Author Topic: Alpha 0.1.2 - Required Update -- in-place update, or fresh install from image?  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
because the update info was placed in front of the "fresh install" instructions, does that mean an in-place update is not possible or recommended?
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
Need to format SD card and extract zip file

Tony

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
Stuff is being put into place so in the future - should not have to download new image when "under the hood" changes are made

Tony

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
no problem.  thanks!

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 124
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
I have downloaded the Alpha 0.1.2 but won't install until Sunday or Monday - my Halloween display will run one more night (Saturday).

Not quite willing to do that.

Actually, I changed my mind - I bought matching SD cards for this purpose. I'll leave the 0.1.0 on that card and put 0.1.2 on the spare/test card.

OK, done and used the Time Change feature (and it worked, though why are there SO MANY entries for Indiana????? )

Jon
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 10:14:29 PM by JonB256 »

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
Dunno on the Indiana entries - its readying direct from the timezone structure

The 1st time you boot up - it will grab a update as I forgot one path change in the startup script - only thing it will do is not auto start the fppd daemon the 1st time, any subsequent boots will start it just fine.

Tony

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
last-night I down load the new image before going out to dinner,
this morning setting an matching SD cards & format SD card and extract zip file :D

Looking good also used the Time Change feature  8)

thanks!!
Jerry Plak

Offline budude

• Kudos: 0
Followed the instructions and it booted up OK but fpp doesn't seem to be working. I get "Couldn't open config file /home/pi/media/settings" in the browser and I don't see fppd running. I rebooted a couple times...

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 124
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
I get "Couldn't open config file /home/pi/media/settings" in the browser and I don't see fppd running. I rebooted a couple times...

Do you have another USB flash drive? Maybe that one has something scrambled on it. Happened to me once.

sent from my Galaxy Note

Offline mkozik1

• Kudos: 1
Had problems with my Conductor for Halloween, for some reason it kept stopping the DMX stream and letting the audio continue. I had to restart the show several times manually to get through.  I downloaded this new version earlier today, applied it to my Pi, reflashed my EtherDongle to DMX, removed the Conductor, removed the Active Hub, loaded up the same sequences to the Pi and it worked like a champ.  Used Sean's method uploading files via FileZilla, very simple and fast.  Easily controlled via my iPad where I can manually start and stop my sequences to test. 

LOVE IT!!  Thanks for all the hard work - Continuing to play!!
- Mark

Offline budude

I get "Couldn't open config file /home/pi/media/settings" in the browser and I don't see fppd running. I rebooted a couple times...

Do you have another USB flash drive? Maybe that one has something scrambled on it. Happened to me once.

sent from my Galaxy Note

Did you mean SD card? I do not have USB drive installed at the moment - is that necessary for boot-up? I know it wasn't before. Anyway - will install a fresh USB drive and reboot but not sure why the fppd doesn't show up ('which fppd' doesn't show it either...).

Offline budude

OK - something learned - put in the USB drive and all is well - now hopefully I can get my RASclock working this time!

Thanks!

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
Fat32 formatted USB flash drive has already been a requirement.  That is where all your media/settings/config etc is stored.

Tony

Offline budude

Fat32 formatted USB flash drive has already been a requirement.  That is where all your media/settings/config etc is stored.

Tony

Yep - didn't know that - can I suggest you mention that in the install instructions for this Alpha release? For us complete newbs it would be a good reminder. Either way - looking forward to using it. Looks like I do have a bad RASClock board though - nothing I do gets it recognized - may have to drag out the scope and take a look...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 07:02:36 PM by MyKroFt »

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
What do I need to get started sticky - http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,200.0.html

#3 on basic items list....

Tony