv 1 at the moment - this will be a moot point here soon according to David.

Tony

I would think the universe limitation would be where it is connected to.  By design any of the SSC versions on receive data on the universe 1 pins as the rest are used with power.  so you have to remember you can by default have 4 physical units have the same channel number in the ssc - but be in different universes depending on how a hub etc is setup.  its a short coming of the pixelnet protocol the way we want to use it - not as it was designed.

Tony

Might have an extra but need to double check. 

There was a comment made about the programming being limited to one universe.  Is that just the initial programming?

Would anyone care to comment about the fades with Falcon SSC software?  Not sure how Ray or China is doing it but the tiny little 2010thx controller is way smoother than the SSCs.

Coming out of a EtD you have 4 pairs, without power.
Coming out of the FPD you should have 3 connectors, each with 4 pairs -- and again with no power.
The hub is responsible for selecting one of the four pairs, putting it on pins 1+2 and adding the power.  this is given to the SSCs.

Assuming the original v4/FPD test was done with an smart string hub -- and not directly to the FPD, everything SHOULD work.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 06:54:51 PM »
Thanks guys.  Starting to click... 
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 06:51:05 AM »
Made some progress on the ramp/fade issue and it might be sequencing related.  I am testing and will report back. 

Offline Travailen

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 11:30:20 AM »
Has anyone compared the behavior of DLA v4 to Falcon v3 ?

I intended to use v4 for some potentially troublesome square modules.
Since I had a limited number of v4, I've been updating old SSCs to v3 and planned to use Falcon firmware.

But, I'm now wondering if shelving v4 might be a better choice.

There still is not Falcon v4 firmware... right?  I suspect that it would be on the bottom of the list since v4 uses a new PIC.

Steve,
I have set my V4s aside. I will be running all V3s until I discover a compelling reason to use V4s. I am happy with the Falcon V3 software. I think it is an improvement over the DLA SSC software and frankly, if there ever are any issues with the Falcon SSC software, I am fully satisfied that David would quickly get it sorted out.

Rick S

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 01:19:35 PM »

Since I had a limited number of v4, I've been updating old SSCs to v3 and planned to use Falcon firmware.

There still is not Falcon v4 firmware... right?  I suspect that it would be on the bottom of the list since v4 uses a new PIC.

Steve,
I have set my V4s aside. I will be running all V3s until I discover a compelling reason to use V4s. I am happy with the Falcon V3 software. I think it is an improvement over the DLA SSC software and frankly, if there ever are any issues with the Falcon SSC software, I am fully satisfied that David would quickly get it sorted out.

Rick S

Fortunately, I didn't sell off all of my v2 kits. :)
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Travailen

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 01:37:03 PM »

Steve,

Rick S

Fortunately, I didn't sell off all of my v2 kits. :)
Good decision because I prefer the V1 wiring arrangements.  ;D

Rick S

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2013, 04:57:56 PM »
I would like to design a mini scc the same size as the cheap $7 dmx modules that are out there - even design to fit in those same tiny cases - but it would have to be surface mount and and I dont know how well that would go over.....

tony

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2013, 06:04:42 PM »
I would like to design a mini scc the same size as the cheap $7 dmx modules that are out there - even design to fit in those same tiny cases - but it would have to be surface mount and and I dont know how well that would go over.....

tony

pixelnet?  there are some dmx options out there, like this from Ray Wu:

DMX- SPI decoder,support 10 kinds of different pixel IC,can choose your required IC by the dip switch  (US $16.00)

But, having a pixelnet solution -- or better, having the choice between DMX or Pixelnet with a firmware selection -- would be great.

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 09:13:48 PM »

but it would have to be surface mount and and I dont know how well that would go over.....

tony

I would not have a problem with that!

Offline arw01

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2013, 12:12:21 AM »
Since I am a newcomer to the hobby and only have ssc v4's, I feel left out of the club!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 4

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 07:30:04 AM »
Since I am a newcomer to the hobby and only have ssc v4's, I feel left out of the club!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 4

I might part with some of my "vintage" V2 boards if the price is right...   ;D

Like nearly ALL of my ideas: it could either be great or horrible, but here goes...  Maybe while Dave is working on v4 firmware, he could develop test firmware first and offer/give to someone who needs it...

Offline arw01

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 10:55:38 AM »
Are we certain that a V4 or two are on their way to Dave?  I have a couple that are soldered up except for pigtails that I would gladly put into shipping tomorrow to Dave as I will have more than enough for this season after I make a couple more.

Alan

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 08:14:22 AM »
I will be real interested in try this once it is multi universe and V4 is supported.  But then again I would need to mod two dozen SSCv3.1 to current v3 mod...  Can anyone comment whether Falcon would work on a first v3 mod SSC?  Blew a few pics over the weekend so I am not willing to test without a go ahead from someone...   

I can still use my etd/conductor if I use Falcon SSC programming, right?

Sam AKA "Stupid Question Boy"

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 10:02:56 AM »
I sure would like to see a table that shows the differences between v1, v2, v3, v4, (...and v3.1??) 
incredibly it seems more fruitful to ask those questions outside of DLA -- than inside DLA.  :-\

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 10:37:04 AM »
I sure would like to see a table that shows the differences between v1, v2, v3, v4, (...and v3.1??) 
incredibly it seems more fruitful to ask those questions outside of DLA -- than inside DLA.  :-\

I agree just for curiosity sake, and add in what Falcon's firmware I get for each version too.

Ill be honest I'm running v1 and v2 boards without a single issue (DLA firmware) and I'm adding some v4 boards in also this year.  I'm one of those people if its not broke don't fix it unless I've got a good reason, like I want this feature :) 

Heck I'm still using the old conductor firmware because it worked for me last year, ran Halloween and Christmas.  Also this year for going on 17 days straight.  I'm sure Sam is going to smack me saying that, someone else already did too :)