Author Topic: (Solved)F16- Not receiving pixelnet or doing test mode  (Read 3123 times)

Offline sebjsan

• Kudos: 0
(Solved)F16- Not receiving pixelnet or doing test mode
« on: December 13, 2015, 09:53:51 AM »
Hi All,
When i first powered up the f16 the test mode on the board didnt do anything. I tried the light test through the fpd and it receives the pixelnet from it (blue lights up). I reflashed the pic to see if that was the problem and now i get nothing. I have flashed it about 8 times now and nothing. The FPD is flashed with the latest firmware and blinking with blue lights. FYI i have never been able to get lights out from the PI,FPD,F16. Trying the simplest method to do so. I think.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 10:42:18 PM by sebjsan »

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
Re: F16- Not receiving pixelnet or doing test mode
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 05:20:41 AM »
Something is wrong if no test mode with F16.  Using pickit 2?  Requires pickit3 as 32 bit chip.   
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline sebjsan

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 08:03:45 AM »
Used pickit 3. When it was first powered up before me altering the loaded firmware the test mode didnt do anything either. Thats why i re flashed it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 08:20:44 AM »
Have you ever "programmed" the F16V1 with the v1.2.3 software? If it thinks there are zero pixels on the outputs, that is what you'll get - zero output.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 08:55:02 AM »
Not sure what versions I am running as it all works (so I don't care ;D) but I was under the impression test mode overrides the programming, maybe that changed.  All leds on ports lit?  First time I used the F16 I was confused and used the port farthest left (16) and only powered ports 1-8 (on right) so no power to port 16...  :o   Also, you 100% sure you got the lights connected right/connector/wires fully seated?  L to R: Data, -,+.  BGR.  Easy to invert.  DAKMIKT  ;D  Connector also takes some getting used to setting wires.  On a fresh connectors the screws are tightened already.   Back the screw out 3-4 turns, insert wire at top and tighten.  I was doing it backwards/upside down tightening to bottom and wires made no contact...   

Offline sebjsan

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 10:51:06 AM »
Have you ever "programmed" the F16V1 with the v1.2.3 software? If it thinks there are zero pixels on the outputs, that is what you'll get - zero output.

I have tried using the programmer to do so, but it wont take. This is what i believe leads me to the F16 not being programmed with the PICKIT 3 correctly. From what i understand, the blue light blinks at start up for the F16. This means its programmed correctly, put on test mode and nothing.

Q's
I have windows 10, is this an issue?
Should the test mode work even if the F16 isnt programmed thru the v1.2.3 software?

Offline sebjsan

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 10:52:42 AM »
Not sure what versions I am running as it all works (so I don't care ;D) but I was under the impression test mode overrides the programming, maybe that changed.  All leds on ports lit?  First time I used the F16 I was confused and used the port farthest left (16) and only powered ports 1-8 (on right) so no power to port 16...  :o   Also, you 100% sure you got the lights connected right/connector/wires fully seated?  L to R: Data, -,+.  BGR.  Easy to invert.  DAKMIKT  ;D  Connector also takes some getting used to setting wires.  On a fresh connectors the screws are tightened already.   Back the screw out 3-4 turns, insert wire at top and tighten.  I was doing it backwards/upside down tightening to bottom and wires made no contact...

All LED on all ports and power lit.I have the lights on port 1. Wired correctly. Connected thru connector properly. Thanks for the info :)

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 10:57:38 AM »
Should the test mode work even if the F16 isnt programmed thru the v1.2.3 software?

I would definitely try flashing on another machine!  Hopefully David will confirm, but it is my understanding that yes, test mode should work without programming from the utility.

Offline t.jo13

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 03:33:47 PM »

I would definitely try flashing on another machine!  Hopefully David will confirm, but it is my understanding that yes, test mode should work without programming from the utility.

+1   that is what i found test will work without programming, just got done setting up 4 of them.  but the f16 needs to be flashed correctly. Not sure about windows 10 , but  the picket works on 8.1, and I also put power setting on picket then plugged in f16 . All of them took the first time no problems. Double check to make sure kyou are selecting the proper pic and have loaded the right hex file. I have used the wrong hex file a time or 2 .

Joe

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 06:46:34 PM »
Windows 10 works fine with Mplab and the Pickit3

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 05:20:40 AM »
David confirmed test mode should work prior to programming with utility.  (See clarification below)

I wondered about applying power with pic programming.  Something I'd also try. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 07:57:33 AM by zwiller »

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• believe in miracles
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 07:10:02 AM »
A few posts back, I asked this question about a f16 I purchased on the this site and I did not have  test mode until I picked it. I am using windows 10 and i think I used v1.2.2 utility. But I'm 100% sure I had no ability to test without reprogramming the chip. Dave suggested me to program again and it worked.
Its a wonderful life.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 07:33:36 AM »
Oops.  Let me clarify.  Test mode should run when pic is properly flashed/programmed with it's firmware hex file but not yet setup/programmed via Falcon Controller Software Utility.  Clear as mud?  ;D

Another thing I would check would be to verify PS is outputting at least 12v...

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• believe in miracles
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 07:50:38 AM »

Double check to make sure you are selecting the proper pic and have loaded the right hex file. I have used the wrong hex file a time or 2 .

Joe
I second this. I have done this as well.

Offline sebjsan

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 08:51:18 PM »
ok, Finally got test mode to work. First pixel was bad and not sending data to the rest of the pixels behind it. Now i need to get my output set up correctly.