Author Topic: Config Output - give me a clue  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Santa

• Kudos: 0
  • Hey, That's Santa!
    • Check out my professional Santa page.
Config Output - give me a clue
« on: October 23, 2013, 06:22:40 AM »
I'm still not getting anything I'd call 'predictable' as far as Pi output. I'm certain it is because I don't understand what I'm supposed to be doing with the two output config screens: Universes and Pixelnet/DMX.

Can someone please write a sentence or two about how these are used?
I can't find ANY documentation and I'm tired of guessing and testing, guessing and testing, guessing and testing.

I'm just trying to output 16 channels of non-rgb (actually treated as 18 rgb channels since SD only does rgb) and 150 channels of rgb to a single SanDevices e6804 which will in turn output the 16 channels on DMX to LOR, and 50 pixels of 2811. I really don't want to have to run 4 wires out of my camper to run my show from a laptop when I know the Pi can do it wirelessly at the display.

In case you're wondering, folks go nuts decorating their sites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground (which is a boat-ride from the Magic Kingdom) and I'm hoping to have my singing pumpkin face and maybe some strip running in a portable show. We leave this weekend.

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
Re: Config Output - give me a clue
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 06:36:59 AM »
Santa - Can you post a screen shot of your FPP output settings?  I am uploading the video that covers basic setup of universes and I use San Devices products in my demo.  I'm sure I can help you if I could understand how your E6804 and FPP are setup.

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 06:49:28 AM »
I re-read your post again.  One more question.... Is the E6804 handling all of your lights both DMX to LOR and the 50 pixels of 2811s?  That's kind of what it sounds like from your post. 

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 124
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:03:21 AM »
I'm certain it is because I don't understand what I'm supposed to be doing with the two output config screens: Universes and Pixelnet/DMX.

If you aren't using the FPD (the add on board using a ribbon cable) then the DMX/Pixelnet screen is not used at all, so ignore it.
While that may not answer your primary question, it should remove one concern.

Offline Santa

• Hey, That's Santa!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 11:40:04 AM »
Thanks for the help. That's right, I'm not using the FPD, and I am using the 6804 as my main controller. Port 1 is capable of outputting DMX (and Renard) in addition to pixel code, so I am using it to act as an e1.31->DMX512 bridge (which then controls my LOR box). I am sequencing using LSP 2.8 and exporting to Conductor then using XLights to create the fseq. Odd thing. I tried converting an old LOR sequence created for a single 16 channel controller, and it drives both the pumpkin face (7 channels of the LOR box, and the first several pixels of my strip. That's the first few channels of both universe 1 and universe 3.

For some reason I can't embed images, so here are off-site links:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ep6osbmnf5146q/Universes.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mnnd8o1bf69kqf/PC.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4a9pdemjdq22z2r/SD-Config.jpg

I truly appreciate any help.

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 11:44:55 AM »
Right off the bat I see the first problem.  Universe 3 should start at 17 if Universe 1 stops at 16. 

still looking at other stuff but that is a definite problem

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 11:52:15 AM »
Ok - I also see another issue but I am not positive of the correct config. I really believe it is one of two ways.

On the E6804 you have

Universe 1 set as channels set for 1-18  Although I realize you are not using channels 17 and 18
So Universe 3 may really need to start at 19 since you are really skipping two channels from Universe 1  (Edit: I really should read my posts before hitting send..... Anyway, I  do not intend for you to change anything on the E6804.  All the changes you need will be on the Pi and I think it's one of the two options below....really the first one I think is the correct one.)

So what I believe the Pi should be set for is this.

Universe 1  Start 1  Size 18
Universe 3 Start 19 Size 150

If that is not it then maybe just starting Universe 3 at 17 (Edit: and stopping Universe 1 at 16) is ok..... But I really think the above is going to be the correct config.

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 12:02:10 PM »
Grrrrr.... Instead of continuing to butcher my last post I am going to clarify in a new post.  I am now starting to think it really all depends on how your sequence is done.  If you don't have a Universe 1 channel 17 and 18 defined in your sequence the the second option could definitely apply.  So I think it is one of two setups on the Pi.

Either:
Universe 1  Start 1  Size 18
Universe 3 Start 19 Size 150

Or
Universe 1  Start 1  Size 16
Universe 3 Start 17 Size 150

But one of those HAS to work in my humble opinion.

Alan

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 12:29:34 PM »
Well now I'm just trying to get my post count up...lol

Make sure to restart the FPPD (Falcon Pi Player Daemon) any time you change the Universe config.  The button to do that is on the status page.  I hate for you to try my recommendations only to fail because you forgot to restart the daemon after making the changes.

Alan

Offline Santa

• Hey, That's Santa!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 04:30:24 PM »
Thanks Alan for all the assistance. I now have my lights performing predictably from LSP, at least. I had to start fresh with a proper configuration, I could not simply correct the configuration for an existing sequence. So now it works, but I have to start over on my sequencing.

I still cannot get any output when playing converted files from FPP, but then again I cannot get XLights to play anything, either, so the problem seems to be somewhere further upstream. Or I just can't figure out XLights. Or something is broken. Or, ah heck, I don't know. Looks like I'll be packing my 485 and laptop. Pi is about to get mothballed for a few weeks. Thanks again for all the effort! Oh, and I appreciate the video, too. It looks so easy! LOL

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 05:15:35 PM »
I'm sorry you had to start over on some sequences. When you mention converting sequences what were you starting with LOR or LSP? Of course there are others on here much more knowledgable about getting sequences converted (ahem - Sean Meighan or Frankr)  My goal was to get your Pi setup correctly so sounds like you are there.  Don't give up on xlights/nutcracker it's fantastic once you get to know it.

Alan

Offline Santa

• Hey, That's Santa!
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 10:27:42 AM »
Ok, just wanted to chime back in to confirm that my problem exists somewhere between LSP and getting to fseq. I decided to drop the $70 to upgrade LOR to advanced to give me e1.31 capability and I'm able to add RGB strips to my singing pumpkin sequences from last year (16-channel LOR controlled) and convert those to .fseq and run from FPP, so I'm kinda in business. I won't be able to do anything fancy with the strips (like I could in LSP) but at least I can get them to WORK. Thanks again for the help. Maybe after this trip I can really settle in and figure out the LSP->XLights part, but that'll have to wait... got a camper to pack!

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 77
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 11:09:38 AM »
We have tested converting from LSP to .fseq files with Frank's Light Elf with success.

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,231.0.html
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline Santa

• Hey, That's Santa!
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 11:20:07 AM »
Yeah, I had my own cluster of problems trying to install LightElf... well, really with trying to install one of the python components needed to run LightElf. Another one of those I'll-figure-it-out-when-I-have-more-than-fifteen-free-minutes kinda things! Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 77
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 11:22:23 AM »
The problem most have is they install the wrong version of the two. Both programs need to be the same bit length. I use the 32-bit version of both.