Author Topic: To fuse or not to fuse  (Read 539 times)

Offline uzelessknowledge

• Kudos: 2
To fuse or not to fuse
« on: November 02, 2015, 06:51:07 PM »
Ok P10 people. I read and was told that fuses are a wise idea for pixels. How about for p10's?
Most of the pics I've seen for p10's look like the wires are connected directly to the PSU. Should I put fuses on my p10's?
Thanks.

Travis
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 48
Re: To fuse or not to fuse
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 07:33:23 PM »
Fuses are a good idea to protect the power supply but I really doubt that they will blow fast enough to save a panel.

Offline uzelessknowledge

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 07:43:59 PM »
So I put a meter on 3 panels and they pulled 2.9 to 3 amps on all white. Put them on a 5amp fuse or would you do each one on its own 1 amp or maybe a 2?

Travis

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 08:07:47 PM »
That really depends on what you want to accomplish.  Using a single fuse will shut down the entire display if one of the panels shorts out where separate fuses will simply cut off the bad panel and let the rest of them keep working.  Separate fuses will also reduce the amount of headroom needed in the sizing and headroom is never a good thing with solid state circuits.

Offline uzelessknowledge

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 08:13:52 PM »
Can you explain headroom?

Travis

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 65
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 08:28:58 PM »
I read and was told that fuses are a wise idea for pixels.

I read a lot of Christmas forums everyday and I do not ever recall seeing a lot of discussion on adding fuses other than the ones that are designed into the controllers.  Where are you getting this info?  I have been running pixels for several years now and have never seen a need to do this.  Not saying you should or should not, but this seems like a personal preference to me.  Kind of like do you power everything off when the show is not running.  Just my 2 cents, YMMV
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 08:52:01 PM »
Can you explain headroom?

Travis

Headroom is the excess current being allowed by the fuse.  As an example, you have an electric motor and under normal conditions it draws 3A.  If you then put a 5A fuse in the line, you have given the circuit 2A of headroom or excess capability.  Now in an electric motor circuit, this is in most situations a requirement because electric motors will draw more current under load but of you were to exceed the maximum safe current rating of the motor, then it would become a bad thing.  Solid state circuits tend to have a much tighter current range and if you want the fuse to be effective, you need to stay in that range.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 117
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 06:49:39 AM »
My opinion is that adding fuses to P10 panels is unnecessary and a waste of time and money.
My pixel controllers have fuses on each output, so no extra fuses on my pixel strings, either.