Author Topic: Disabling FPP auto-update  (Read 3390 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Disabling FPP auto-update
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 08:54:52 AM »
If I can upload a 59 MB fseq file while the FPP is running and not affect performance I don't think that the performance will be affected by downloading these small updates.

sent from my Galaxy Note

well, on that topic...  I had a simple sequence with 512 channels that I played through FPD.  At the same time I had a ssh session open and was running "top".  The SSH session basically froze...  when I stopped the sequence from the web UI the SSH session returned to normal.

I suspect that the fpp process is running under high priority and starving other user-level processes.

Not a problem, that is where priority should be given... but it would lead me to believe that we are limited to what can be done outside of the fpp process while a sequence is running.
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 77
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 09:10:34 AM »
If I can upload a 59 MB fseq file while the FPP is running and not affect performance I don't think that the performance will be affected by downloading these small updates.

sent from my Galaxy Note

well, on that topic...  I had a simple sequence with 512 channels that I played through FPD.  At the same time I had a ssh session open and was running "top".  The SSH session basically froze...  when I stopped the sequence from the web UI the SSH session returned to normal.

I suspect that the fpp process is running under high priority and starving other user-level processes.

Not a problem, that is where priority should be given... but it would lead me to believe that we are limited to what can be done outside of the fpp process while a sequence is running.

I have not seen that problem. I would suspect that although you only had 512 channels you had multiple universes of E131 setup and they were multicast. So when the show was playing the mulicast was bringing down your network.  The FPD use the SPI output of PI that does not lag the network connection to PI.

The FPPD daemon when outputting just to the FPD board uses 7% of the PI processor. When FPPD is outputting to 64 universes E131 and 32K channels to FPD it was 25%. So something is wrong or you are flooding the network with mulicast traffic.

A suggestion may be to place the EtherDongle and Pi wires to one router or switch and control Pi with a wireless connection.

PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline Materdaddy

• Kudos: 10
    • Christmas On Quiet Hills
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 10:13:54 AM »

sent from my Galaxy Note

My guess is he's not necessarily worried about the performance, but was referring more to the fact that a bug can be introduced that can negatively affect your show.

I'm hoping CaptainMurdoch can get a couple of his TODO items in/done in the next couple of weeks.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 01:00:05 PM »
I'm hoping CaptainMurdoch can get a couple of his TODO items in/done in the next couple of weeks.

My changes in this area are ready, I just need to do one more thing before I fully merge my branch to
stage for some better/wider testing and then on to master.  MyKroft is working on one change to the SD
image that I want to make sure I handle correctly in my code then I'm ready to push (to stage).

So, barring any show-stoppers (pun intended) :)  I'd think we could push stage to master in
the next week or so.

On a similar topic to the auto-update, one new feature that might be a nice-to-have would be to make a
snapshot backup of the configuration and git code prior to doing an upgrade.  Then if there was an
issue the user could roll back.  I'd have to put that one on the TODO for next  year though. :)
-
Chris

Offline Materdaddy

• Kudos: 10
    • Christmas On Quiet Hills
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 02:06:28 PM »

My changes in this area are ready, I just need to do one more thing before I fully merge my branch to
stage for some better/wider testing and then on to master.  MyKroft is working on one change to the SD
image that I want to make sure I handle correctly in my code then I'm ready to push (to stage).

So, barring any show-stoppers (pun intended) :)  I'd think we could push stage to master in
the next week or so.

On a similar topic to the auto-update, one new feature that might be a nice-to-have would be to make a
snapshot backup of the configuration and git code prior to doing an upgrade.  Then if there was an
issue the user could roll back.  I'd have to put that one on the TODO for next  year though. :)

Awesome.  Didn't mean to call you out, but I knew you had some of the discussed work on your TODO list.