Author Topic: Its Me Bob-O Software  (Read 11254 times)

Offline taybrynn

• Kudos: 8
    • RockinChristmas Facebook Page
Its Me Bob-O Software
« on: October 25, 2013, 08:39:25 AM »
Does anyone have any first hand experience with any of these free LOR rgb utilities?

http://itsmebob.com/SD.html

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
Re: Its Me Bob-O Software
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 09:00:22 AM »
bob has created great utilities. they all work, do what they say and are fast.

the only issue is they are geared only to LOR users. They produce files that you can paste int your existing LOR sequences.

his latest is spex, this is a spectrum analyzer.

Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 10:18:17 AM »
I will check that out... I ignored them the first time I heard, because of lor dependency.  Your idea of importing was great -- as usual.
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline taybrynn

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 10:56:47 AM »
What I am really looking for is this RGB conversion capability, see the picture below (its wide).

Sean, do you think this could somehow become a single string effect of some kind?

IMHO, if LOR had just given this simple RGB conversion capability they could have made the conversion to RGB so much easier for the masses.

I mean, most people who started in the A/C string based channels world ... eventually migrated into several strings (single color each string) and like me, when they got to RGB ... the conversion to RGB was incorrect blend of the original channels, or you just had to decide which one to keep and which to scrap -- basically a manual pain in the neck.

So my graphic below illustrates, or attempts to illustrate that while a simple "blended" conversion to RGB is pretty simple and easy ... converting combinations into their "visual" equivalents in RGB nodes really has never been made easy by anyone that I have seen.  My proposal is that a 2-color combination converts to an alternating 2-channel pattern color1,color2,color1,color2,...
I also propose in the same way that a 3-color combination converts to an alternating 3-channel pattern color1,color2,color3,color1,color2,color3,...

This assumes some things on my part, like that you generally have closer target spacing (nodes) and that a pattern (vs. a blend) is the desired way to convert to RGB.

For me, I could convert almost my entire show to RGB with this capability.  Would it really be a great use of RGB?  No.   Would it get me going this year super quick?  Yes   I think it would allow people to spend future years actually programming/re-programming to cooler effects.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 11:07:16 AM by taybrynn »

Offline mms

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 2
    • Lone Tree Light Show on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 11:01:17 AM »
What I am really looking for is this RGB conversion capability, see the picture below (its wide).

Sean, do you think this could somehow become a single string effect of some kind?

Are you wanting to generate a red-green-white (or some combination) chase when all your house lines were on?  Or are you wanting something that's stagnant but has all those colors?

Offline taybrynn

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 11:09:25 AM »
I am not wanting a chase, but just a static pattern.

So RED+GREEN becomes RED, GREEN, RED, GREEN, ...

But a chase effect option could be another way to make the target more interesting.
I don't think its quite the visual equivalent and might be a little more "vegas"-y but
still would have its uses.

Offline Kevin

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 0
    • Colorado Christmas
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 11:13:03 AM »
I haven't used the RGB converter yet, but have heard several people say it works great.  I do use his clipboard flipper, and I use his Vegomatic to output my channel lists in different order.  Bob's a good guy and will help you with any questions you might have.

He modified the Vegomatic to include Pixelnet Channels for me, so now I can group my Megatree channels in various different orders and placed into tracks. i.e. channels listed top to bottom, left to right, and RGB breakout. And it creates the LOR animation screens as well for the elements.    His Vegomatic and Matrix program do not do near the effects that Nutcracker does though, but they each have their own strengths.
-------------------------
Kevin
Colorado Christmas

Offline taybrynn

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 11:35:36 AM »
Thanks Kevin.

Yes, maybe I'll email him my ideas ... he seems very capable of coming up with the solutions ... and while its limited to LOR, that works for me since I'm sitting
on 20-30 LOR sequences still.

Offline mms

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 2
    • Lone Tree Light Show on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 11:43:27 AM »
I am not wanting a chase, but just a static pattern.

So RED+GREEN becomes RED, GREEN, RED, GREEN, ...

But a chase effect option could be another way to make the target more interesting.
I don't think its quite the visual equivalent and might be a little more "vegas"-y but
still would have its uses.

I can generate the static red, green, red, green, etc. for you, but there will be a ton of pasting required.  (It would be one "frame" for all your nodes and you would have to paste for the number of frames you need.)  It sounds like there may be more automated and faster ways to achieve this.

Offline taybrynn

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 08:00:55 AM »
I'm just very surprised that there isn't a bigger demand for this out there.  I mean, so many people used "super strings" ... or 3 or 4 channel strings ... to get 'color changing' ... but converting that into something sensible on the RGB side seems to be totally missing in all of the sequencers out there.

Offline smeighan

• Developer
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 12:00:40 PM »
Hi Scott

I will implement this into nutcracker if I can clearly understand how u want it to work.

Say you have arches wrapped in red/green. U have 6 segments on the arch. Your arch,therefor, takes 12 channels.

You replace the arch with one smart rgb string. You want that the new arch would have red/green and 6 segments of lights?

Give me more examples of what you have now and what you want it to look like afterwards.

I think if I pulled the timing marks out from your lor sequence that would be a major help

Offline taybrynn

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 08:04:31 AM »
Thanks Sean .

I think the basic capability would be to accept (up to) 4 channels as inputs.
These would also be associated with single r,g,b,white .... Must only one channel
Per color ... And must pick at least one channel.

Then the target object would be selected.

Your arch example is confusing me since I only do white on them.

I will use the generic example of a "superstring" made of 3 strings of traditional mini lights ... One string is red,
One is green and one is white.

We are also assuming sequencing exists already, so I would pick the correct channel for
The source red, green and white that correspond to the superstring mentioned above.

Because 3 channels were selected, the target rgb object would replicate the programming into a 3 channel pattern.
So entire sequence for source red would replicate into red on target rgb node1, node4, ...
Source green would replicate into green on node2, node5, ...
Source white would replicate into white on node3, node6, ...

So say you only entered 2 source channels, you could pick a red source channel and green source channel
Then entire sequence would replicate source red into rgb target node1, node3, ...
And would replicate source green into rgb target node2, node4, ...

If you picked only one source channel, then it would replicate that color into the target model for all target rgb nodes or you
Could possibly (as an alternative?) specify the target rgb string mode channel instead?

If you picked channels for all four source colors, then it would replicate into target rgb as a four channel pattern.

Again, I wonder if this makes sense in nutcracker or nut, or as a bob o type utility?    But I see that there is a need for those who have
Used super strings in any capacity and any type of display item.

I have also shown this example to bob o.

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 08:37:54 AM »
could I simplify this to say that you want to have RGB strings that emulate single color LED/incans?

when "on" that RGB string would take on the assigned color... maybe with dimming.

of you wanted a single RGB string to replace a red string, and a green string, and a white string... then you could create multiple strings in NC each with a different color definition... but sharing the same channel number assignments.

would that achieve your goal?

Offline smeighan

• Developer
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 09:20:49 AM »
could I simplify this to say that you want to have RGB strings that emulate single color LED/incans?

when "on" that RGB string would take on the assigned color... maybe with dimming.

of you wanted a single RGB string to replace a red string, and a green string, and a white string... then you could create multiple strings in NC each with a different color definition... but sharing the same channel number assignments.

would that achieve your goal?

i think he is saying if he had an eave with red/green incandescents

when his lor sequence selected red, the eave would be nodes 1,3,5,7 ... RED
if he selected green it would be 2,4,6,8 ....
if he selected both you would see alternating lights, r,g,r,g,r

if he had a 3 string eave
r,g,b
if red is selected in lor then the smart rgb eave would be 1,4,7,10,...
green would be 2,5,8,11,....
blue would be 3,6,9,,12,....

Scott , is that the summary?

your goal is that anything strung with single color multi wrap lights would not blend the lights but still show separate colors

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 11:23:17 AM »
Scott and I both like the ability with incans or straight LED strings to have a tree be two colors simultaneously.  For instance I have in my 2012 and earlier sequences times when only the blue and green or the green and white or the red and green, etc were lit.  Same goes for my mini trees although I only have 3 colors on them as opposed to 4 colors on the mega tree.  I tried doing alternating red and green bulbs on my windows and eaves and it looks fine up close, but from the street the colors tend to blend together.  I believe that it would look better to have every two nodes be the alternate color, but in my opinion it still will not look as good as having two separate strings lit up.  That is one of the reasons that I have kept my mega tree and my mini trees as individual color LED strings and put up a shorter 7ft pixel tree to play with the RGB effects.  They both have their place, but my wife and I are not going to give up the big mega to RGB lights unless we someday could afford to have 64 strings of RGB like we have 64 strings of LEDs.  Maybe 64 dumb strings would do the job, but I'm not ready to find out.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5