Author Topic: Pi connector for the P10's, anyone make them? If I wanted to run 2 panels  (Read 3968 times)

Offline Livermore-Dad

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 0
I was thinking of running a couple of panels off my Pi's in my windows, and with 3 PI's sitting here, seems like a good plan. Was not sure if someone made or knew where to buy a pre-made p10 adaptor for the P10 panels?

Thanks
Tory
I know some stuff. For example i know I don't know anything.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
Re: Pi connector for the P10's, anyone make them? If I wanted to run 2 panels
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 10:13:58 AM »
I don't think there are any pre-made ones available.  I made a few passive boards to allow connecting panels to the Pi and put the files up on oshpark.  These will probably need to be replaced next year.

I want to upgrade the library version we are using.  The new library code has changed the pinout to get better performance out of the Pi and drive multiple chains with more panels on each chain.  The new code can drive 3 chains of panels off a single A+/B+/Bv2.  The library author also has included a PCB design but it uses SMD components, so I may try to make a through-hole version with level shifters.  The README on github talks about supporting upwards of 10 panels per chain on a Pi v2 using the new code.  Even if it would only support 2-3 per chain on a A/B/B+/Zero, being able to drive 6-9 panels from a Pi zero for $20 or so counting the adapter PCB+BOM would be a nice option for users.
-
Chris

Offline Livermore-Dad

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 10:39:30 AM »
I don't think there are any pre-made ones available.  I made a few passive boards to allow connecting panels to the Pi and put the files up on oshpark.  These will probably need to be replaced next year.

I want to upgrade the library version we are using.  The new library code has changed the pinout to get better performance out of the Pi and drive multiple chains with more panels on each chain.  The new code can drive 3 chains of panels off a single A+/B+/Bv2.  The library author also has included a PCB design but it uses SMD components, so I may try to make a through-hole version with level shifters.  The README on github talks about supporting upwards of 10 panels per chain on a Pi v2 using the new code.  Even if it would only support 2-3 per chain on a A/B/B+/Zero, being able to drive 6-9 panels from a Pi zero for $20 or so counting the adapter PCB+BOM would be a nice option for users.

Ahh for sure that sounds great. I can wait, having fun playing with the panels on the BBB for now :)

Thanks
Tory

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 10:51:27 AM »

Captain, the V1.1 version that Pat and I built, is that supported in these latest versions of FPP?
Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 11:38:52 AM »
Captain, the V1.1 version that Pat and I built, is that supported in these latest versions of FPP?

Yes.  I haven't even looked at adding support for the new library yet, so the existing PCB's still work.  I want to see if I can patch the library to have a run-time config option, but if that is anything more than 'simple', then it won't be worth it since the new library code and pinout is supposed to be such an improvement.

Offline darylc

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 03:31:05 PM »
I was thinking of running a couple of panels off my Pi's in my windows, and with 3 PI's sitting here, seems like a good plan. Was not sure if someone made or knew where to buy a pre-made p10 adaptor for the P10 panels?

Hi Tory,

Adafruit also make one if you are desperate:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/2345

Daryl

Offline Livermore-Dad

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 03:37:23 PM »

Hi Tory,

Adafruit also make one if you are desperate:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/2345

Daryl

Ohh look at that.. But I can wait, sure something will come out of this group. :) I know when I first got the panels, I made a quick connecter with wires and hotglue :) to test the panels, so I know I can drive off just the GPIO pins, but I need a nice cable solution.  I'm sure someone will come up with something, but am in no hurry now. My Pi's stayed in my drawer this year (kind of waste of 4 systems), but the 2 BBB's were used (these were new for me to play with).

Thanks!
Tory

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
Pi connector for the P10's, anyone make them? If I wanted to run 2 panels
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 04:56:45 PM »
The adafruit one uses a different pinout, they changed the library for their board so it is not supported by FPP.  You would have to install their patched library.  I want to try to support both the old and new library pinouts as well as the adafruit pinout if possible in 2016 when I upgrade the library that FPP is using.

I'm sure someone will make a board for the new library pinout in 2016 even if I have to do it and put it on oshpark.  If we can have a $5 Pi Zero with wifi dongle and $10-15 adapter board that could drive 4-12 or more panels (as reported by the library author) the that would make a really nice option for a remote Tune To sign.  I'm interested in the wifi connectivity via the ESP board as well if that could be used to MutiSync the Pi without taking the USB port.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 05:03:37 PM by CaptainMurdoch »

Offline Livermore-Dad

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 05:43:57 PM »
The adafruit one uses a different pinout, they changed the library for their board so it is not supported by FPP.  You would have to install their patched library.  I want to try to support both the old and new library pinouts as well as the adafruit pinout if possible in 2016 when I upgrade the library that FPP is using.

I'm sure someone will make a board for the new library pinout in 2016 even if I have to do it and put it on oshpark.  If we can have a $5 Pi Zero with wifi dongle and $10-15 adapter board that could drive 4-12 or more panels (as reported by the library author) the that would make a really nice option for a remote Tune To sign.  I'm interested in the wifi connectivity via the ESP board as well if that could be used to MutiSync the Pi without taking the USB port.

This times infinity! :)

Also very interested in smaller wireless boards for clothing, vehicle and other use :))

Tory

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 08:42:03 PM »

I'm interested in using the little hats that you created this year Chris with V1.7 as I need access to some of the other GPIO pins for this project.  Let me know if I can help test anything for you. The piZero with a header would be AWESOME as well.

Offline ronp

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 06:13:47 PM »

This is the year of the PI. If you can point me to a link for the pin out you need, I will do an adapter board for panels.

Ron

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 02:43:22 PM »

This is the year of the PI. If you can point me to a link for the pin out you need, I will do an adapter board for panels.

Great.  Thanks.  I thought about messaging you about this, but didn't want to detract from interest in your E1.31 bridges.

I think what we need is a through-hole version of this active board by the library author:  https://github.com/hzeller/rpi-rgb-led-matrix/tree/master/adapter/active-3  The layout could probably be a little better as well to make it fit within the Pi footprint rather than hanging off the end.

When I went to grab the above link to Henner's github repo, I found that he has added a passive version of the board which he has also uploaded to oshpark:   https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/FNAtZUsP

I think that most users will want the recommended active version, but I haven't tested the output quality of the passive.  The Octoscroller is mostly passive and we're not having any issues with that, although there is a separate thread about making an active adapter board to allow a longer distance between the octoscroller and first panel.

I ordered a set of Henner's 3-output passive board and the single-output board from OSH Park so I will have something to test against when I upgrade the library FPP is using.

Offline ronp

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 06:58:54 PM »
I don't mind making the board, because of the PI zero, this is the right thing to do for everyone. There is always a need for a hardware guy, because I can do things you can't do in software. Also, it does not detract from my controller since mine is brighter and has less flicker (higher refresh rate).

Actually the active board doesn't look all that bad, I will do a through hole version with a RTC.

Ron
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:51:17 PM by ronp »

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 09:42:10 PM »
Great, thanks.  We are very glad to have your participation and input here.