Author Topic: warning about jumpers...  (Read 632 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
warning about jumpers...
« on: December 24, 2015, 02:33:51 AM »
I fought several problems as i brought up my show this year...  bad ethernet cables, bad 4-core cables, ray wu power supplies that would overheat and turn off, and more.

the one that really threw me...  the newer black jumpers on the falcon boards with the easy-to-grab tabs had their inner brass connectors fall out of the plastic sleeve.  in the dark, its hard to notice, and the connectors sometime remain on the old pins -- and sometimes fall down to other electrical parts.  (I had this happen to me twice today...  the first was hard to notice, but the second was no longer a surprise.)

if you move jumpers around a lot -- ie. universe selection, consider swapping the jumpers with something more reliable, like the blue ones!
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 209
warning about jumpers...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 08:28:56 AM »
I had this happen with the jumper on one of my f16 v1 boards when playing with test mode.  Luckily it was in my lighted garage during testing so I saw it right away but it did make me jump quick to turn off the power strip feeding the test equipment.  I have a note on my TODO to replace mine.
-
Chris

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
Re: warning about jumpers...
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 09:16:26 AM »
Always the little things...  Man, I can imagine what fun you had!  Recently had a board not taking programming and long story short, cold weather causing power supply to sag/too low.  Leds still lit but fainter.  Warmed it up and all was fine. 

Thanks for posting. 
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653