Author Topic: Size for UPS  (Read 3020 times)

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
Re: Size for UPS
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 07:43:58 PM »
As far as size goes, I agree completely.  The down side is that you need to do the research to make sure that you find one that puts out power while charging and that you find the right cable to connect the PI to it.  You also need to find a power supply big enough to both power the PI and charge the power bank at the same time and the cable to connect them together.  If size isn't a big issue, a small UPS is much easier.  In my case, I looked into my equipment closet and found a small UPS.  $15.00 for a new battery and all is up and running. 

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 10:16:39 PM »
ThreeSizes, is there any power blip on the Limewire when the charging power line is connected and disconnected? (Or the AC plugged and unplugged)

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
  • Kudos: 32
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 01:34:22 PM »
ThreeSizes, is there any power blip on the Limewire when the charging power line is connected and disconnected? (Or the AC plugged and unplugged)

Not that I saw, I can play around with it some more tonight and see.

"And what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day."

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
  • Kudos: 32
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 08:36:35 PM »

Not that I saw, I can play around with it some more tonight and see.

I played around with it some more. I did not see any power drops when I connected or disconnected the charger from the power bank multiple times. I also ran it for a few hours on battery and then connected the charger up to see what would happen after an "extended drain" on the battery and still didn't see any (it's a 24000mAh, so at 0.27A the battery would last about 3.5 days there about). I did notice that the voltage on battery was very slowly like 0.01V decreasing over time but it was still it only got to about 4.94V from a start at 4.96V.

Offline EmmienLightFan

• Kudos: -6
  • One of few displays in the UK | Pixels | 220v
    • Alpha Road Christmas Lights
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »
A cheap alternative is a USB battery bank. Some will output 2a and they will charge and power a device fine. As soon as you unplug the mains power supply, the output stays on.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 08:53:08 AM »
Not all of them will output power while charging so you need to make sure that the one you intend to use will.

Offline jholmes

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 06:25:09 PM »
I did find some batteries that will provide power even when plugged in but the issue I am running into is that when the battery is plugged into both the AC outlet and the Pi, the voltage drops to dangerous levels.

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 06:26:38 PM »
mine will not charge while outputting power

adafruit has just a device for what your looking for - it will charge a poly and run the output at the same time

I would have to go search for it again on their site - but I did post the url for it at one time here for another person looking for the same thing

Myk