Author Topic: RASclock fodder.........  (Read 2977 times)

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
Re: RASclock fodder.........
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 01:35:59 PM »
I would like to see a unicast firmware for the etd - that would extend its life

Tony

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 01:52:56 PM »

Are you wanting to learn about the FPP (Falcon Pi Player)?  If so I have created some videos training guides that I hope work very well for all the non-technical users out there.  Hopefully, over time I will have videos covering most if not all the Falcon gear but for now I am concentrating on "de-mistifying" the FPP for all the newer users out there. 

The Videos are on vimeo.  Here is a link to the first one:  https://vimeo.com/77569318   The goal was for this to be a step by step on setup of an FPP.  Hopefully these will be helpful to you.

I intend to have a RasClock video sometime soon.  Once I work through what the developers would like to have as "best practice" when using a RasClock.

If you know nothing about the FPP please take the time to watch the videos.  I would really like to have some feed back from someone who doesn't completely understand the FPP.

Thanks,
Alan

No I already have a Pi, FPD, and 16s in use. I just wish that I knew more about code! I have already watched you videos and they are awesome!

I would like to understand how the Pi really works though. David helped me get mine set up and he is quickly learning that I am a slow learner! LOL
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 02:11:20 PM by rdebolt »

Offline Materdaddy

• Kudos: 10
    • Christmas On Quiet Hills
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 03:22:55 PM »
If you have the inclination, the spare hardware, and the time to do it After blinky blinky season, then building and using a Linux from scratch system will bring you leaps and bounds in a hurry!

Look up Linux from scratch . org

I will probably sell my conductor at the end of the season and just go fpp instead as I like the extra flexibility it gives.

I assume we can run this on a stock wheezy if we are so inclined to roll our own a bit?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

If you are so inclined, yes.  I actually run it on my wheezy install at home and work for most development work, then do some last minute testing on the PI before pushing to github.

There are certain things about getting it working that are tricky depending on how you want to do them.  For instance, I didn't want to give my www-data user sudo access, nor run apache as my user.  Getting sound playback is an issue, and other tweaks.  Those are things we can discuss in another thread if you go this route at any point.  It's not necessarily the target for the software package, so we won't "officially" support other linux distros, but if you have questions, ask away.  I believe CaptainMurdoch is running it on some version of FC as well.

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 06:45:04 PM »
I would like to see a unicast firmware for the etd - that would extend its life

Tony

This seems to be a forum where "bad stuff" can be discussed.  :-X

When RJ posted test images for the EtD that allowed 3 units to coexist on a network such that you could have 12 pixelnet universes driven by your sequencer, I compared the 3 images (unique images for units 1, 2 and 3).  As I looked at them I saw that they only varied by the Multicast IP address.

So... I think if you overwrote the multicast value with a static unicast IP address, you might be able to get what you need today.

Please don't report me.   ::)
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro