Author Topic: Schedule a show to start and stop on a dime?  (Read 864 times)

Offline RobO

• Kudos: 0
Schedule a show to start and stop on a dime?
« on: October 26, 2013, 01:48:28 AM »
Hey guys, I trying to figure out how to have my show start and stop exactly every 30mins.  I run 2 different 30minute shows for Christmas. I want the show start right on the dime and stop at 29.90minutes, or so, and repeat. That way visitors can see the show from the beginning if they chose to.

I have a very small Halloween display running right now to test the pi. It has thriller as the audio. But I noticed that when the show is supposed to stop by time on the scheduler. The song finishes gracefully, which is usually 3 minutes past the scheduled end time.

Should I add a bunch of short, 10sec,  sequence with no lights/audio.  To try and end the show on time?

Offline arw01

Re: Schedule a show to start and stop on a dime?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 08:26:21 AM »
My guess is the Pi player forks the audio stream and it's running in it's own process until it completes.  I suspect your short period idea would be an excellent solution to that issue.  I've been considering adding some little bleeps, boops, and ta dings between songs to do some weird little chase, color flashes, whatever to snibbets just to toss some different stuff in there for different audience members.  Thought next year if I get a mega tree up, that I would maybe try a couple of light saber clashes with sound and a fading "Luke I am your father" type stuff.  A couple one liners from movies might be a neat end to your show, makes the audience engage their brains trying to think who and when and what that line was said in.

Offline pk

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 09:45:46 AM »
the purpose of the stop gracefully feature was to avoid stopping in the middle of a sequence/song.  If a song is playing when the show is scheduled to end, it completes that song and then stops. 

Offline RobO

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 03:04:30 PM »
Right, im  going to try running just a sequence with no audio to see if that solves it tonight.