Author Topic: RASclock fodder.........  (Read 2980 times)

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
RASclock fodder.........
« on: October 29, 2013, 05:33:33 PM »
So I spent my $17 bucks on the RASclock so that I could complete a brief tutorial on setting one up.

As materdaddy has already stated - it is quiet easy.   However, I have hit a snag that will be a problem for junior non-linux users.   

We need the users to connect the Pi to the internet to at least pull down the latest FPP build mainly because the Alpha build on source forge doesn't have many of the new supported features (such as support for .ogg files that help with timing issues)

However, once you connect the Pi to the internet it populates dns search info into the resolv.conf file, which in turn causes the pi to act sluggish once it's disconnected from the network which is the only real reason to have the RASclock....  I really don't want to start teaching vi but we need to clear the entries in the resolv.conf file for the pi to behave nicely again once it's back on the private network.

Ideas--???

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: RASclock fodder.........
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 05:43:42 PM »
echo "" > /etc/resolv.conf
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 05:52:10 PM »
haha --- ok, I should have been more clear. I don't want to have to explain the difference between putty and ssh.  Meaning no login privileges at all.

But you're right that would be simple enough.  Except it would have to be: sudo echo "" > /etc/resolv.conf

But I digress.....

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 06:34:54 PM »
Alan,

Last night I watched your videos.  EXCELLENT!!
I started over with my setup using your installation process.
I followed each step as you covered it and everything worked without issue.

You have done a great job as well describing the ordering process... I know people get confused about a DIY product that you order already assembled from Amazon.

I also setup the FPD within minutes... I had worried that I might need to do a lot of reading, but with the dev team's great effort, it was straightforward and done without that reading.

Thanks!

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 06:59:35 PM »
Thanks Steve -  I know you are one of the more accomplished DIY'ers in our hobby.  You are always willing to share your knowledge at our Austin meetups.  I have "kind of" decided the one thing I can do is start sharing the limited experience I have in this hobby by creating tutorials.  I wanted to make sure I put forth a quality effort.  The last thing I want to do is cause more confusion for those looking to enter the hobby.  So it really means a lot when the most senior members of our group confirm that my time and effort were well spent.

Alan

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 07:40:54 PM »
senior?? :o

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 08:54:25 PM »
senior?? :o

Sorry I know with this new fangled internet thing sometimes it's hard to convey the appropriate message.... By Senior I meant Old!  8)

Offline Materdaddy

• Kudos: 10
    • Christmas On Quiet Hills
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 09:43:36 PM »
This is interesting.  So when DHCP fails, it doesn't re-write /etc/resolve.conf to an empty file?  I use linux all the time, but always connected to a network so I'm not sure if this is a debian issue, the way the FPP image is configured or what.  This is definitely something worth looking into though.  I've added a bug to GitHub: https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/issues/32

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 11:32:13 PM »
try manual edit of /etc/resolv.conf and put

search fpp local

before the nameserver line and tell me what happens

Tony

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 06:54:07 AM »
This morning I did a little more testing.

MyKroft - The problem is specifically with the nameserver setting in resolv.conf which means just adding the "search fpp local" entry did not help. Clearing the resolv.conf and adding search fpp local had the same effect as just clearing the file. 

Materdaddy - that is correct.  After a successful connection to a DHCP server the resolv.conf file is populated.  I have not yet found a scenario where the file is either cleared or re-written with new information automatically.  Maybe with a different DHCP server (Not yet tested)

The two scenarios that correct this problem are:
1. clearing the resolv.conf file
2.Changing the nameserver setting to the FPP ip address such as: nameserver 192.168.0.10   

Either way is no big deal.  I was just trying to keep people off the terminal if at all possible.  I'm done testing for now and will play with it more this afternoon.

Alan

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 08:24:35 AM »
Is there a school somewhere that I can go learn all of this stuff?? Teaching an "Old" man new tricks could be very difficult. I just wish that I understood all of this stuff!  :o   :-\ 

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 09:03:21 AM »
Is there a school somewhere that I can go learn all of this stuff?? Teaching an "Old" man new tricks could be very difficult. I just wish that I understood all of this stuff!  :o   :-\

Are you wanting to learn about the FPP (Falcon Pi Player)?  If so I have created some videos training guides that I hope work very well for all the non-technical users out there.  Hopefully, over time I will have videos covering most if not all the Falcon gear but for now I am concentrating on "de-mistifying" the FPP for all the newer users out there. 

The Videos are on vimeo.  Here is a link to the first one:  https://vimeo.com/77569318   The goal was for this to be a step by step on setup of an FPP.  Hopefully these will be helpful to you.

I intend to have a RasClock video sometime soon.  Once I work through what the developers would like to have as "best practice" when using a RasClock.

If you know nothing about the FPP please take the time to watch the videos.  I would really like to have some feed back from someone who doesn't completely understand the FPP.

Thanks,
Alan

Offline Materdaddy

• Kudos: 10
    • Christmas On Quiet Hills
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 09:33:35 AM »

If you're talking about linux in general, I learned some at school (CS degree, but most classes are programming/math, not unix/linux) and trial by fire.  I ran gentoo for years, which is a difficult distro to use since you compile and configure everything from source.  I learned a great deal this way, but it was over a period of probably 5 years.  I also loved it, so it was easy to keep interested and work at it.

Most of the stuff we're talking about here doesn't need to be regular knowledge for our average user.  We're discussing ways of making things easier/better for our average user.

As much as I think everybody should move away from M$ products, I believe they have their place, and a headless linux system isn't really the place to go!

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 10:40:04 AM »
If you have the inclination, the spare hardware, and the time to do it After blinky blinky season, then building and using a Linux from scratch system will bring you leaps and bounds in a hurry!

Look up Linux from scratch . org

I will probably sell my conductor at the end of the season and just go fpp instead as I like the extra flexibility it gives.

I assume we can run this on a stock wheezy if we are so inclined to roll our own a bit?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 11:01:25 AM »
I will probably sell my conductor at the end of the season and just go fpp instead as I like the extra flexibility it gives.
That's good... do it at the end of the season.

I still need to get mine posted.  ;)

Now that I'm successfully using FPP, FPD, and F16 together... I only see a need to keep a few SS Hubs and SSCs... and maybe an EtD for nostolgia. :)