Author Topic: Disabling FPP auto-update  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Disabling FPP auto-update
« on: October 30, 2013, 12:30:13 PM »
I like the auto-update feature... very cool.

However, as we start to get close to the beginning of the show, I will wish to limit the updates to changes that fix what I need, and ignore the rest.

I'm thinking of a way to subscribe for a "stable channel" of code releases, and a "dev channel" that pushes the current stuff -- in whatever it's condition. 
Further, one option should be an "opt-out" selection... no updates are applied when this is in effect.

Have you already solved this issue?
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline bajadahl

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
Re: Disabling FPP auto-update
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 12:46:16 PM »
It's solved....They are only pushing bad updates to you.  The good ones go to everyone else.....    :P

Seriously it has been brought up as an issue.... Not sure where we stand with this.

Offline Skunberg

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 01:16:54 PM »
I just don't connect mine to the network unless I want a update.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 01:28:50 PM »
but that is more fuss !   ;)

I had expected to keep it connected to my wireless network so that I can manage the show remotely...  even starting songs from the street.

I'm sure that I could disable the update process, but my question was more around exposing this option at the UI  to benefit other users.

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 01:31:50 PM »
It will update if connected to the net during boot - if you dont reboot it - it will not update for the time being

Tony

Update - or block github in your router

Offline Materdaddy

• Kudos: 10
    • Christmas On Quiet Hills
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 03:25:03 PM »
CaptainMurdoch brought this up a while ago and it was talked about.  As far as I know, not much has been done in this regard, but the plan was to do something like have "dev" and "stable" branches and a way in the UI to switch branches so that you could get on "stable" and you likely won't get an update during a "display season" or unless a major bug needed addressing.  This will also help us developers test code on other branches more easily.

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »
CaptainMurdoch brought this up a while ago and it was talked about.  As far as I know, not much has been done in this regard, but the plan was to do something like have "dev" and "stable" branches and a way in the UI to switch branches so that you could get on "stable" and you likely won't get an update during a "display season" or unless a major bug needed addressing.  This will also help us developers test code on other branches more easily.

steve; maybe edit rc.local and comment out the github call would take care of it for now?
Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 209
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 03:39:15 PM »
This is on my short-term TODO list.  When I do get tot it, I plan on at least having the following options:

- a checkbox to enable/disable automatic updates
- a button to force an update (for when they're disabled or without having to reboot)
- a dropdown to switch branches (to either run master or stable or another feature branch for testing)

I hope to have time to do this before Thanksgiving.  I have most of the ideas in my head already, just need to
do a bit of coding.  Lately I've been concentrating on the lights/audio sync in master and some new features
which are in stage and my own branch so that I can get those out ASAP after Halloween.  I am 99% done with
the mods to allow videos and events in playlists so you can play a video out the Pi display or call out to an
external script.  This also includes the ability to manually trigger events and overlay effects onto a running
sequence via the command line or web interface.

For now, you can follow Sean's advice to edit rc.local and just run "git pull" manually if you want to update.
-
Chris

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 209
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 02:48:37 AM »
This is on my short-term TODO list.  When I do get to it...

I thought about this a bit this afternoon and went ahead and coded it up tonight.  The 3 items I
described are now working in my branch.  Once I give them a bit more testing with a pristine
Alpha 0.1.0 SD image, then I'll merge them into stage so they can be merged into master and
released in the near future.

You will be able to enable/disable automatic updates, force an update without rebooting, and switch
branches through the UI.  I also added logging for these operations viewable through the
improved file manager/upload screen.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 05:07:48 AM »
Chris - I made an entry in GitHub, too, but the latest build Version: f97f00b isn't liking Google Chrome. The Menu Bar is "sliding" in from right to left, leaving only the Wiki entry.

works fine in IE10 though.

Offline Materdaddy

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 08:41:45 AM »

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 09:14:55 AM »
Weird, last night I only removed direct url references to the 2 .js file since they were already in the js folder and didnt want the GUI looking out on the net for them when I user was not on the net.

Tony

Offline Materdaddy

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 10:20:23 AM »
It was likely the commit before that, but nobody updated/noticed when it was the tip of master.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Kudos: 0
  • believe in miracles
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 07:02:58 AM »
After reading this post, are we gonna have any issues at all if we are hooked to the net via wired or wireless? I haven't gotten the chance to do any benching yet and am not aware of any issues that may occur. I agree with Steve, if there is a way to opt out then I would like that option as long as its working fine. For those using it for their Halloween shows, is there any issues yet? This is all new product for me.
Its a wonderful life.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 07:19:54 AM »
If I can upload a 59 MB fseq file while the FPP is running and not affect performance I don't think that the performance will be affected by downloading these small updates.

sent from my Galaxy Note