Author Topic: Size for UPS  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Kjam22

• Kudos: 0
Size for UPS
« on: November 02, 2015, 01:17:12 PM »
I want to use a UPS for the power on my Pis and BBB's.  I am looking for something that will keep the controllers from tripping out during surges or short interruptions.  How much power do these draw?  How would I determine the duration that the UPS will support the controllers?

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
Re: Size for UPS
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 06:00:15 PM »
This really depends on the number and type of batteries that the USP is running on and how many of these devices you intend to connect to it.  Many of the UPS builders have calculators on their web sites that will give you the runtime based on a given load.  How long on average do you want the UPS to support your devices?

Offline Kjam22

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 11:26:57 AM »
I am just looking for something that will keep the Pis and BBBs up for about 20-30min.  I worry about loss of connectivity when they reboot at power loss and I may not be around to get them working again

Offline mello_roberto

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 12:27:22 PM »
I have 1 meter on one of my Pi2 and it says 20W.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 43
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 12:29:39 PM »
I have 1 meter on one of my Pi2 and it says 20W.
Are you sure about that?  My PiB+ only uses 2W
-Mark

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 209
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 12:32:34 PM »
I could see 20w being a ballpark number for a Pi with all 4 USB ports full and a 50% efficient wall wart power supply.

5V with a 2A power supply would be 10W, add in a 50% efficient wall wart and you could be at 20W actual power draw at the wall.
-
Chris

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 43
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 12:34:55 PM »
I am just looking for something that will keep the Pis and BBBs up for about 20-30min.  I worry about loss of connectivity when they reboot at power loss and I may not be around to get them working again
Adding a UPS is certainly your choice and won't hurt anything.  But I don't think you need to worry too much about connectivity after reboot.  I have several Pi players all running in Master/Slave configuration and have rebooted and power-cycled all of them at different times.  They always seem to start right up and reconnect to each other no problems.  One of the many things I love about the Pi players is they start up reliably and run like the energizer bunny. 

Have you had issues with this already?

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 12:35:12 PM »
FWIW -
I run the Pi and all the wall warts and a Laptop on a standard Desktop UPS.
APC Back-Ups 550

Pat

Offline jholmes

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 09:59:24 PM »
I'm finding I accidentally corrupt my files a lot when power gets cut without proper reboot. That's what I really want the unit for. Particularly since it seems some of these Pi Hat UPS units have built-in shutdown features.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 123
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 03:53:41 PM »
I'm finding I accidentally corrupt my files a lot when power gets cut without proper reboot.

Are you using the uSD card for setting and log storage? That's when I had a few corruption problems.

I've switched back to using USB flash drives now. While always best to do a shutdown, the flash drive setup seems more tolerant for power loss (especially when logging is minimal)

My PiZero just has the single USB and it has my wireless, so it is my "susceptible" unit for now. I could add a powered hub, but then the Zero no longer has a size benefit - might as well use a Pi with four ports, then.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 07:53:03 PM »
I was about to put my PI Zero to work with my modified landscape lights tonight but with two 1 or 2 second power failures within a few hours has put that on hold until I can get a UPS put in place.  Now it's just a matter on whether to buy a new one or get some replacement batteries for one of my older ones. 

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
  • Kudos: 32
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 08:52:15 PM »
Another thought. If all you want is to protect the Pi from power loss, instead of a UPS, you might consider one of those portable USB batteries, a lot of them I've seen allow for you to draw power while charging it and put out 2.4a. You'd just need to insert it inline between your power supply and the Pi. You'd probably get a few hours runtime depending on the size of the battery used.

"And what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day."

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 07:45:21 AM »
The problem with this is that most of these batteries are designed and regulated to put out 1.2V.  The lithium cells that they are based on only put out 3.7V so even if unregulated, (and I did find one set that isn't) a single cell battery does not have enough voltage to properly power the PI.  If you know of a battery that would work in this situation then please post a link.  The space savings alone would be worth going this route if possible.

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 08:38:21 AM »
Like the Anker PowerCore or other similar type devices. Amazon has a few AmazonBasic Power Banks that seem pretty nice and inexpensive.

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 07:10:43 PM »
I was doing some cleanup in the office tonight and I rediscovered my USB power meter and did some playing around. I connected my Pi3 through the power meter to a AmazonBasic 5600mAh Power Bank. At idle, the Pi3 is drawing only 0.26A at 5.15V from the power bank, but it does not provide power while charging. Then I connected it to my Anker Astro E5 16000mAh and the draw is 0.26A at 5.36V, but it also does not power while charging. And I finally I connected it to my Limefuel 24000mAh and the draw is 0.27A at 4.96V and it DOES power while charging.

So it looks like this is a possibility if you shop carefully and by the right power bank.